Best liner (Rhino, Monsta, Herc, Grizzly, Rustoleum, etc.)

Finn Sizzle

Hey folks, since pulling off my OEM fender flares and losing the plastic factory inner liners I want to get my inner wheel wells lined (factory paint in there is crap) and I have seen that most offer a color mix as well, which I might go with (white).

There are numerous manufactures now offering liners and I have seen various reviews, so my question to those that have "lined" something on their rig and/or have tested various liners, any issues after a period of time with chipping/fading/discoloring? If you did color matching, how close is color was it? Are there more flexible liners that would take the beating from rocks/sand better then others?

I'll probably start with just my inner fender wells and might also do the rock rails (which I would refresh each year) and the hardtop at a later date if it holds up well.

Thanks and looking forward to some use experiences.

Speeddmn

I did the rustreolum truck bed liner on mine. For prep all I did was wash it out good and use the air compressor to blow the water out of the corners. Once a year I crawl back under/inside them and do touch ups. I don't feel the need to pay to have them done, no matter what you do (unless the mall is where it's at) the stuff with chip, peel etc. Much faster and easier if I just do it.

As for color match, I think it would look cool for white, but fine silt/mud/dirt will get stuck and eventually dull it or make it look like crap.

Finn Sizzle

I did the rustreolum truck bed liner on mine. For prep all I did was wash it out good and use the air compressor to blow the water out of the corners. Once a year I crawl back under/inside them and do touch ups. I don't feel the need to pay to have them done, no matter what you do (unless the mall is where it's at) the stuff with chip, peel etc. Much faster and easier if I just do it.

As for color match, I think it would look cool for white, but fine silt/mud/dirt will get stuck and eventually dull it or make it look like crap.

Thanks Speed. I had used the Rustoleum DIY roll-on in my YJ (late 90s/early 2K) and did the entire interior and wheel wells in black. For the most part it held up well however the interior faded considerably within a year to a light grey. Not sure if they made any improvements since then.

vjusmc

I also like Raptor liner. I bought it from Amazon and it comes in a complete kit to spray yourself.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I used Hurculiner initially on my CJ7. It was terrible. It faded within a year. It was constantly exposed to the sun and elements, but I did not expect it to fade that quickly.
In addition, it held on to dirt like crazy. It was very difficult to clean, as all of the little pours trapped dirt. I stepped on it directly with muddy boots one time, and the footprints were still there the day I sold it. If you look at the build threads in my signature, you will see how clean I keep my rigs, but the Bedliner was impossible to clean completely.
After the Hurculiner faded, I had the Bedliner stripped and redone with a spray in liner. Cleaning wise, I had the exact same issues. The only difference was the spray in liner lasted just under 2 years before it was faded to a Nasty gray and dirt mixture. It had a one year warranty from the place I got it sprayed at, but that time had elapsed and I was literally across the US at that point.
I know quite a few people have had luck with Bedliner, but I did not with 2 different brands over a 3 year period. Maybe it's because I run with my top and doors off the majority of the year. For me personally, the last place I would want to put Bedliner is in the wheel wells, where it will be bombarded with dirt, mud and elements. I don't think you would have any issues with it fading there, but it would hold on to dirt because of the texture. I used a rubberized undercoating I picked up at Autozone for my CJ7, but there are also spray can bedliners and undercoating that have less texture and may work well.
I will be trimming the flares on BOHICA as soon as I get it back and will be looking for a good product to spray the wheel wells with as well, so I am very interested to hear what others have used and thief experiences with it. Anyways, rant over lol!

Finn Sizzle

I'm pretty happy with my raptor liner.

I also like Raptor liner. I bought it from Amazon and it comes in a complete kit to spray yourself.

Does the Raptor liner allow you to put it on with a smooth finish or is it just the textured look? Since I'll be doing the wheel wells first, a smooth finish would not trap the dirt as much (I'm guessing)

Finn Sizzle

I used Hurculiner initially on my CJ7. It was terrible. It faded within a year. It was constantly exposed to the sun and elements, but I did not expect it to fade that quickly.
In addition, it held on to dirt like crazy. It was very difficult to clean, as all of the little pours trapped dirt. I stepped on it directly with muddy boots one time, and the footprints were still there the day I sold it. If you look at the build threads in my signature, you will see how clean I keep my rigs, but the Bedliner was impossible to clean completely.
After the Hurculiner faded, I had the Bedliner stripped and redone with a spray in liner. Cleaning wise, I had the exact same issues. The only difference was the spray in liner lasted just under 2 years before it was faded to a Nasty gray and dirt mixture. It had a one year warranty from the place I got it sprayed at, but that time had elapsed and I was literally across the US at that point.
I know quite a few people have had luck with Bedliner, but I did not with 2 different brands over a 3 year period. Maybe it's because I run with my top and doors off the majority of the year. For me personally, the last place I would want to put Bedliner is in the wheel wells, where it will be bombarded with dirt, mud and elements. I don't think you would have any issues with it fading there, but it would hold on to dirt because of the texture. I used a rubberized undercoating I picked up at Autozone for my CJ7, but there are also spray can bedliners and undercoating that have less texture and may work well.
I will be trimming the flares on BOHICA as soon as I get it back and will be looking for a good product to spray the wheel wells with as well, so I am very interested to hear what others have used and thief experiences with it. Anyways, rant over lol!

Yep, similar issue I had with my YJ and Rustoleum after about a year and I only ran that without a top so the sun was beating down on that constantly. The Raptor liner my be a good option as it does have a tiny able option. I agree with the textured version holding onto the dirt and staining....especially since I want to go white. Maybe I also spray some clear coat on top of it to help repel the dirt....hmmmm

mds22

Does the Raptor liner allow you to put it on with a smooth finish or is it just the textured look? Since I'll be doing the wheel wells first, a smooth finish would not trap the dirt as much (I'm guessing)

Its textured but not rough. You can change the PSI to change how rough or smooth it comes out.

Top Bottom