For the avid readers

atrollip

I'm quite an avid reader and as I'm finishing another series of books I was wondering if there's others on the forum that enjoy reading as much as I do and what everyone's reading currently, as I'm running out new series to read.

I've just finished the Veronica Roth Divergent series. Really enjoyed it, as always the books were better than the movies.

Attachments

• 1463404645847.jpg
    1463404645847.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 129

Stick

Have you read the John Milton books by Mark Dawson? It's about a former British Government assassin who quits and goes on the run from the government and uses his skills to help people along the way. I just gone done with the most recent book, it has 9 books in the series and 2 short stories.

Dana

Subscribed! I love to read just have a hard time finding the time and a great series!

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Subscribed. I have always read a lot and usually get involved in fictional works that have a series based on a particular character. Recent author characters: Michael Connely/Lincoln Lawyer and Detective Bosch, Robert Ludlum/ Bourne, Lee Child/ Jack Reacher, John Sandford/ Lucas Davenport - Prey series, James Patterson/ Private series - NYPD series - Alex Cross series, lots of John Grisham, George R R Martin/ Game of Thrones etc.... Look forward to finding new authors through this thread [emoji106]🏼

GraniteCrystal

I read the first two books of Divergent and then saw the Amazon reviews of the 3rd were terrible and said not to read so I quit. If you liked those though, I assume you also read Hunger Games? If not, can't recommend it enough. It came before Divergent and is actually good writing. Also, read The Martian which was fantastic and much better than the movie and am working my way through The Revenant right now and loving it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Subscribed! I WISH I read more. Maybe I'll stumble across a series mentioned here that catches my interest. :thumb:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Really into the Jack Ryan series by Tom Clancy, biographies and right now I'm trying to finish up a Sherlock Holmes book my wife got me a couple years ago, has the 4 books plus a bunch of short stories in it. Keeps me occupied while on the plane.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Subscribed for good recommendations.

I made it a goal to start reading more this year. Below is my list for 2016 that I started in the 2016 goal thread. I'll update it here.

2016 books:
1) The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
2) The 3G Way: Dream, People, Culture by Francisco S. Homem de Mello
3) The Art of Happiness at work by The Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler (audio)
4) The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich (expanded and updated version) by Timothy Ferriss
5) The Great Depression: A Diary by Benjamin Roth
6) Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation by Edward Chancellor (excerpts...got a little tired of it. To much finance reading so far this year)
7) A guide to the good life: the ancient art of Stoic joy by William B Irvine (I really wanted to like this book, but just couldn't get into it)
8) The Future We Want: Radical Ideas for the New Century
9) Weed the People: The future of Legal Marijuana in America by Bruce Barcott
10) The Forgotten by David Baldacci
11) After the End by Amy Plum (audio)
12) The Litigators by John Grisham
13) Gray Mountain by John Grisham
14) The Escape by David Baldacci (Audio)
15) The Racketeer by John Grisham (Audio, but it was the last one I listened to on vacation and couldn't get into it)
16) Code of Conduct by Brad Thor (Audio)
17) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Last edited:

Kyle7R

I'm currently reading a series of Elmore Leonard books, and I have loved every minute of it. Next I want to read the Bourne series, I keep putting off reading the Game of Thrones books, because I'm afraid I won't be able to apply enough time towards them to enjoy.

SilverBack

Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Series. 8 books in all if I remember correctly. Not a huge King fan but these book are awesome.

Ddays

Hooked
If you like SciFi this 4 book series is awesome. I generally don't like series but this one was damn good.
This is the first book.

hyperion_early_sm.jpg

atrollip

Granite Crystal I'm busy with the hunger games books now as I didn't want to start reading them before the movies were done I'm always to disappointed by the movies after reading the books.
MTG I tried reading Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goulman. It's really good but I struggle to read business, finance or real life motivational books. But that's a good list if I could get myself to read those types of books.
Kyle7R the Bourne series is amazing you can't go wrong with picking that up to read.
Now I'm liking some of the suggestions, I might give the Stephen Kings a shot next not normally a fan of him more of a Dean Koontz fan but those did seem good...

MTG

Caught the Bug
MTG I tried reading Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goulman. It's really good but I struggle to read business, finance or real life motivational books. But that's a good list if I could get myself to read those types of books.

Never heard of that book, I'll have to check it out.

Skip #2 and 8 on my list. LOL!

Here is a great little primer on finance/investing: https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
I am not a millennial, but the advice is sound regardless. I plan to work my way through the reading recommendations this year.

Bumping for more recommendations. I need some good fiction to read on vacation.

8POUND

I've been reading books by Brad Thor and David Baldacci. They are government/spy/secret agent books. Good reading for those that like that genre of books. Just started " The Third Wave". It's about technology and where it is heading.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I've been reading books by Brad Thor and David Baldacci. They are government/spy/secret agent books. Good reading for those that like that genre of books. Just started " The Third Wave". It's about technology and where it is heading.

How does Brad Thor compare to Tom Clancy? I loved those novels.

To others, I would HIGHLY recommend the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. I have read the entire 13 book series twice over. His writing style is amazing and has you on the edge of your seat. If you are into any kind of sailing in general or the Age of Sail in particular, this is a very enjoyable read.

8POUND

Very similar style of writing. Always a new adventure with different characters. Lots of twists and turns. I'm glad none are movies yet, I like to imagine the characters, places and story. You lose a lot in a movie version.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Love Baldacci. Listening to the Forgotten right now. :thumb:

fincher

I really liked the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. Been stuck on Game of Thrones for the past year. I also liked the Dark Tower series by Stephen King mentioned by others.

Top Bottom