JCR skidplate to driveline clearance issue

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Flexed out the jeep today for the first time. Found this issue basically off the bat. When the front passenger tire starts coming up my front driveline makes contact with the skidplate right at the pinion flange. Looks like it was also contacting prior to the suspension install as well. I wasn't pleased with the way the skidplate fit to begin with and now even less pleased. I know my axle is centered and you really can't install the skidplate wrong so I dunno what's up. Any ideas or has anyone had this issue as well? I'm going to call JCR on Monday to see if it's something they're aware of and see if they can offer a remedy.

Here it is making contact

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462742283.323840.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462742325.845472.jpg

This is the clearance sitting of flat ground
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462742384.561396.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pictures.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Can you take a zoomed out pic too? I have a JCR Crusader mid-width and may be able to show you what mine looks like. Which bunper/skid are you running? Right now just trying to figure out your pictures...

Let us know what JCR says too.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Can you take a zoomed out pic too? I have a JCR Crusader mid-width and may be able to show you what mine looks like. Which bunper/skid are you running? Right now just trying to figure out your pictures...

Let us know what JCR says too.

This isn't related to the bumper. I'm still running the factory hard rock bumper. This is a transmission/oil pan skid for a manual tranny. Mounts from the transfer case crossmember to brackets that drop down from the motor mounts. Hard to get good pictures without a lift but here's a couple other shitty ones.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462749569.632497.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462749585.598246.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462749602.813585.jpg

TFD

I've got about 2 inches of clearance on mine.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462754094.262947.jpg

That being said, I had a hell of a time getting the drivers side bracket to line up. I called jcr and they gave me the run around. They wanted pictures and didn't seem interested. I ended up having to take it to my friends shop and do some cutting and welding to get it to fit.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I've got about 2 inches of clearance on mine.
View attachment 202480

That being said, I had a hell of a time getting the drivers side bracket to line up. I called jcr and they gave me the run around. They wanted pictures and didn't seem interested. I ended up having to take it to my friends shop and do some cutting and welding to get it to fit.

Thanks for the reply. Mine fit like shit but everything did line up. Don't have two inches clearance though. Drain plug didn't line up with the cutout so I ended up cutting the hole out larger and putting an access plate on. Shouldn't have to cut and weld on these things to make them fit right. I did some google searching and found some info. Read a couple people had the same sort of issue and got some kind of redesigned bracket from JCR. So we'll see what they say tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

TFD

That's crazy that the drain hole didn't line up either. It looks like we made the wrong choice on engine skids [emoji19]

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So, JCR is on my short list for bumpers for my current project. I really do like the looks of their Mauler Deluxe front bumper and Mauler stubby rear bumper, but the more I hear stuff like this the most I become hesitant to even consider them.

GraniteCrystal

So, JCR is on my short list for bumpers for my current project. I really do like the looks of their Mauler Deluxe front bumper and Mauler stubby rear bumper, but the more I hear stuff like this the most I become hesitant to even consider them.

I have the Crusader bumper and skid plate and both went on without issue. You can see pics and write up in build thread if interested. There was a small issue with existing fogs, just a little tight, but no cutting welding needed.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I don't have any experience with other JCR products so I couldn't say either way. But I definitely would not recommend their skid plates.

OJK12

I've had the opportunity to see a few of their products up close (TJ steering box skid, TJ front bumper, and the TJ inner fenders) they all fit like shit and needed modifications to go on. The hoop on the front bumper wasn't even the same on both sides one side had more of a bend than the other. Bunch of junk as far as I'm concerned, I'd have been pissed if I spent my money on that stuff to have it look like that and fit like that.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I've had the opportunity to see a few of their products up close (TJ steering box skid, TJ front bumper, and the TJ inner fenders) they all fit like shit and needed modifications to go on. The hoop on the front bumper wasn't even the same on both sides one side had more of a bend than the other. Bunch of junk as far as I'm concerned, I'd have been pissed if I spent my money on that stuff to have it look like that and fit like that.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any experience with other JCR products so I couldn't say either way. But I definitely would not recommend their skid plates.

As some of you may know, I think the guys at JCR are full of themselves and wouldn't buy any of their products just for that alone. That being said, I too have seen their products up close and in person and I too haven't been impressed with the quality of any of it.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
As some of you may know, I think the guys at JCR are full of themselves and wouldn't buy any of their products just for that alone. That being said, I too have seen their products up close and in person and I too haven't been impressed with the quality of any of it.

Yea I feel like I'm going to end up just having to ditch this skid or modify it. Called this morning and left a message with tech support. Traveling today so I'll call again when I get to the airport.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea I feel like I'm going to end up just having to ditch this skid or modify it. Called this morning and left a message with tech support. Traveling today so I'll call again when I get to the airport.

Being that you already have it and have it installed, I would just modify it and make it work. Sucks that you'd have to do that after spending so much money on it but, we've all been there. Well, most of us have anyway.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Being that you already have it and have it installed, I would just modify it and make it work. Sucks that you'd have to do that after spending so much money on it but, we've all been there. Well, most of us have anyway.

Yea, my thoughts exactly. I mean a little fitting is no big deal but this is ridiculous. Here's a shot of how the drain plug lined up with the hole in the skid plate. Snapped this in the process of modifying the skid so I could actually change the oil without making a mess.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462811897.338305.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, my thoughts exactly. I mean a little fitting is no big deal but this is ridiculous. Here's a shot of how the drain plug lined up with the hole in the skid plate. Snapped this in the process of modifying the skid so I could actually change the oil without making a mess.
View attachment 202570

LOL!! Wow, that's some funny shit right there. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
Sucks you have to deal with that. But I think you're making the right move by just modifying what you've got.

Jmjnewbold

:thinking: I dont see how that drain plug hole could be correct. :naw: I have been thinking about getting one of their bumpers for my project as well, but second guessing them more and more. :naw:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Use a plumb bob to figure out the perfect angle hill to park on when changing your oil, then the oil will shoot right out of the hole. :crazy eyes:

Seriously, that sucks and I agree you shouldn't have to make major modifications to get something to fit right.

Top Bottom