Transmission leak question

Deuane

Is there another part of the transmission that it can leak out, other than the drain pan?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you think it's leaking from? Try cleaning everything up with some brake cleaner and a rag and then check things again. You might find it easier to track down.

Deuane

Where do you think it's leaking from? Try cleaning everything up with some brake cleaner and a rag and then check things again. You might find it easier to track down.

The dealer said it come from some cable, and may need to replace the transmission. I could not found any leak on the both side or top, it look like, it leak from the transmission pan, but I change the transmission fluid and redo the tighten of the pan, and it still leaks. It drip slowly, it hard to tell, not if I have to stay undernearth the vehicle for hours just to locate the leak which I have not done it yet.. this thing been plaquing me for months..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The dealer said it come from some cable, and may need to replace the transmission. I could not found any leak on the both side or top, it look like, it leak from the transmission pan, but I change the transmission fluid and redo the tighten of the pan, and it still leaks. It drip slowly, it hard to tell, not if I have to stay undernearth the vehicle for hours just to locate the leak which I have not done it yet.. this thing been plaquing me for months..

When you reinstalled the pan, did you pay careful attention to what the mating surface on the transmission itself looked like? If you did, you'll have noticed that there are machined out sections that will not provide a sealing surface. You kind of have to make sure that the RTV you apply on the pan will in fact make good contact with all the edges to insure a good seal. Also, if you had a tough time getting it on clean, it is possible that the RTV got compromised and that will cause a leak as well. On 07-11 transmissions, I've seen this most on the back edge of the pan where it's hardest to get to. Not saying for sure this is what your problem is, just a possibility.

Deuane

When you reinstalled the pan, did you pay careful attention to what the mating surface on the transmission itself looked like? If you did, you'll have noticed that there are machined out sections that will not provide a sealing surface. You kind of have to make sure that the RTV you apply on the pan will in fact make good contact with all the edges to insure a good seal. Also, if you had a tough time getting it on clean, it is possible that the RTV got compromised and that will cause a leak as well. On 07-11 transmissions, I've seen this most on the back edge of the pan where it's hardest to get to. Not saying for sure this is what your problem is, just a possibility.

I took it to a shop and let them do it, and it was still leaking. Finally I decide to do it my self and found out the back side was loose and, I order and add a drain plug for the transmission pan. I got all the use silicone off the pan and the transmission it self. I use the high temp silicone, the red rtv, I got the tool for the backside also and tighten it, I left it over night without pouring any fluid in. I may need to double check again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I took it to a shop and let them do it, and it was still leaking. Finally I decide to do it my self and found out the back side was loose and, I order and add a drain plug for the transmission pan. I got all the use silicone off the pan and the transmission it self. I use the high temp silicone, the red rtv, I got the tool for the backside also and tighten it, I left it over night without pouring any fluid in. I may need to double check again.

If you're still getting a leak, I might take the time to pull the pan off and double check things. You clean everything up well and use all the right tools and still not have the gasket sealing well. Trust me, I speak from experience here.

Top Bottom