Safari mirrors? Help please

seadweller

Wave to you all!
I have wanted a jeep since I have been driving, and finally got it.
I'm a month in now, and intend to ride without doors as much as possible.
I got the hinge mounted Safari Mirrors from Quadratec to comply with law, but find that though they work well enough, they vibrate a lot.
I was thinking about getting the Quick Release mirrors that attach to the A-Frame, and though I have seen numerous posts about safari mirrors, I have never seen anything about two concerns I have:
1) If any of you have used A-Frame mounted safari mirrors, have you found them to be more stable?
2) The mirrors I am considering are a set of quick release mirrors from Quadratec which include a rubber pad to prevent scratching the paint where they mount to the A-Frame, but I am concerned that these will accumulate moisture and possibly rust the A-Frame (I live on the Texas Gulf Coast which is very wet and humid, and will be on the beach a lot). Do you all know anything about whether that should be an issue?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I too am looking at some mirrors that bolt to the A pillar. They use the upper two bolts on the end of the windshield. I believe that the cover is plastic so no rust to worry about, though I could be wrong and it might be metal. I have never messed with it so I dont know for sure. hat makes me wonder though so I might check it out at lunch.

As far as them vibrating or moving I cant answer either but I havent heard of anybody saying that they do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Vibration in the mirror is caused by the arm not being ridged enough. An A-pillar style mirror can be more stable but that will still depend on how rigid it is. That being said, does it really matter how the image in your mirror looks? I mean, the only thing you really need to know is if there's someone there. Of course, that's just me.

GraniteCrystal

I just bought the same Quadratec Safari mirrors you currently have. Haven't noticed the vibration but haven't gone over 40 with them yet. Make sure that the bolt is tight and maybe tighten the screws on the back as well. Those control how easy it is to adjust the mirror so get it where you want it and then tighten those up.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I have the Rugged Ridge mirrors that attach to the a pillar frame. The nice thing about them is that they're permanent. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462210575.497812.jpg
Though they are very functional and there is zero issues with vibration, I have found there is two very minor issues.
1. There is a sight issue with the passenger mirror when the door is on. It really doesn't even bother me. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462211005.810035.jpg
2. If you have the doors on and you happen to fold your mirrors in for whatever reason. The door will hit the mirror when you open it. Again, another minor issue that can be easily avoided. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462211224.215935.jpg
I hope this helps.

seadweller

Thanks

Thanks all.
You're right, I am more concerned with seeing something coming up from behind than reading the license plates (Ha!) so for that reason, I am generally ok with them.
I thought about tightening them up a bit, but was afraid of over-tightening them, so I'll give that a try as well.

I do like the idea of the quick replace mirrors, though, because they don't require a wrench to attach every time, and as long as they won't trap water under the mounts, I am willing to give them a try at 50 bucks and let you all know what I find.

seadweller

I have the Rugged Ridge mirrors that attach to the a pillar frame. The nice thing about them is that they're permanent. View attachment 201328
Though they are very functional and there is zero issues with vibration, I have found there is two very minor issues.
1. There is a sight issue with the passenger mirror when the door is on. It really doesn't even bother me. View attachment 201332
2. If you have the doors on and you happen to fold your mirrors in for whatever reason. The door will hit the mirror when you open it. Again, another minor issue that can be easily avoided. View attachment 201333
I hope this helps.

Thanks Mountain ...
To quote Arlo Guthrie, "the third possibility I hadn't counted upon"!
I LIKE those!

aldaman

I run the Ditech mirrors. It utilizes the factory mirrors. Sturdy bracket and vibration free...

image.jpg

image.jpeg

:beer:

sbakewell

I have the Rugged Ridge mirrors that attach to the a pillar frame. The nice thing about them is that they're permanent. View attachment 201328
1. There is a sight issue with the passenger mirror when the door is on. It really doesn't even bother me. View attachment 201332
2. If you have the doors on and you happen to fold your mirrors in for whatever reason. The door will hit the mirror when you open it. Again, another minor issue that can be easily avoided. View attachment 201333
I hope this helps.

Personally these mirrors bug me every time I drive and I should have returned them. I am 5'3 so the problem is worse not being able to see our the passenger mirror. I wonder if it's possible to put something on the bracket to bring the mirror out more. I tried adding bubble mirror but that really does not help

NTRubicon

BTW, Here's mine, with the current Safari mirrors ... View attachment 201334

I had the same problem with my safari mirrors when I first got them. I solved the problem by winding the top nut all the way up to the top where the machining ends and tightening the mirrors only from the lower nut. With the top nut wound down there was a little bit of flex from where the machining of the shaft to add a thread at made it a little thinner and more flexible. Once tightened all the way to the top the vibration went away.

Last edited:

Desert Crawler

Vibration in the mirror is caused by the arm not being ridged enough. An A-pillar style mirror can be more stable but that will still depend on how rigid it is. That being said, does it really matter how the image in your mirror looks? I mean, the only thing you really need to know is if there's someone there. Of course, that's just me.
I bought a pair that drop into the factory hinges when doorless just to be legal when I cross the border into CA. I hear they vibrate like hell and you can't see much out of them, but I wouldn't know. They are still in the original box on the garage shelf. Because like the quote above. It really doesn't matter to me.

BeardedJK

I have a pair of the quadratic quick release mirrors. They are fine for driving around town but fold in if I go over 50mph.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I hope this helps.

I have these as well. They were one of my first mods to my jeep. They are great cause once you take the doors off your good to go. No need to worry about putting another mirror back on.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have these as well. They were one of my first mods to my jeep. They are great cause once you take the doors off your good to go. No need to worry about putting another mirror back on.

Speaking of mirrors you should replace your broken one from two years ago. Lol

Kyle7R

Wave to you all!
I have wanted a jeep since I have been driving, and finally got it.
I'm a month in now, and intend to ride without doors as much as possible.
I got the hinge mounted Safari Mirrors from Quadratec to comply with law, but find that though they work well enough, they vibrate a lot.
I was thinking about getting the Quick Release mirrors that attach to the A-Frame, and though I have seen numerous posts about safari mirrors, I have never seen anything about two concerns I have:
1) If any of you have used A-Frame mounted safari mirrors, have you found them to be more stable?
2) The mirrors I am considering are a set of quick release mirrors from Quadratec which include a rubber pad to prevent scratching the paint where they mount to the A-Frame, but I am concerned that these will accumulate moisture and possibly rust the A-Frame (I live on the Texas Gulf Coast which is very wet and humid, and will be on the beach a lot). Do you all know anything about whether that should be an issue?
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

If you're worried about running them just to stay legal, you don't have to.

If I remember right, in Texas you are only required to have one rear facing mirror (which would be the windshield mounted rearview)

Many Jeepers (myself included) run around town doorless, without doors and side mirrors.

Stick

If you're worried about running them just to stay legal, you don't have to.

If I remember right, in Texas you are only required to have one rear facing mirror (which would be the windshield mounted rearview)

Many Jeepers (myself included) run around town doorless, without doors and side mirrors.

I was just told the same thing a week ago when I was asking about getting a set of mirrors.

Top Bottom