Used JKUR Buying Guide

whytiptoe

So I know there has to be a thread on what years to purchase for a used JKUR, but I can't find it. My brother just totaled his car and now he is looking to purchase a JKUR. :clap2: thanks in advance for your help.

2007-2011 - 3.8L V6 (202 hp)
2012-2016 - 3.6L V6 (285 hp)

2007-2010 - older interior
Interior updated to new style in 2011

2007-2011 - 4 speed automatic or 6 speed manual transmissions

2012-2016 - 5 speed automatic or 6 speed manual transmissions

In my personal opinion, the best value for a JK would be a 2011. Because it still retains the 3.8l V6, prices are much lower than the 3.6L JK's. But with the 2011 you get the newer style interior with nicer materials, and updated features.

whytiptoe

In my personal opinion, the best value for a JK would be a 2011. Because it still retains the 3.8l V6, prices are much lower than the 3.6L JK's. But with the 2011 you get the newer style interior with nicer materials, and updated features.

The 2012s had the most issues with the new engine correct?

GraniteCrystal

For what it's worth, here is Consumer Reports take on things up through 2014. This was part of the reason I wanted a 2014.

cr_jeep.png

Overall the Wrangler gets trashed in CR, but as long as I'm going with a low-scoring vehicle by their standards, I'll take the highest of the low scores ;)

RedRum

Yea just my two cents I had a 2012 and have multiple trips to the dealer for engine issues ...

SoCalDozer

Depends on the build date for 2012's for the engine issue usually. I had an Oct 2011 build 2 door that needed the head replaced at 10k miles for the valve train issue. I have a June 2012 build date 4 door now that doesnt have the tick noise at all at 36k miles.
Other than that one issue on my 2 door I did not have any issues in 40k miles.
But like they said before the 3.6 is going to be more expensive. Chances are you will wont find a JKUR 12 or newer for nuder 30k if that matters at all.
I personally wouldnt want the 3.8 for daily driving but some people dont mind the lack of power.

The 2012s had the most issues with the new engine correct?

Yessir, I have a 2012 and I had the head replaced at 30,000 miles, mine threw Cylinder 6 Missfire code but I didn't have a tick.

I think Chrysler has warrantied the 3.6 motors to something like 180,000 miles though.

Depends on the build date for 2012's for the engine issue usually. I had an Oct 2011 build 2 door that needed the head replaced at 10k miles for the valve train issue. I have a June 2012 build date 4 door now that doesnt have the tick noise at all at 36k miles.
Other than that one issue on my 2 door I did not have any issues in 40k miles.
But like they said before the 3.6 is going to be more expensive. Chances are you will wont find a JKUR 12 or newer for nuder 30k if that matters at all.
I personally wouldnt want the 3.8 for daily driving but some people dont mind the lack of power.

Thats odd I have a 2012 too and mine just threw cylinder 6 missfire code but no ticking.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Best tip for buying a used jeep- crawl under it to see if it's been wheeled hard. I would only buy a mall crawler if I was buying used. You never know how well maintained it was and what parts have been replaced if the previous owner beat the shit out of it.

swampdog

Best tip for buying a used jeep- crawl under it to see if it's been wheeled hard. I would only buy a mall crawler if I was buying used. You never know how well maintained it was and what parts have been replaced if the previous owner beat the shit out of it.

Yes and No. I know that I maintain my vehicle more meticulously than most owners I would be buying a vehicle from, and the undercarriage / skids look rough.
Back when I road raced street bikes, you would hear people say "never buy a bike that was raced previously," but most people that race their motorcycle spent so much more time on maintenance and tears downs / rebuilds that their bike was in better shape than any streetbike. You put your life on the line with it every weekend so you knew for a fact that everything was torqued properly and was operating at top shape.

I get the sentiment of avoiding a rig that has been off-roaded, but I don't necessarily believe that it is a carte-Blanche statement to avoid them.

Yeah I would use a flashlight and look into the frame, make sure there is no frame rust. Look for leaks. Wiggle driveshafts and make sure pinion bearings are still good.

Speeddmn

Yes and No. I know that I maintain my vehicle more meticulously than most owners I would be buying a vehicle from, and the undercarriage / skids look rough.
Back when I road raced street bikes, you would hear people say "never buy a bike that was raced previously," but most people that race their motorcycle spent so much more time on maintenance and tears downs / rebuilds that their bike was in better shape than any streetbike. You put your life on the line with it every weekend so you knew for a fact that everything was torqued properly and was operating at top shape.

I get the sentiment of avoiding a rig that has been off-roaded, but I don't necessarily believe that it is a carte-Blanche statement to avoid them.

I am the same way. But when going to a used car lot and looking, you don't know who had it last. I would buy a used jeep from a friend before I would buy a used wheeled jeep from a dealer. At least with that friend you should know the history of it and how he/she maintained it.

To the OP, first and foremost what is your friend looking for from the jeep? Daily driver, tear it down, build it up... etc etc

swampdog

I am the same way. But when going to a used car lot and looking, you don't know who had it last. I would buy a used jeep from a friend before I would buy a used wheeled jeep from a dealer. At least with that friend you should know the history of it and how he/she maintained it.

Great point.

SoCalDozer

Thats odd I have a 2012 too and mine just threw cylinder 6 missfire code but no ticking.

oh wow thats kinda crazy, I knew mine was going to throw the code well before it actually did. It was ticking for a good 2-3k miles and the dealer wouldn't do anything until the light came on for the misfire. Whats the build date on yours?

whytiptoe

To the OP, first and foremost what is your friend looking for from the jeep? Daily driver, tear it down, build it up... etc etc

Well this is my brother and he is looking for a DD. He wants something close to what I have, just doesn't want to spend the money I have.

Top Bottom