3.8 long block installation

jcslax17

I've purchased a new remanufactured long block for my jku and have a few questions. My jeep has the manual transmission, is it possible for me to just unbolt the transmission from the engine and leave the transmission in place or does the transfer case and transmission have to be removed completely as well? Any input and advice from anyone who's been down this road before would be greatly appreciated

Heavyhaul07

I don't see why you would pull trans and t case. May need to support them with a jack or stand while pulling engine. I've left them in before. Not on a jk but other vehicles.

jcslax17

I don't see why you would pull trans and t case. May need to support them with a jack or stand while pulling engine. I've left them in before. Not on a jk but other vehicles.

One of the mechanics I work with seemed to think that the transmission needed to come out because of issues lining them back up.. Most of the pictures I've found on the web of 3.8s being pulled out don't have the transmission attached still but I just wanted to make sure before I start pulling the motor and run into issues putting the new one back in is all. I've pulled motors in older jeeps and a few race cars but was just curious if what he was saying was true

JeepJeep75

I'm not sure but I think Eddie might have mentioned having to slightly raise up the body to get to some of the upper bell housing to motor bolts. My memory is a bit scrambled right now so forgive me if this is false info...

Muleskinner

I don't know the answer but there is a YouTube video of a guy changing the throughout bearing and he tilted the engine and tranny together to get to the bolts. Watching that might help.

JK12

I've purchased a new remanufactured long block for my jku and have a few questions. My jeep has the manual transmission, is it possible for me to just unbolt the transmission from the engine and leave the transmission in place or does the transfer case and transmission have to be removed completely as well? Any input and advice from anyone who's been down this road before would be greatly appreciated

I believe it is possible but a pain in the ass. The bolts on the top of the bell housing would be a pain and then trying to mate them back together without breaking something would be an issue also. I just swapped my motor but I took off the front core support and pulled engine tranny and transfer case whole out the front.

jcslax17

Well I am replacing the radiator at the same time so it sounds like it'd make the whole ordeal easier to just remove the transmission as well. Thanks everyone for the advice and tips

Speeddmn

There are a few ways to accomplish this.

--Raise the entire body... got some electrical plugs, and other stuff to do then. I would not advise this route...
--Pull motor, leave trans/case in. This is fairly straight forward, one issue you run into is aligning the transmission back into the bell housing through the pressure plate/clutch. Can be done but hardly fun.
--Pull motor/trans as a combo, if you think about it, all you have to do is unbolt the driveshaft from the transfer case, verses unbolt the transmission from the motor. This makes it much easier in the long run. It will be best to also remove the entire front core support and so forth. Extra set of hands or two helps also.

Either route, enjoy, and have fun!

jcslax17

Well I pulled it off in about 4 nights and am about 320 miles into the break in without any issues. Definitely wasn't a fun process but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Top Bottom