Wave from South Africa

Malkoppi

Hi There,

I am new to this forum, though I have been following Project JK/Wayalife for a while now. I am from South Africa and I have a 2010 JK 3.8 Rubi with a 2.5" lift on 35s and a 2008 JKU sahara (2.8 diesel) with a 5.7l Hemi transplant running on 4.5" BDS. The transplant is quite a challenge since the diesels system does not communicate with the Hemis. I am busy with a longarm kit on the suspension and the I have to finish the wiring. Still running the standard diffs until I get the right ones to replace them with, probably will break them within a day :p
The other challenge is the Rand/Dollar exchange rate for importing parts, which makes everything 10 times more expensive

Anyway, hope you all have an awesome day!
Desmond Meyburgh

Mun50n3d

Hello Desmond!
It sounds like you have great rigs there. Any pics of your beasts? I personally have a 2013 JKU Moab Edition that I haven't modified for the last three years outside of lighting, wheels/tires, and cosmetics. Hope to change that soon.

Welcome to WAL from Texas.

Malkoppi

Thanks man! The 2dr Rubi havent been modified for the last two yeas and I use it mostly on the dunes, we have a great spot about 120km away, but it has done its fair amount of rock trails.

The Sahara is a project that I took over from somebody else, that makes it even more difficult to se what in the world they were trying to do! But it is great fun! The pictures of it (silver JKU) is how I got it. It did not have any wheels so I just slammed some steelies on with old tyres until I get what I want (40s plus new diffs!) I immediately took the ARB off and the fenders, it will get a stubby and cut fenders. The wiring was a mess when I got it, and the project stood still for more than a year.

Attachments

• 1462971101392.jpg
    1462971101392.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 49
  • 1462971135695.jpg
    1462971135695.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 1462971196023.jpg
    1462971196023.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1462971233580.jpg
    1462971233580.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1462971299466.jpg
    1462971299466.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 1462971325951.jpg
    1462971325951.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1462971359343.jpg
    1462971359343.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 1462971446922.jpg
    1462971446922.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1462971569212.jpg
    1462971569212.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1462971605682.jpg
    1462971605682.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1462971656323.jpg
    1462971656323.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 1462971690328.jpg
    1462971690328.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 47

Malkoppi

My forum name would not make sense to you, but didnt want to change it and the passwords from the other forums I am on, else I would just forget them :p

Malkop, Mal = Crazy and kop = head ☺ Thus I'm the crazy one 😜

JeepJeep75

Hi Malkoppi, welcome to WAL! Nice couple of jeeps you have their. It's pretty cool that you are trying to transform your diesel jeep into a gas powered beast. Here in the states a diesel jeep is still just a novelty, as they are not available in factory form as a diesel. Keep us posted on your progress with your jeeps. Looks like you enjoy using them.

atrollip

Hi Malkoppi. I fellow South African wayalife member sending a wave. Two great jeeps. Are u situated in the Cape?

Malkoppi

Hi Malkoppi, welcome to WAL! Nice couple of jeeps you have their. It's pretty cool that you are trying to transform your diesel jeep into a gas powered beast. Here in the states a diesel jeep is still just a novelty, as they are not available in factory form as a diesel. Keep us posted on your progress with your jeeps. Looks like you enjoy using them.

Thanks for all the welcome messages!

JeepJeep, yes the stock jeep 2.8 diesel are lovely when they run, but the earlier VM motori diesels did not last very long, service intervals were too far away at 20000km which is was not the only problem. This particular one sent two conrods through the block, and the engine is quite expensive to repair here.
If I started the conversion I would have used the 4BT cummins that you guys like, they are a bit scarce here but you find them. But when I took the project over 90% of the mechanical work had been completed. And the 5.7 fits well for a dune ripper!

Malkoppi

Hi Malkoppi. I fellow South African wayalife member sending a wave. Two great jeeps. Are u situated in the Cape?

Thanks man! I've been in Postmasburg in the Northern Cape for the last 4 years, but would propably move back to our farm near Frankfort, Free State before end of the year.

Where are you from? The big dune fotos that I posted was at Port Nolloth and the other ones at Waterford close to Groblershoop which is the best Kalahari dunes you would get in SA

atrollip

We situated in the middle of no where. Thabazimbi. Lol... I headed to Namibia to just outside Walvis Bay near sandwich harbour last year to Dune. It was my most amazing outing so far in the Jeep. I also hear you on the import costs I just imported an Evo Levelling kit and Spider Trax wheel spacers cost me more to ship and import customs than the items cost but it was worth it after I fitted the new 35" tyres on.

Malkoppi

We situated in the middle of no where. Thabazimbi. Lol... I headed to Namibia to just outside Walvis Bay near sandwich harbour last year to Dune. It was my most amazing outing so far in the Jeep. I also hear you on the import costs I just imported an Evo Levelling kit and Spider Trax wheel spacers cost me more to ship and import customs than the items cost but it was worth it after I fitted the new 35" tyres on.

Thats awesome, my sister and her husband used to work on the Kumba Iron Ore mine there and my great grandfather had a farm there, it is still in the family, farms name is Hartbeesdoorns on the Rooibokkraal road.

The 5.7 hemi Jeep had JKS adjustable control arms on which the previous owner kept with the deal, due to import costs a new set would cost around R60k to R80k, so I am thankful for my engineering experience, thus I am busy building a long arm kit with johnny joints and all, which would be a great platform for coilovers in the future.

The first day I went to play in proper dunes we went straight up every dune the "safe" way. Next day we went with locals and from there on I am rotten spoiled, we started drifting the dunes which is immense fun! But the 35s on the 3.8 rubi is sapping all the little power that I have :)

atrollip

That's awesome that you know the area I work at Swartklip Union Mine (Anglo Plat) and my partner at Tumela hence why we located out der. I actually love the area. The right combination of availability of necessities and tons of kms to explore offroad 5kms away.

Those are pretty pricey isn't there an alternative make available in the country. But big ups on giving it a bash at making them. SA is in sore need of after market quality jk parts who knows if you get it right u might have a demand for ur skills.

Yip I did Namibia with locals and learning to drift the dunws nearly had me roll the Jeep but in the end it was worth it, an awesome experience hoping to get out there again soon. I have a diesel so the 35s didn't take to much out of her but I know that the petrols had an edge on me in the dunes better top revs for drifting. Lol. The hemisphere is going to be perfect for the dunes.

Top Bottom