Land closure

martinfan

Received this information from my Motorcycle Club as well as the AMA. H.R. 2733 Nevada Native Nation land act . Apparently the BLM is looking to transfer land to Bureau of Indian affairs. Closure would affect Hungry Valley off road recreation area. Sorry if this is a repost , unable to search very well as I am on my phone.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
For those locals not familiar with the formal name, I believe this area is known as Moon Rocks.

Edit: I just finished speaking with Congressman Amodei's office to gather more information about this bill (at least with respect to how it impacts Nevada land).

First, the bill will NOT affect the Moon Rocks area or the common staging areas. The bill relates to land approximately 7 miles to the south of Moon Rocks. Basically, the bill will create a buffer zone between the developed portions of tribal land and the BLM land. Unfortunately (and I have seen this first hand), too many irresponsible ATV riders, motorcycle riders, OHV drivers, and shooters have ripped up land, left trash, and otherwise pretty much destroyed the area so close to the reservation that a buffer zone has become necessary.

I am being provided a map (which I will post up upon receipt) that will show the areas impacted by the bill.

I cannot say this enough times:

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE HAVING THE BENEFIT OF ACCESS TO PUBLIC LAND, STOP DESTROYING IT. STAY ON MARKED TRAILS, DON'T LEAVE TRASH, DON'T LEAVE SHELL CASINGS, AND BE MINDFUL OF WHERE YOU SHOOT!

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
For those locals not familiar with the formal name, I believe this area is known as Moon Rocks.

Edit: I just finished speaking with Congressman Amodei's office to gather more information about this bill (at least with respect to how it impacts Nevada land).

First, the bill will NOT affect the Moon Rocks area or the common staging areas. The bill relates to land approximately 7 miles to the south of Moon Rocks. Basically, the bill will create a buffer zone between the developed portions of tribal land and the BLM land. Unfortunately (and I have seen this first hand), too many irresponsible ATV riders, motorcycle riders, OHV drivers, and shooters have ripped up land, left trash, and otherwise pretty much destroyed the area so close to the reservation that a buffer zone has become necessary.

I am being provided a map (which I will post up upon receipt) that will show the areas impacted by the bill.

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE HAVING THE BENEFIT OF ACCESS TO PUBLIC LAND, STOP DESTROYING IT. STAY ON MARKED TRAILS, DON'T LEAVE TRASH, DON'T LEAVE SHELL CASINGS, AND BE MINDFUL OF WHERE YOU SHOOT!

Amen brother. I've been up there and cruised around a bit more than once, some people treat that area like a dump and have zero regard for the land. Thanks for reaching out to the powers that be and everyone needs to keep/or start doing their part when they are out there!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
So pretty much this is the Winnemucca Ranch Road then, right?

If that is correct, I agree, that place gets a lot of shot up junk. I hate that it is always the irresponsible ones that ruin it for the rest.

WJCO

Meme King
.... Basically, the bill will create a buffer zone between the developed portions of tribal land and the BLM land. Unfortunately (and I have seen this first hand), too many irresponsible ATV riders, motorcycle riders, OHV drivers, and shooters have ripped up land, left trash, and otherwise pretty much destroyed the area so close to the reservation that a buffer zone has become necessary......

No shit. Being environmentally-minded is about basic respect. It's about treating the land like you would your own property. It's not about special light bulbs, global warming, hybrids, or carbon. It's about basic morals and ethics. Pick up your trash and treat the wilderness with basic respect. I hate going to a remote area out in the mountains and seeing shit left everywhere.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So pretty much this is the Winnemucca Ranch Road then, right?

If that is correct, I agree, that place gets a lot of shot up junk. I hate that it is always the irresponsible ones that ruin it for the rest.

The normal Moon Rock staging area off of Winnemucca Ranch Road will not be impacted. To the south, above the high school, will be part of the land deal.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And to the OP (and no, I'm not saying you personally are part of the problem out here in Reno), you can tell the AMA that ATV riders (and to a lesser degree motorcycles) are a huge part of the reason for this loss of public land. Far too many drunk 20-something yahoos out in this area riding anywhere they want, ripping up the land, and carving out dozens of unnecessary trails. Again, unfortunately, I have seen it first hand.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
As a mountain biker, allow me also to state how much damage a dirt bike can produce to the hand built trails and the roads created out in the desert. I have met quite a few dirt bikers in my time and most of them have been great to work with, most of them actively participating in the Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful clean up days. However, I also see way too many 20 something kids tearing up everything in sight. It only takes a couple of dirt bikers to ruin a perfect trail and/or road.

Okay, my rant is over.

martinfan

And to the OP (and no, I'm not saying you personally are part of the problem out here in Reno), you can tell the AMA that ATV riders (and to a lesser degree motorcycles) are a huge part of the reason for this loss of public land. Far too many drunk 20-something yahoos out in this area riding anywhere they want, ripping up the land, and carving out dozens of unnecessary trails. Again, unfortunately, I have seen it first hand.

I'm reasonably sure that the American Motorcycle Association is aware of who the problem is. That being said the problem doesn't ride atvs, dirt bikes or drive 4 wheel drive vehicles. The first part of the problem is those who disrespect the land we all enjoy . The second part of the problem is that the good people don't take action. I don't care how old you are, if you can read, you can read about land closure some where. Eventually it will hit home and land closures do not discriminate, they affect us all.
And even though this property we are speaking of is 3000 miles from my Motorcycle Club we pass the info to our members. And we ask that our members contact there representative and ask them to vote against any land closure. Now I feel it's pretty obvious I am more than a dirt biker or Jeeper. I am an individual who is trying to get the information out to those who want to make a difference and TRY to stop any land closure. Thank you all for reading and if you aren't please become a member of a club or organization and take an active role in preservation of our recreational areas.
Roger

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Funny you mention...I go hiking different places see and I wish people would clean up their shell casings AND trash!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just confirmed it was an ATV rollover. One dead at the scene and one airlifted to the hospital. Sad for sure, but not surprising in the least.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If you actually read my post instead of just taking the position (from the east coast no less) that any land sale is bad, you would have seen that I said I will post up a true map once it is provided to me by Congressman Amodei's office.

Do me a favor, let's deal with actual facts...not what some special interest group puts together and circulates on off-road forums to try to garner attention.

martinfan

If you actually read my post instead of just taking the position (from the east coast no less) that any land sale is bad, you would have seen that I said I will post up a true map once it is provided to me by Congressman Amodei's office.

Do me a favor, let's deal with actual facts...not what some special interest group puts together and circulates on off-road forums to try to garner attention.

So it's YOUR opinion that the American Motorcycle Association as well as the Blue Ribbon Coalition are SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS that don't have your interest. Wow now there is a fresh perspective. I did read your post and maybe you could obtain the information or maybe it's already out there. Maybe you shouldn't take it personal. And it appears that it takes someone from the east coast to bring this to light for you as i didn't see you redirecting this subject to on open conversation on this board. At least the subject is on the table. YOUR WELCOME

Top Bottom