Clicking sound when climbing steep hills in 4-lo

silverbackjk

Hey Guys,

I am having some trouble tracking down a rotational clicking sound in 4-lo when climbing up steep hills. I have checked u-joints and they look OK they are factory. My cost 1310 drive shaft looks good. Not sure what else this could be? I want to do new front axle shafts but don't want to spend the money till i find out what is causing this in case it something expensive. Here is a quick run down of my setup. 3.5 rk lift 35's dana 30 front axle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys,

I am having some trouble tracking down a rotational clicking sound in 4-lo when climbing up steep hills. I have checked u-joints and they look OK they are factory. My cost 1310 drive shaft looks good. Not sure what else this could be? I want to do new front axle shafts but don't want to spend the money till i find out what is causing this in case it something expensive. Here is a quick run down of my setup. 3.5 rk lift 35's dana 30 front axle.

Can you tell if it's coming from the front or back? Do you have your lockers on when this occurs? And, is it a light rythmic clicking or almost a clunking?

silverbackjk

Can you tell if it's coming from the front or back? Do you have your lockers on when this occurs? And, is it a light rythmic clicking or almost a clunking?

I think it is coming from the middle of the front. The front diff is open. The rear has a lsd factory. It is defiantly a rythmic clicking noise. and it only happens when hill is very steep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is coming from the middle of the front. The front diff is open. The rear has a lsd factory. It is defiantly a rythmic clicking noise. and it only happens when hill is very steep.

Are you saying that you have a 1310 front shaft? If so, how old is it and when was the last time you've serviced it?

silverbackjk

Are you saying that you have a 1310 front shaft? If so, how old is it and when was the last time you've serviced it?

It is only about 6 months old and have only greased it from the one zerk in front towards the front axle. What are the service steps?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is only about 6 months old and have only greased it from the one zerk in front towards the front axle. What are the service steps?

To service it, you would replace the u-joints and if needed, rebuild the double cardan. But, it's way too new to have a u-joint going out unless it doesn't have Neapco or Spicer joints and Coast shaft typically come with the later.

Just to make sure, is there any way you can remove the shaft and then try climbing a steep hill to see if you can still make the sound happen? That'll help track it down for you.

silverbackjk

To service it, you would replace the u-joints and if needed, rebuild the double cardan. But, it's way too new to have a u-joint going out unless it doesn't have Neapco or Spicer joints and Coast shaft typically come with the later.

Just to make sure, is there any way you can remove the shaft and then try climbing a steep hill to see if you can still make the sound happen? That'll help track it down for you.

I will have to try that in the next couple weekends. I am about 20 minutes from hollister hills in nor cal. What are the torque specs fro the axle side and the transfer case side i could check to make sure they are tight?

Moochie

What u-joints are factory? Are you talking about your axle shafts?

Last edited:

Moochie

U-joint bearing caps all look good? One of mine came off once and it made a clicking sound.
My warranty covered it. They replaced the complete right side axle shaft.

silverbackjk

Talked to coast drive lines and they said to check the bracket for the 4wd shifter under the transfer case. They said there has been a few cases when this will rub the double cardigan and cause a clicking sound. Anyone heard of this before?:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Talked to coast drive lines and they said to check the bracket for the 4wd shifter under the transfer case. They said there has been a few cases when this will rub the double cardigan and cause a clicking sound. Anyone heard of this before?:thinking:

Yup, has happend to us but, we have a manual transmission. Is that what you have?

silverbackjk

Yup, has happend to us but, we have a manual transmission. Is that what you have?

I have a auto trans. Will check this out tonight. I am really hopping that this is all it is i was planing on heading to EVO this month to have sliders, Locker and axle shafts installed. If it is anything major all this will have to wait.:mad::mad:

silverbackjk

So when I got home tonight I checked to see if the double cardigan was hitting the 4wd shifter bracket on the transfer case and it had a ton space. Any other thoughts of what the clicking could be?

Top Bottom