Warn Winch

whytiptoe

So I'm asking if I should or should not get a winch. I know it's kinda a stupid question, but one I want to ask.

So my rig, 16 JKUR HR, will keep stock bumper, because I like it. Get rubitux stinger, winch plate, hook fairlead and D-ring mounts and last but not least warn zeon 12-S platinum.

It is a little bit of coin, but I should never need another winch. I am a weekend warrior who want to tackle more and more difficult obstacles. Just need to convince my wife to spend the money. I've told her she will regret me not getting it when we are stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Speeddmn

Go get stuck first, late at night. Then pay for the tow bill, show her and say this, " See honey, if I had that winch, I could have saved us this bill."

Side note, the 12s is a lot of winch for the JK, a 10s would be more then enough. The power plant 9500 would also be a viable option, and I'm not sure if it fits in the HR bumper, maybe a little trimming of some metal. Also gives you the ability to air up the tires after wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you never wheel alone, you're more likely than not to NOT need a winch. If you lead groups on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to get one. If you wheel alone and often on hard trails, it's good to have a winch.

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm asking if I should or should not get a winch. I know it's kinda a stupid question, but one I want to ask.

So my rig, 16 JKUR HR, will keep stock bumper, because I like it. Get rubitux stinger, winch plate, hook fairlead and D-ring mounts and last but not least warn zeon 12-S platinum.

It is a little bit of coin, but I should never need another winch. I am a weekend warrior who want to tackle more and more difficult obstacles. Just need to convince my wife to spend the money. I've told her she will regret me not getting it when we are stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely get a winch. Shortly after we purchased our Zeon (which the wife wasn't thrilled about), we were out wheeling alone (wife and two kids) in an area with hardly any other people and no cell service. I made a poor line decision and ended up with front tires blocked by two separate rocks along with my rear diff stuck on rock. We weren't going anywhere. It only took about one minute to hook the winch and tree saver on to a tree and pull us out. Since that day my wife and I are not only happy with having a winch but very happy it was a dependable product that didn't let us down. Can't put a price on that.

whytiptoe

Go get stuck first, late at night. Then pay for the tow bill, show her and say this, " See honey, if I had that winch, I could have saved us this bill."

Side note, the 12s is a lot of winch for the JK, a 10s would be more then enough. The power plant 9500 would also be a viable option, and I'm not sure if it fits in the HR bumper, maybe a little trimming of some metal. Also gives you the ability to air up the tires after wheeling.

LOL this would totally get her.

Yes the 12s is a lot of winch, but the way I look at it is, once I have my jeep the way I want it. EVO DD on some 40s and overland style with a trailer, the 12 would more then be the right decision.

whytiptoe

If you never wheel alone, you're more likely than not to NOT need a winch. If you lead groups on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to get one. If you wheel alone and often on hard trails, it's good to have a winch.

I don't ever really want to wheel alone, but for some reason it is hard to get people to go around us on Sunday when we can go. I do want to eventually get to lead the group because I do wheel so much and people look up to me for advice.

Absolutely get a winch. Shortly after we purchased our Zeon (which the wife wasn't thrilled about), we were out wheeling alone (wife and two kids) in an area with hardly any other people and no cell service. I made a poor line decision and ended up with front tires blocked by two separate rocks along with my rear diff stuck on rock. We weren't going anywhere. It only took about one minute to hook the winch and tree saver on to a tree and pull us out. Since that day my wife and I are not only happy with having a winch but very happy it was a dependable product that didn't let us down. Can't put a price on that.

That is what I am thinking and explaining to her.

whytiptoe

So I guess my next question would be if I where not to get a winch what would you do instead with the money?

WJCO

Meme King
So I guess my next question would be if I where not to get a winch what would you do instead with the money?

Everyone's going to have pros and cons to winches they themselves own. The deciding factor for me was that when I was looking for a winch, I couldn't find any negative feedback on Warn other than the price. That was the deciding factor for me. Do it once and do it right. A winch is something that you want 100% confidence in when you go to use it.

EDIT: Here's a very convincing pic that Eddie posted the other day:

IMG_20160425_162750_879.jpg

Last edited:

whytiptoe

Everyone's going to have pros and cons to winches they themselves own. The deciding factor for me was that when I was looking for a winch, I couldn't find any negative feedback on Warn other than the price. That was the deciding factor for me. Do it once and do it right. A winch is something that you want 100% confidence in when you go to use it.

EDIT: Here's a very convincing pic that Eddie posted the other day:

View attachment 201660

When I get a winch I will for sure go with a warn, this is without hesitation. They are the best and have the best warranty for a reason.

GraniteCrystal

12S Platinum is a Mona Lisa of winches. I'd get a 10S which is still Warn, has more than enough power, and put the extra money (quite a bit) into other mods. Buying a 12S Platinum is like saying all you ever need is a winch. Truth is you need other recovery gear or mods as well. Diversify in the capabilities of your Jeep; don't put all your eggs in the "Winch will save me basket". My two cents ;)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Honestly, IMO, Unless you have never been offroad before, If your asking if you need a winch, you WONT need a winch unless you do something stupid. :doh: For most of us, this isn't even a question.

Brute

Hooked

Get a winch...it's like why I always bring the rain jacket on the boat...when I don't, it rains...when I do, it never rains...besides, how are you going to get that 150 lb tuna out of the boat and onto the bed of your truck by yourself?

whytiptoe

Honestly, IMO, Unless you have never been offroad before, If your asking if you need a winch, you WONT need a winch unless you do something stupid. :doh: For most of us, this isn't even a question.

Well that is why I said this is a stupid question. The main reason I am asking it to show my wife that a winch is a great thing to have and if we are to go off road it is almost a necessity.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Well that is why I said this is a stupid question. The main reason I am asking it to show my wife that a winch is a great thing to have and if we are to go off road it is almost a necessity.

The winch is also helpful if someone in a 2wd is stuck, or slid off the road, at the beach, in the snow, etc... you can help them out if your that kind of person. :thumb: Just I would be EXTREMELY careful with their vehicle. I would HATE to get sued for stopping to help some ungrateful fuckhead these days... :doh:

whytiptoe

The winch is also helpful if someone in a 2wd is stuck, or slid off the road, at the beach, in the snow, etc... you can help them out if your that kind of person. :thumb: Just I would be EXTREMELY careful with their vehicle. I would HATE to get sued for stopping to help some ungrateful fuckhead these days... :doh:

True that!!

Brute

Hooked
All kidding aside, I've used the winch twice to remove an obstacle on the trail (on once on a paved road...small tree), a fallen tree, and a friggin' large rock that slid onto the trail...this rock was on a steep narrow shelf road, and driving in reverse back down the trail was not an option. Used a Pull Pal and a snatch block on the other side of the rock; chained up the rock and slowly moved it off the trail down a cliff...it took about an hour, since had to constantly reposition the chain...the winch saved the day...

Jackal01

So it seems like you want a 12,000 pound winch. Is the wireless remote THAT important? If not, save SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars, get the 12 S then you have that extra money for straps, shackles, tire repair kit, OBA (whatever air system you have in mind), etc if not all of that depending on the vendor/store.

whytiptoe

12S Platinum is a Mona Lisa of winches. I'd get a 10S which is still Warn, has more than enough power, and put the extra money (quite a bit) into other mods. Buying a 12S Platinum is like saying all you ever need is a winch. Truth is you need other recovery gear or mods as well. Diversify in the capabilities of your Jeep; don't put all your eggs in the "Winch will save me basket". My two cents ;)

This is great comment, with true and informative information. Just not sure once my jeep is done how much my jeep will weigh. I hear people say they are over 5K and I thought you were to have 3 times your weight on a winch, or something close to that.

WJCO

Meme King
So it seems like you want a 12,000 pound winch. Is the wireless remote THAT important? If not, save SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars, get the 12 S then you have that extra money for straps, shackles, tire repair kit, OBA (whatever air system you have in mind), etc if not all of that depending on the vendor/store.

The wireless remote actually deterred me away from the platinum series. I just don't trust wireless technology in general, especially to save my ass on the trail.

Top Bottom