JL Diesel, AdBlue/DEF, and the Apocalypse

JamesWyatt

So for all those interested in the possibility of a diesel offering in the new JL, how do you feel about the AdBlue / DEF additive that's required for emissions?

I've always been partial to diesel for all the obvious reasons, but also because in a SHTF situation it may be easier to acquire and can last longer than gas without going bad (about a year for diesel VS 6 months or so for gas (provided you don't have fuel stabilizer for the gas)). But since the JL will obviously require some sort of DEF fluid additive to meet emissions standards, this complicated the off the grid / SHTF advantage of diesel. Granted if your AdBlue tank is full when SHTF, you're probably ok, but this stuff has a very short shelf life before and is easily degraded by UV exposure.

Putting aside the (mostly) unrealistic chance of SHTF, having this system complicates diesel ownership compared with diesels of even five to ten years ago. I'm not well versed on the specifics, but in the short time I owned a Touareg TDI with AdBlue, I read of a number of complications being experienced - everything from cold weather complications to the reliability of the interconnected systems themselves.

I don't know how Jeep handles this in the Grand Cherokee ecodiesel, but on the Touareg, if you run out of AdBlue fluid, the vehicle will refuse to start.

I'm hoping the aftermarket tuning community will develop an AdBlue delete modification for the JL diesel for those of us in states where diesel emissions are not regulated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, while I love the idea of a motor with a lot of torque, I have never really been a big fan of diesels. Maybe it's because of the ones I've seen on the trail, they've always been stinky and it sucks to be behind them. That being said, diesel technology has come a long way and I have to say that I am mildly interested in seeing what Jeep will have to offer.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The DEF sucks donkey balls. Every truck in the oilfield has issues when they sit to long idling. My drivers have to get out on the highway to clean them out. Mid size trucks have the same issues.

Imagine a trail tampoon and having to sit to long.. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out.

I hope the smaller diesel have better luck than the bigger trucks.

Grubbicon

Personally Im not interested in one but I agree DEF and all the diesel emissions are bullshit. Truck is so clogged up that it gets worst fuel economy, runs worse and loses power. On my 2016 Dodge 3500 it was fully deleted within 4k miles. Not to mention its just a pain in the ass to keep filling it up with DEF considering after like 2-3 tank of diesel pulling with it it was empty.

Jeeptang

I love turbo diesels and all the things you can do with them with a simple tuner. As far as def goes, I'm sure in time someone will figure out how to race tune one and get rid of it. In the meantime you just have to fight the def

I doubt they will do a mechanical system either on it like on my 6.4 powerstroke.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Personally Im not interested in one but I agree DEF and all the diesel emissions are bullshit. Truck is so clogged up that it gets worst fuel economy, runs worse and loses power. On my 2016 Dodge 3500 it was fully deleted within 4k miles. Not to mention its just a pain in the ass to keep filling it up with DEF considering after like 2-3 tank of diesel pulling with it it was empty.

Not in commie fornia I can't. That's the reason pre emission diesels are crazy high in price.

Grubbicon

Not in commie fornia I can't. That's the reason pre emission diesels are crazy high in price.

Yup gotta love living in Georgia. I know my EGR delete and a few other things said can not ship to the state of California. Its about how like everything says "known to cause cancer on the state of California" lol.

WJCO

Meme King
The DEF sucks donkey balls. Every truck in the oilfield has issues when they sit to long idling. My drivers have to get out on the highway to clean them out. Mid size trucks have the same issues.

Imagine a trail tampoon and having to sit to long.. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out.

I hope the smaller diesel have better luck than the bigger trucks.

Yep, these systems suck. For a bugout vehicle, I wouldn't want all this shit on my vehicle for reliability, not worth it.

No kidding. We sold a 1999 7.3L powerstroke with 300k on it for a crazy amount of money a couple years ago. Reliable and easy to work on.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yep, these systems suck. For a bugout vehicle, I wouldn't want all this shit on my vehicle for reliability, not worth it.

No kidding. We sold a 1999 7.3L powerstroke with 300k on it for a crazy amount of money a couple years ago. Reliable and easy to work on.

I've been trying to find a 7.3. 15k plus for any of them. Miles don't matter. Assholes!

WJCO

Meme King
I've been trying to find a 7.3. 15k plus for any of them. Miles don't matter. Assholes!

Ours was a SRW 350, Longbed Supercrew Lariat. Very good shape even for the high mileage. I think we sold it for around 10k. We weren't using it as often as we liked and we knew it was worth some $. Also, parking it in Boulder (liberal,hippie,prius,granola town) was near impossible. They purposefully design parking spots to accommodate small cars not trucks. 20 point turns everywhere with a supercrew longbed. It was a damn reliable truck though.

Weeds

So for all those interested in the possibility of a diesel offering in the new JL, how do you feel about the AdBlue / DEF additive that's required for emissions?

I've always been partial to diesel for all the obvious reasons, but also because in a SHTF situation it may be easier to acquire and can last longer than gas without going bad (about a year for diesel VS 6 months or so for gas (provided you don't have fuel stabilizer for the gas)). But since the JL will obviously require some sort of DEF fluid additive to meet emissions standards, this complicated the off the grid / SHTF advantage of diesel. Granted if your AdBlue tank is full when SHTF, you're probably ok, but this stuff has a very short shelf life before and is easily degraded by UV exposure.

Putting aside the (mostly) unrealistic chance of SHTF, having this system complicates diesel ownership compared with diesels of even five to ten years ago. I'm not well versed on the specifics, but in the short time I owned a Touareg TDI with AdBlue, I read of a number of complications being experienced - everything from cold weather complications to the reliability of the interconnected systems themselves.

I don't know how Jeep handles this in the Grand Cherokee ecodiesel, but on the Touareg, if you run out of AdBlue fluid, the vehicle will refuse to start.

I'm hoping the aftermarket tuning community will develop an AdBlue delete modification for the JL diesel for those of us in states where diesel emissions are not regulated.

On my GC you will get a warning to add DEF with 500 miles until empty. I only have 5000 miles on the GC and have not had to add DEF. I have not seen many problems with the GC and DEF on the GC sites.

I sure love the power of the diesel. The GC has no problem going 90 mph to pass on two-lane roads. I would love to have it in my JK.

Grubbicon

Lol, good one. I've been one of the lucky owners. I've had a few.

Haha I just give them shit considering all my buddies with them put way to much power in them and just destroy stuff left and right. Thats expected with any truck like that though.

Before my current truck had a 1996 Dodge 3500 4x4 extended cab long bed dually that was a p pump 12 valve with a 5speed. I got around 12 for it. I have to say really miss that truck.

Wethy

And according to the owners manual of my brothers '14 2500 Cummins the DEF has to be tested every time you put it in or it's not covered by the warranty it cost him a grand to get the system cleaned out because because the dealer didn't put tested fluid in. And in Ontario it's also illegal to delete the truck so he's stuck paying more for def fluid to have it put in by a stealership. I do love the idea of a diesel jeep. Though but I would think a turbo'd diesel would be harder to "waterproof" for a deep crossing and may be more susceptible to harder fixes if something goes wrong on a trail. Maybe lol

Grubbicon

And according to the owners manual of my brothers '14 2500 Cummins the DEF has to be tested every time you put it in or it's not covered by the warranty it cost him a grand to get the system cleaned out because because the dealer didn't put tested fluid in. And in Ontario it's also illegal to delete the truck so he's stuck paying more for def fluid to have it put in by a stealership. I do love the idea of a diesel jeep. Though but I would think a turbo'd diesel would be harder to "waterproof" for a deep crossing and may be more susceptible to harder fixes if something goes wrong on a trail. Maybe lol

That really just doesnt seem right. What is he supposed to do if he is going on long trip and needs to fill it up. If I remember later I will look in the manual for my truck and see if it says anything about that because it just doesnt seem right.

Clem319

I had a 99 7.3 that I couldn't give away in 2008, but diesel was $5.50 a gallon and I commuted to Mojave everyday. I sold it dirt cheap and wish I'd never sold it. Live and learn. My last newer super duty was a piece of shit.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I had a 99 7.3 that I couldn't give away in 2008, but diesel was $5.50 a gallon and I commuted to Mojave everyday. I sold it dirt cheap and wish I'd never sold it. Live and learn. My last newer super duty was a piece of shit.

Anything after a 7.3 is shit..

Heholua

Anything after a 7.3 is shit..

The 6.7s are pretty decent except for the radiators and EGR valves. I've had the 6.0 and the 6.4 for a company truck and both sucked.

As for the OP, I have the 3.0 eco diesel Ram 1500 for my current company truck. If you you run it out of DEF you're an idiot. The DEF tank is 10 gallons and should get around 10,000 miles, so if you run out its you're own fault. I have around 60K miles so far and no issues. Averaging 26-30 mpg.

Top Bottom