RECALL NOTICE : 2007-10 Jeep JK Wrangler Clockspring Assembly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who have a 2007-10 Jeep JK Wrangler and haven't seen it, FCA has just released the following recall notice to have faulty clocksprings replaced. If you have you have a JK in this range of years and have your airbag light on, you really should make an appointment with your dealership to have this recall performed. In addition to replacing the clockspring, it looks like they will also install a new steering-wheel back cover and a steering-column shroud to help prevent dust and dirt from getting in and causing the problem to occur again.

Statement: Clockspring

May 18, 2016 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC is voluntarily recalling an estimated 392,464 older-model SUVs in the U.S. to replace their clockspring assemblies and related components.

Located in a vehicle’s steering wheel, a clockspring forms part of the circuit that helps control airbag function. An investigation by FCA US determined excessive exposure to dust and dirt – consistent with extensive off-road driving or driving with a vehicle’s top and/or doors removed – may compromise the clockspring and eventually prevent driver-side airbag deployment in a crash.

If this condition is present, the airbag warning-lamp will be illuminated. If such an event occurs, customers are advised to contact their dealers.

The Company is unaware any potentially related injuries or accidents.

Affected by this campaign are model-year 2007-2010 Jeep Wrangler SUVs. An additional 7,435 model-year 2011-2016 vehicles equipped with right-hand drive for special duty also are affected in the U.S.

Vehicles affected outside the U.S. comprise an estimated 35,412 in Canada; 8,529 in Mexico and 62,580 outside the NAFTA region. Customers will be advised when they may schedule service, which includes installation of a new steering-wheel back cover and a steering-column shroud.

Customers with questions may call the FCA US Customer Care Center at 1-800-853-1403.

TRLJNKY

Damn, you just went through this didnt you? Good to know. Ive got two 07's. Thanks for the post

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
cav♤fighter;706406 said:
Damn, you just went through this didnt you? Good to know. Ive got two 07's. Thanks for the post

LOL!! Still going though it and this isn't the first or even second clock spring I've had to replace. :rolleyes2:

Only thing that sucks is that I'm running an LS now and a lot has changed. I suspect that this recall won't apply to me.

PJScullyJr

Clock Spring

And my light just went on last week!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

JAGS

Hooked
I was just going to send this to you. Came across my feed just now. Bummer it may not apply because of the LS.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
LOL!! Still going though it and this isn't the first or even second clock spring I've had to replace. :rolleyes2:

Only thing that sucks is that I'm running an LS now and a lot has changed. I suspect that this recall won't apply to me.

I'd be pretty irate if they didn't honor the recall for my steering wheel because my motor was different. I hope they don't dick you around like that.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

I really hope Chrysler does the right thing and still does the recall for you even with the swap

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be pretty irate if they didn't honor the recall for my steering wheel because my motor was different. I hope they don't dick you around like that.

Problem is, we've had to make changes to our computer and had to add wiring to the dash/steering column area. I can probably do something with the wires but they might have issues with the fact that I now have 2 OBD ports. We'll see.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Problem is, we've had to make changes to our computer and had to add wiring to the dash/steering column area. I can probably do something with the wires but they might have issues with the fact that I now have 2 OBD ports. We'll see.

Might be risky letting the dealership touch it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Might be risky letting the dealership touch it!

Yeah, that was my thought too. Of course, I'm sure it wouldn't help anything that Moby used to be a manual and is now an automatic and had to be programmed for it. If the dealership has to hook up a scan tool for anything, they'll most likely make things worse.

WJCO

Meme King
Does this apply if we've had it replaced before?

Depends on the details of the recall. Usually they'll put something in there about customers who have already paid out of pocket can be refunded, etc, or will still need to install an updated part.

Trail Bud

Hooked
Depends on the details of the recall. Usually they'll put something in there about customers who have already paid out of pocket can be refunded, etc, or will still need to install an updated part.

Thanks I'll look into it.

jeeeep

Hooked
hell! I just received my clockspring ...hope I can still return it.

I called Chrysler 2 weeks ago when it went out and they told me no warranty :doh:

TwistedJK

Thanks a ton Eddie! Good thing I haven't installed mine yet. I'll be returning it this weekend and making an appointment to have it changed at the dealership.

jeeeep

Hooked
I just got off the phone with Chrysler customer service and it's not in their systems yet so they couldn't do anything. going to call a dealership tomorrow see if they have notice.

The rep had to look it up online to confirm!

My clock spring went out last week, I have the replacement but if I can get it fixed for free I'd rather do that then submit for reimbursement.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
There was a article that explained that Chrysler extended the warranty on clock springs to 10 years

Last edited:
Top Bottom