1991 Cherokee Lardeo Automatic Transmission Problems.....

mrfacundo01

I just bought a 1991 Cherokee Lardeo 4.0 4x4 automatic. Truck is all there, needs some cleaning up, but the body is straight and the engine sounds really strong. The previous owner told me that he parked it, then drove it for about a block before the transmission started to slowly loose the ability to send power to the rear wheels. I had the truck towed home and garaged. I stared the truck and engaged it in gear, and low and behold, the trans engaged. I too drove it about a block and experienced the same issue as the previous owner. I parked it in our steep driveway and waited for my buddy to come over and give me a hand putting it back in the garage. Just about 2 hours after parking it in the garage, I started it just to see if it would go under its own power to get back in the garage, and it again engaged and did so. This time I just left it in there.

I did the check fluid level and it is fine. The fluid is pink and does not smell burnt. Not sure if the previous owner just dumped the fluid and added new fluid, but if the trans was toast, I think the fluid would at least have trace smells or some type of discoloration.
I have not dropped the pan to check it out but plan on doing so this weekend.

Just looking to see if anyone had the same problems and could save me some time by pointing me in the right direction, or any recommendations on how to troubleshoot this problem to determine the route cause and correct fix.

And it would be nice to have possible replacement parts in hand before starting the job so I can continue and finish the job without having to get cleaned up and run out on a parts run.

Many thanks in advance.....

GatorSchop

Does the exhaust have a "rich" smell after the XJ struggles to move?

I had the same problem in my 99 XJ.
It ended up being a faulty CAM Positioning sensor.
Hopefully that is all that it is for you since it is only $60 or so and took all of 30 minutes to de-install/install.

Hopefully that works for you.

mrfacundo01

Thanks Gator. I'll check that out. Who would have expected a cam sensor to affect a transmission? Wierd crap Jeep does....

Top Bottom