More power from my 3.8L!!

msweeney

I am wondering what you guys are doing to your 3.8L engines to increase HP/TQ? I have extensive knowledge of Modular Ford engines but I am a 3.8L newb.:thinking: I love my new JK, but the power is a little lacking! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you looking for big gains, you need a new engine or a supercharger. Otherwise you can do little things to give it a little more pep like CAI.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am wondering what you guys are doing to your 3.8L engines to increase HP/TQ? I have extensive knowledge of Modular Ford engines but I am a 3.8L newb.:thinking: I love my new JK, but the power is a little lacking! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you're running bigger tires, the best thing you can to do help is regear to a ratio that is closer to where you should be for the tire size or, even a bit higher. You will feel the most results from this or, short of getting a new motor.

If you looking for big gains, you need a new engine or a supercharger. Otherwise you can do little things to give it a little more pep like CAI.

Engine for sure would make a difference but, I've seen less than stellar results from superchargers.

SRJeep

I suggest you try a Sprint Booster along with a CAI. Neither can make the claim they make a lot of horsepower and in fact, the Sprint Booster only changes your throttle response rate but I can tell you, there is a very noticeable difference in throttle response which is really what you may be lacking. Peak horsepower is one thing but when it comes to seat of the pants impressions in daily driving scenarios, a Sprint Booster along with a CAI will help throttle response be more reactive and instant.

In regards to a S/C, if you had mediocre impressions, I feel it was not properly set up as they give an instant seat of the pants impression with every throttle change.

FallonJeeper

I've experienced better performance and better gas mileage from a cold air intake and a Superchips FlashPaq tuner. It's not huge, but then again you have to look at what you're working with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would agree with the above. I've run a Sprint Booster and the correction in the throttle response is nice. Also, I've seen performance gains with my Superchips Flashpaq. Nothing huge mind you but, there for sure.

TrailRidden

Just installed my K&N CAI. Noticed immediate throttle response and slight low end power. I plan on pairing it will a superchip flashpaq and exhaust, these things are a great start to getting more HP/torque out of the 3.8L's. They will bring your MPG up as well.
phone.035.jpg

FallonJeeper

Just installed my K&N CAI. Noticed immediate throttle response and slight low end power. I plan on pairing it will a superchip flashpaq and exhaust, these things are a great start to getting more HP/torque out of the 3.8L's. They will bring your MPG up as well.
View attachment 11417

Good point, I totally forgot about exhaust. You can go with a good cat back system or just a Flowmaster, magna flow. Borla is supposed to breath the best. Otherwise they push the same CFM and are more about sound preference.

TrailRidden

Good point, I totally forgot about exhaust. You can go with a good cat back system or just a Flowmaster, magna flow. Borla is supposed to breath the best. Otherwise they push the same CFM and are more about sound preference.

Exactly, and you cant forget a decent set of headers! :thumb:

Top Bottom