a jeepless wave from Germany

jolly

Hey there,

i'm Joe and currently in search for a JK.

Thank you for having me.

Oh wait, there's a story behind that. I'm currently in search for a JK as my life starts to happen more and more off the beaten track. Which is a good thing, but looking at my cars the big problem is: none of them fits the role.

I've always been a car guy and grew up to become an automotive engineer. Racing and rallying was a great part of my life in my teenage years, so i've always been around street and racecars. I'm still around a lot of street and racecars which is quite obvious when you look at my garage. There's even a car that at 45" height none of your cars would have a problem rolling over it. :icon_crazy:

528F9ED0-0C08-4FB4-A9A1-A1C9CEA843F5_zpsieatotv7.jpg

as you see - that's as much gravel as it can take.

I always had a soft spot for offroad cars in general and wranglers in special. But there never was the urge or the need for one. Until now.

With two dogs it's more and more hiking and playing in woods, hills and meadows; which, after a lot of compromises (the most recent one to be a BMW X1), finally convinced me to buy a Wrangler.

And that's where i'm now.

When Eddie welcomed me to wayalife i told him i'm sitting in the passenger seat of a friend's JK right now and even might be the new owner of a JK when i'm introducing myself here. And that's what happened today. Or actually: did not happen today.

I found a nice JK. Lifted, Warn winch, a few years old, but generally good and tidy looking. I went to see it today, 1,5 hours away. I looked underneath it, i checked the winch, i checked the interior and everything looked fine. I even checked the engine bay with no clue what to search for to be honest. And more out of habit i lifted the cap of the expansion tank and was greeted by a shower of coolant. Which was odd, as the engine was cold and we had an outside temperature of around 10°C (which is around 50 degrees i think) and there shouldn't be that much of pressure in a cold cooling system, right?
So i stuck my finger in it (men seem to have a habit for that) and it came out black. :naw: Which seemingly was as much of a shock for the seller as it was for me. Or at least he acted like it. He told me that the car ran perfectly and if i liked the car in general he'd have it checked and repaired before selling. I was finished with the car at that point, but it looked like a decent dealership and there's nothing bad about it if they fix the problem properly. Plus, with the car came a one-year-warranty, so there's nothing in it for him to sell me a broken car.

So we took a test-drive, because he said it always ran perfectly and never got hot (i suspected it was the head gasket). That test drive lasted - i shit you not - not more than a minute when the car shat itself, engine started to run rough, the MIL went on and the engine off. I'm quite convinced that this was more of a shock to him than me. You cannot easily fake getting that pale.

So that's how it ended. My first test drive in a JK, that lasted less time than a teenager in bed with a supermodel.

Adding insult to injury on my way home 5 JKUs passed me. I've never even seen more than one a month before today.

We'll see when the right one comes up. Until then, i have your adventures to read about and your cars to look at.

I'm looking forward to being here.

All the best
Joe :beer:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Welcome to Wayalife! Be careful, the JK's power might be too much for you to handle compared to what you are used to driving. ;):cheesy:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Guten Tag Herr Jolly,

Wie geht's? Gut is glaube mit schneller Motorrad. Ja?

But not to worry, when I joined Wayalife I was completely Jeepless also. I have been wanting a Jeep Wrangler for almost 20 years, just now have the ability to buy one the way I wanted it. I have learned so so much from these members. They have done well to keep me out of trouble by purchasing the wrong products.

Enjoy and we hope to hear from you soon with a picture of a Jeep JK shortly!!

Bis dann,

Herr Zielmeister

lefty02

Willkommen aus Las Vegas!!! I spent a couple tours in Germany (over 9 years) and never really got a handle on the language, so I probably screwed up the greeting! Anyway, glück mit der JK!

jolly

[...] Be careful, the JK's power might be too much for you to handle compared to what you are used to driving. ;):cheesy:

don't overestimate the power of a "racecar" - i'm not James Glickenhaus or Nick Mason, i was confined to racing VW Polos and MX-5s :D

Willkommen aus Las Vegas!!! I spent a couple tours in Germany (over 9 years) and never really got a handle on the language, so I probably screwed up the greeting! [...]

The greeting is perfectly fine. :)

Thank you all for the welcome, i keep you posted.

BdugJK

Welcome from the St Louis area. I went from low and fast cars to tall and not so fast jeeps. I'll always have that fast itch but playing off road is a new kind of fun! Good luck finding your JK!

jolly

I have a confession to make. I strayed from the right path. Or at least maybe in your eyes.

I looked for the perfect Wrangler for some time, then at XJs and then something else crossed my path - a Mercedes.

I never really considered the G-Wagon, the playtoy of rich sons and daughters, but once it was (and yet still is) a very capable offroader. But back then it really just was a Geländewagen, not a SUV.

It's a 1983 one with the narrow body without overfenders and the double "barndoor".

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

the only problem is: my girlfriend always takes it now, she has already put more miles on the G than i did.

Top Bottom