NOB alert: what is the best place to place your floor Jack

nkijkuit

Lift it on the pumpkin, the axle tube or the lca's? Need to rotate my tires and only have a floor jack and no jack stands :thinking:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Lift it on the pumpkin, the axle tube or the lca's? Need to rotate my tires and only have a floor jack and no jack stands :thinking:

If I do not have jack stands I use my spare as a place holder, take 1 tire off put spare in its place with 2 or 3 lugs then lift the next corner and remove 2nd tire place 1st tire that was removed and then move that tire to the one where the spare is. If that makes any sense? I lift from under the shock mount.... :thinking::idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In the rear, the pumpkin is a good place to lift from. Up front, I typically use the base of the lower control arm joint to lift from. I would highly recommend that you get jack stands though and rest your axle housing on them while rotating tires. Just in case.

nkijkuit

If I do not have jack stands I use my spare as a place holder, take 1 tire off put spare in its place with 2 or 3 lugs then lift the next corner and remove 2nd tire place 1st tire that was removed and then move that tire to the one where the spare is. If that makes any sense? I lift from under the shock mount.... :thinking::idontknow:

I will rotate the spare in, so this doesn't work. See if I can get jack stands which are high enough for a lifted jeep over here in Holland...

Prime8

My jack stands are slightly too short, so I have a couple of square chunks of 2x4 that I stick on top of the stand. I also use wood blocks on my jack when lifting from the pumpkin or the front housing to keep the metal of the jack from scratching away the paint on my axle housings. I'm anal about keeping the undercarriage painted to avoid rust.

Top Bottom