Third row seat

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Ok so I didn't want to get flamed on here, but here goes.

Anyone have any experience good or bad with adding a third row seat to a JKU? I gave up my TJ when I had my third kid, well a year after getting my JKU I now have a fourth on the way. I don't want to give up the jeep life, so I need to fit 6 people in my JKU. I know there are a couple of aftermarket options out there, little seats and teraflex makes a bracket that will let you add a rear seat for a 2 door. Or has anyone come up with a better option? I know some people have objections to the safety of this mod. I am planning on using the third row mainly for the trail, and I am not planning on running anything crazy with the family in there either. Thanks for any experience and advice.

TRLJNKY

Gonna follow this. I have 4 kids and have to take 2 Jeeps everywhere I go as a family lol. Ive looked at a few but have always felt they were a lil sketchy but man it would be nice

Taumsauk

I installed a third row single seat from littleseats.com in my 2012 jkur and it's served my 4th daughter very well. I'd say that it's far better quality than the factory seats. It has 100% leather seating surfaces and matches the factory seats perfectly. It bolts down to a thick steel plate that's bolted to the floor board.

Undertheradar

Caught the Bug
I saw a guy on the Rubicon a few years ago with 3rd row seating. He also extended the roll cage for safety and to be able to mount a full length roof rack for their gear. He also had custom racks for his coolers, it was a very cool set up.

I saw a guy on the Rubicon a few years ago with 3rd row seating. He also extended the roll cage for safety and to be able to mount a full length roof rack for their gear. He also had custom racks for his coolers, it was a very cool set up.

I saw that as well, was a pretty trick setup. I would think that as long as you can address solid mounting points for the seat belts and the seat itself you'd be good to go

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Very much what I would like to do. With all those seats I'm definitely gonna have to address my cargo carrying capability as well.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I installed a third row single seat from littleseats.com in my 2012 jkur and it's served my 4th daughter very well. I'd say that it's far better quality than the factory seats. It has 100% leather seating surfaces and matches the factory seats perfectly. It bolts down to a thick steel plate that's bolted to the floor board.

I have looked at these as well. My only concern was that the seats look very small. How tall of a kid can use it safely?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Ok so I didn't want to get flamed on here, but here goes.

Anyone have any experience good or bad with adding a third row seat to a JKU? I gave up my TJ when I had my third kid, well a year after getting my JKU I now have a fourth on the way. I don't want to give up the jeep life, so I need to fit 6 people in my JKU. I know there are a couple of aftermarket options out there, little seats and teraflex makes a bracket that will let you add a rear seat for a 2 door. Or has anyone come up with a better option? I know some people have objections to the safety of this mod. I am planning on using the third row mainly for the trail, and I am not planning on running anything crazy with the family in there either. Thanks for any experience and advice.

I've run the littlepassangerseats singe jump seat in my 2014 JKU side facing and now in my 2016 JKU rear facing. It's not cheap, but it's a quality product and made right here in the US. You can see it in both build threads in my signature, but here is how I am running it now.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464098361.918550.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464098393.994733.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464098416.356201.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464098436.416799.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464098460.600109.jpg

As you can see, rear facing you still have access to the rear cubby. Side facing I had to modify and cut the lid just to get it to open a very little bit. I've thought about doing a 2 door bench back there, but I really don't want to loose all my cargo space. Footprint is minimal when folded up with the jump seat.

Taumsauk

There are two sizes: a single seat that can be faced sideways or rear facing, and a double that is rear facing. They work best for a child, but a small-framed adult could fit. Don't take this as gospel, I think their website recommends children up to the age of 12.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
View attachment 204780

As you can see, rear facing you still have access to the rear cubby. Side facing I had to modify and cut the lid just to get it to open a very little bit. I've thought about doing a 2 door bench back there, but I really don't want to loose all my cargo space. Footprint is minimal when folded up with the jump seat.

Awesome morale patches!! I never thought to put them there!!

Thank you for helping my good friend. I like that seat, it looks really nice and safe.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Awesome morale patches!! I never thought to put them there!!

Thank you for helping my good friend. I like that seat, it looks really nice and safe.

Lol thanks! I never would have either. My kids actually stuck them there initially and I was like "damn, that's a good idea" lol!

As far a safety, I know all of the seats from littlepassangerseats exceed the national highway safety standards. For what it's worth, I am OCD about stuff like that and feel perfectly safe with one of my children riding back there. My 10 year old twins take turns riding back there and they fit great.

To the OP; If you have a taller kid, I feel a forward facing bench would be a better solution. My 10 year olds heads still fit safely under the roll cage with no danger of bumping their heads. That will likely change in the next few years though. They are growing like sprouts now! I'm also doing the Rock Hard 3rd row cage extension once I get the Jeep back. Good, cheap insurance in my opinion.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I put in the Teraflex third row bracket and installed the back seat from a 2dr JK and it looks like it was meant to be there.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464101085.620668.jpg

Then I put in the Rock Hard cage with third row protection.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464101143.938408.jpg

I put in lap belts bit would like to fab up a mount so I could have shoulder belts.

geberhard

Douchebag
I am running the same exact setup as 2cross, Teraflex brackets, back seats from a 2 door and rock hard cage extension. I still need to add the seatbelts (I am going to use the 2 door jk rear seatbelts mounted to the cage)

Found a good write from BlackOps doing the rear seat belt setup. The guy did a good job, also welded hoops instead of using the Teraflex brackets:

Slide7.png

And how he did the upper and lower seatbelt mounts:

slide17.jpg

I did not feel comfortable running the thread nuts provided with teh kit and instead used bolts and washers to mount to the body. It is a pain to reach a few spots, but definitely doable from underneath.

BTW you can buy teh TEra brackets at Jet.com for 15% off on your first purchase so save some mulla :)

Gui

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I am running the same exact setup as 2cross, Teraflex brackets, back seats from a 2 door and rock hard cage extension. I still need to add the seatbelts (I am going to use the 2 door jk rear seatbelts mounted to the cage)

Found a good write from BlackOps doing the rear seat belt setup. The guy did a good job, also welded hoops instead of using the Teraflex brackets:

Slide7.png

And how he did the upper and lower seatbelt mounts:

slide17.jpg

I did not feel comfortable running the thread nuts provided with teh kit and instead used bolts and washers to mount to the body. It is a pain to reach a few spots, but definitely doable from underneath.

BTW you can buy teh TEra brackets at Jet.com for 15% off on your first purchase so save some mulla :)

Gui

That looks like a solid setup. I might have to change mine to be like that

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I put in the Teraflex third row bracket and installed the back seat from a 2dr JK and it looks like it was meant to be there.

View attachment 204790

View attachment 204791

I put in lap belts bit would like to fab up a mount so I could have shoulder belts.

I do not think that shoulder belts would be that helpful for the rear occupants. Rear occupants were quite safe with just a lap belt for decades. It was the forward momentum of the front passenger and driver that required the use of the shoulder/belt combination. The rear occupants would be fine in the most common impact, to the front. They will have the seats in front of them to assist with their forward momentum.

I really like your setup here and would recommend the same to my friend, the OP, for this option. I especially like the rear Rock Hard cage for the head protection. That is just awesome. I wonder if a rear tire carrier will also provide some form of protection.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'd add the PSC C-pillar reinforcement too. Then again I did that without a 3rd row.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

View attachment 204790

View attachment 204791

I love the way the tan paint looks on the 3rd row cage extension. Looks great! Curious, does the seat tumble forward still when mounted to the TF brackets? How much cargo area do you lose? I have been considering doing the 2 door seat in the back so I can match the leather to what I just installed in my rig.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I love the way the tan paint looks on the 3rd row cage extension. Looks great! Curious, does the seat tumble forward still when mounted to the TF brackets? How much cargo area do you lose? I have been considering doing the 2 door seat in the back so I can match the leather to what I just installed in my rig.

The seat tumbles forward and there is access to the cubby. There is enough room behind the seat for my winch/recovery bag. I'll try to take a picture of it later.

The seat comes in and out easily like it comes in and out of the 2 dr JK. I run it out a lot and out it in when I need it.

One consideration is you need to take out the subwoofer if you have one and replace it with a delete panel you get from the dealer.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Pics of it in the jeep
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464131755.571152.jpg
Folds up if you need room and don't need the seat

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464131782.166367.jpg
Pic of subwoofer delete

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464131887.351361.jpg

Top Bottom