In need of d44

kyle521

Back in the market for a dana 44 front axle, trying to see whats out there on the used market. Prefer dealing local in the northeast. Searching for anything from rubicon take off to aftermarket. Would be ideal with 5.13s to match my rear.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So my d30 blew up, it will be around $800 to fix. I was wondering where the best place to locate a d44 would be. I want to get one as close to 2000 as possible. Whats the cheapest aftermarket d44? I see spicer now makes one for around $3500 but that is still out of the budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Look around for a used rubicon one with that price range. Truthfully, if you're going to upgrade to a 44, go with Dynatrac. I know it's more than your budget, but kind of a do it once and don't worry about it thing. Check ebay and local CL for a used rubicon, but then still, you may have to modify the gear ratio which is more money.

EDIT: Just for kicks, here's one, think it's just housing though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Jeep-J...ash=item25ba78d8a7:g:BMcAAOSwll1WuiWc&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
So my d30 blew up, it will be around $800 to fix. I was wondering where the best place to locate a d44 would be. I want to get one as close to 2000 as possible. Whats the cheapest aftermarket d44? I see spicer now makes one for around $3500 but that is still out of the budget. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Check junk yards

swampdog

I don't think they will let you order the stock front end in anything greater than a 4.10 based on the linked Mopar pamphlet...which is why I will be looking for a cheaper takeoff 44 to have 4.88 installed in or keep saving and just do the PR44

Last edited:

mds22

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463615154.714552.jpg

You can get them new for pretty cheap now. $2400 Extra $500+ with 4.88, you have to reuse your brakes

kyle521

So $2400, then I will still need to pay for gears and install (5.13), so Im looking at close to 3000.
The Spicer d44 with 5.13 already installed is 3795 msrp.

Im also thinking of throwing another set of gears into the d30. I only need this to last a year until I can do super duty axles once I have a second car

mds22

So $2400, then I will still need to pay for gears and install (5.13), so Im looking at close to 3000.
The Spicer d44 with 5.13 already installed is 3795 msrp.

LOL... Well will that logic of its only 26.5% more, you could add another 26% ish and be at almost 5k and get yourself a PR44.

kyle521

LOL... Well will that logic of its only 26.5% more, you could add another 26% ish and be at almost 5k and get yourself a PR44.

Its more of just the closest price comparison, not saying I would go that route, but if I can get that axle for a discount that brings the price down to closer to $3000, it may be worth it to save time over having someone regear a stock d44.
A PR44 to me is just not worth it, it may be for some due to warranty and what not but for my intended uses, I just need a bigger ring and pinion so it doesnt blow up after 4000 miles, and to last me another year or so until I can build up some full size axles

Another question, Does anyone know the tube thickness of the d30/d44 front housings?

Last edited:
Top Bottom