Good affordable beadlock?

BroncoRubi

What are some good affordable beadlock wheels. I will be getting some in the future and want to know in advance what stay away from and what are good.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
ATX/KMC slabs or chamber pros are very affordable and trail tested :thumb:. Have yet to see any issues with either one.

JeepJeep75

I was just looking at the ATX beedlock wheels on Offroad Evolution's website. Right now if you buy 4 you get a 5th wheel free.

Moabbnd

Affordable? Depends on your budget.

Allied steel beadlocks are priced low

All other aluminum beadlocks (Method, ATX, Walker Evan, Trail Ready, etc) are around $300+ for 17"

JayKay

Caught the Bug
American Eagle makes some now, not crazy about the offset compared to the ATX wheels, but they're at a lower price point

JoeB-JKURX

For Looks or as Funtional Trail Beadlocks

Regular beadlocks (with locking ring on the outside rim) def look cool and do the job on the trail. I have Level 8 Bully Pro wheels that I love (with a rock ring that looks somewhat like a beadlock). I'd like to have the trail security of beadlocks but want to keep these wheels. My thought is that I may go with the Coyote (Staun) inflatable internal beadlocks. They not only lock both the inside and outside beads to the rim but also give you a measure of runflat (the inflatable ring acts like a very tough inner tube at 50 psi). I did get one report of the ring chaffing the inside of the tire but have also gotten numerous reports of use with no chaffing (just from postings on the internet). It would seem that if the tire was at a low enough pressure that the beadlock pocket rubbed constantly (frequently) against the inside of the tire, chaffing could get down to the tire threads or even to the steel belt. Just have to follow the instructions to keep the tire at 5 psi or higher.

No worries with these relative to the law anywhere as they would be classified as inner tubes (if anyone had any idea you were even running beadlocks as there is no exteral indication other than an extra fill valve for the inflatable inner tube). They def don't look as bad-ass as regular beadlocks though.

As far as affordability, you can get a set of 5 for 17" wheels for a grand.

I don't think that there are a lot of folks running these but would be interested in hearing from folks that have good or bad experiences with them.

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
Stauns work pretty well, and let you keep your current wheel if you like them. I have used them in the past in a few rigs without issues. They are easy to install and pretty stealth. For more constant rock usage, I recommend going with actual beadlocks, and running steel outer rings (even if you are using alloy wheels).

Allied work very well in the sub $200 range and for a bit more you can go with alum.

Good luck!

JoeB-JKURX

Stauns work pretty well, and let you keep your current wheel if you like them. I have used them in the past in a few rigs without issues. They are easy to install and pretty stealth. For more constant rock usage, I recommend going with actual beadlocks, and running steel outer rings (even if you are using alloy wheels).

Allied work very well in the sub $200 range and for a bit more you can go with alum.

Good luck!

I'm in the rocks quite a bit (as one look at my gouged and dinged rock rings would attest) - so far without the benefit of a beadlock (10-12 psi with KM2s). I see that you would not recommend the Stauns (the Coyote beadlocks are the same) for frequent rock crawling and I was wondering what your reasoning might be. I communicated with the Coyote guy and he says that, as long as you stay at 5 psi or higher, there is no chaffing of the inside of the tire (probably depends a bit on the construction of the tire and the width of the wheel). There was one report of significant chaffing but no indication of the pressure used (or whether he was running flat).

If there is truly a reason for significant concern, I'll probably just get a set of steel beadlocks to use in the rocks.

geberhard

Douchebag
Joe hi,

I run Satuns on two different sets of wheels and tires. On the first Stauns and H2 wheels (17 alum) people were having issues (gosh this is back in 2007), and teh second gen Stauns addressed some of them i.e.
staun.jpg

I had them as well on teh wife's TJ, and they worked flawlessly, bjut again not airing down often to single digits on rocks. Opening the last tires they did shaff some (MTR's on steelies), but not enough to justify not running them. I would consider the minor shaffing a small price to pay and did not seem to affect the tire's integrity any more than any other lock woudl do when running low pressure. I actually think the Stauns do protect the bead are more than a single beadlock would as they keep both beads (inside and outside in the same plane as opposed to a single beadlock which will only hold teh outer bead. That said, it is a killer product and I would not hesitate in running Staun's again.

13239402_10204857504197830_4250913888350824916_n.jpg

Top Bottom