Daily carry Floor jack

iron53man

I recently got myself a 2015 JKU used and it didn't have the stock scissor lift jack in the back. I'm looking to upgrade anyway to something I could fit under the rear seat or in the jack compartment cubby. The jeep has 33" tires with a 3" coil spring lift. For road side emergencies would y'all recommend a floor jack or bottle jack? Also what size?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Most guys carry a bottle jack, including myself. Also some pieces of wood are a good idea if you need to stack it and have more height.

iron53man

Most guys carry a bottle jack, including myself. Also some pieces of wood are a good idea if you need to stack it and have more height.

What size bottle jack would be tall enough? Also, what's the advantages of the bottle jack vs the floor jack?

jeeeep

Hooked
I recently got myself a 2015 JKU used and it didn't have the stock scissor lift jack in the back. I'm looking to upgrade anyway to something I could fit under the rear seat or in the jack compartment cubby. The jeep has 33" tires with a 3" coil spring lift. For road side emergencies would y'all recommend a floor jack or bottle jack? Also what size?
I bought a portable suv floor jack that came with a case, has nice reach but takes up too much space I have a bottle jack but I found it to be unstable unless on flat pavement and by itself lacks in reach. Take a look at Safe Jacks they have bottle jacks with extension or you can buy the extensions only.
I've used it a few times already and it's actually come in really handy and it's pretty stable. It is pricey but the extensions or solid and when I consider the amount of money I've spent floor jacks, high lift and scissor jacks it's worth it.

iron53man

I bought a portable suv floor jack that came with a case, has nice reach but takes up too much space I have a bottle jack but I found it to be unstable unless on flat pavement and by itself lacks in reach. Take a look at Safe Jacks they have bottle jacks with extension or you can buy the extensions only.
I've used it a few times already and it's actually come in really handy and it's pretty stable. It is pricey but the extensions or solid and when I consider the amount of money I've spent floor jacks, high lift and scissor jacks it's worth it.

Did you get the 6 ton or 12 ton bottle jack? Those are expensive!

jeeeep

Hooked
Did you get the 6 ton or 12 ton bottle jack? Those are expensive!

I got the 6 ton bottle jack but if you already have a bottle jack you can just get the extensions. The extensions are solid. As mentioned, I've spent more on things that do work but did not accomplish my ultimate goal of having something compact and usable under more circumstances.
At Easter Jeep Safari a group from a local Salt Lake City Jeep dealership dislodged the engine from its motor mount. I showed up with this Jack at the same time one of their co-workers ran off to pickup some lumber and a floor jack. The reach of the extensions they were able to get the motor back on its mount and the repair done before their co-worker returned. we were all impressed how well it worked.
6ton jack seems to be enough I have a 12 ton jack at home, i ordered the 12ton adapter just in case i decide to use it.
It took me about 3 months to actually convince myself to buy it but then I thought about it from a safety factor view and it became a no-brainer for me

Last edited:

iron53man

I got the 6 ton bottle jack but if you already have a bottle jack you can just get the extensions. The extensions are solid. As mentioned, I've spent more on things that do work but did not accomplish my ultimate goal of having something compact and usable under more circumstances.
At Easter Jeep Safari a group from a local Salt Lake City Jeep dealership dislodged the engine from its motor mount. I showed up with this Jack at the same time one of their co-workers ran off to pickup some lumber and a floor jack. The reach of the extensions they were able to get the motor back on its mount and the repair done before their co-worker returned. we we're all impressed how well it worked.
6ton jack seems to be enough I have a 12 ton jack at home, i ordered the 12ton adapter just in case i decide to use it.

Thanks for all the help! I'm going with the 6 ton Recovery Kit and the stabalizer for the bottom... might as well do it right the first time!

toxicwaste29

I got a 12 or 20 tons bottle jack from harbor freight. I forget which one but I believe one lifts higher than the other. It was only like $30

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have a 3 ton floor jack for home use. I can pick it up and load it in the jeep. I would not want to do that for trail use. It weighs close to 100 pounds. You can buy aluminum floor jacks that weigh probably 50 pounds or so. But the only place they would work really well is on flat surfaces.

A bottle jack is really your best best. I too have started looking into the Safe Jack brand previously mentioned.

iron53man

Yeah, the safe jack company looks really nice. the recovery kit and then a stabalizing bottom would be what I will probably get... right now though I don't have the finances as I'm about to have to get a new tire.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I keep a HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack in my garage next to 2.5ton steel craftsman. It's really light- like one handed carry around light. The handle pops right off and goes into two pieces. The main limit is height- it doesn't go very high so you need blocks. Also it'll hit the 1.5t limit if you try and raise half a vehicle up- but it'll do a corner no problem to change a tire. It also comes in handy lifting small things like getting a gas shock compressed, or lifting an axle while installing a lift, etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

Top Bottom