Overland/Expedition Builds and Adventures Thread!!!

JKBANDIT55

Here is the thread where vehicle is 2nd to travel. Even though 4 wheeling may occur while overlanding, it is not the primary goal.The essential goal is to travel and explore, visit new places and cultures, etc.

So post up the pictures/video of your build and adventures.

And no, a Roof Rack and Snorkel isn't needed to post in this thread:bleh:

Here is an overland adventure that I want to do someday!

http://vimeo.com/33586483

Last edited:

Deuane

It may be alittle out of subject, Here my baby in Afghanistan for RCP--Route Clearance, It call the Husky. I drove long hours 4 to 10 hrs with this, is has big tire.. it can survive a 10lb blast which my tire blown went flat and drive it back to base.. The Road in Afghanistan on high mountain is narrow, dirt road and medium terrain, there time I hug the mountain than the edge of the cliff. Back in 2010-2011.. I could be in Afghanistan right now due to surgery..

Attachments

• Husky.jpg
    Husky.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 290

JKBANDIT55

Here is another one of my favorites from WOL.

The Dusy! This video highlights some great scenery, team work, Wheeling, and the comradery that goes on while on these adventures. Also WOL does a good job in explaining the history of the surrounding remote wilderness. Something which to me separates this video from a lot of his other!

You also see Trailbuds awesome snorkel and jerry cans!:bleh:

http://youtu.be/zqkxVi2D9Ng

Last edited:

Deuane

Great video!! As much people put stress on the Jeep JK, I also like hiking in Afghanistan and in the State..

Attachments

• 30035104.jpg
    30035104.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 600_64625602.jpg
    600_64625602.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 52507154 (2).jpg
    52507154 (2).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 134024346 (6).jpg
    134024346 (6).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 230

JKBANDIT55

Here are some pictures of an adventure I have been tackling for 3 years now. Its called Waldorf mine trail. I think. It was made in the 1860s and claimed 6 million$ out this mine before it shut down. There are trails upon trails here and I have been here at least 10 times and still haven't covered the whole area. Every time I want to explore more in this area I always end up having to turn around because gas was getting low. This summer I plan on taking some extra gas and some camping gear to finish exploring.

Ive tried to find more info on this trail and the surrounding trails too better prepare for it but I can only seem to find info on the more common waldorf trail. It doesn't say anything about the other trails in the area that just seem to go on for ever. Even with google maps you cant clearly see where these trails lead as they go deep in the woods and the trail suddenly dissapears. But when your there, you find out that what wasn't able to be seen on google maps is actually there. And it doesnt say anything online about the trails being banned from vehicles. I even called the local sheriff and they say they haven't gone around to explore. But they do a lot of fight for life rescues in the more remote areas there.

It consists of so far that I know of. 3 water crossings, one which I haven't attempted due to it being too deep for comfort. But From google maps I know it leads to a mountain top and a few old shacks. Some minor rock crawling that a stock JK will have some trouble. Steep hill climbs. 2 13,000+ altitude mountain peeks and lots of old mine stuff to explore. I mapped out everything on google maps, and i timed it out that it would take at least 2 full days to cover all the trails in this area.

Here is what I have so far.

13,748 feet high! I believe its called McClellan mountain.
E110949D-2CC6-490E-B45D-AA504B521FC7-2491-0000022D72ADF3B4.jpg

This pic is looking down. The different trails go all through that valley, up and over some more mountains.
8C2967DC-ECF0-49B9-94AC-BB4BDA22F67D-2491-0000022D59515D4D.jpg

Screenshot2012-06-04at43003PM.png

Part of the trail runs in a river for about .4 miles. It is low at this time but every other time I been 3-6" sometimes deeper in holes.
b27891f1.jpg

Coming down a very long and very steep hill climb. Pictures dont do justice on how steep this actually is.
a13449ac.jpg

Great fishing in the stream, but I cant figure out where these fish are coming from as I thought it was all just melting galcier water. Also you can see a deer, and one of the shallower river crossings.
d2e9c002.jpg

The river was low this last summer due to low snow pact. So I made the crossing on this one. But this summer Its going to be a differen't story as this area is on route to record breaking snow fall.
0f321076.jpg

You can find this hidden water fall if you get out and hike a but.
82c4b34e.jpg

Some snow on these trails never melts.
9bd8df11.jpg

Too scared to walk in this one.(is it me or does that orb look creepy)
d69bf8b4.jpg

An old mine
e6a98fa2.jpg

Back when I had my Tacoma on one of the crossings.
bec4caf8.jpg

I bent a steering knuckle two summers ago on this trail. Was unable to drive out. Ended up having to walk for 2 hours to get cell signal for someone to come pick us up. Then walked 3 more hours to a familiar part of the trail so my buddy can find us. It was 3 am by the time we got picked up.
09586768.jpg

My old 07 jk on this trail way back in the day
DSC02278.jpg

Last edited:

gouacats

Here are some pictures of an adventure I have been tackling for 3 years now. Its called Waldorf mine trail. I think. It was made in the 1860s and claimed 6 million$ out this mine before it shut down. There are trails upon trails here and I have been here at least 10 times and still haven't covered the whole area. Every time I want to explore more in this area I always end up having to turn around because gas was getting low. This summer I plan on taking some extra gas and some camping gear to finish exploring.

Great photos! I miss Colorado!!!

jmeredith

That old mining area looks badass!! i wish 99% of the land in Texas wasnt private!! these pics make me want to go exploring!

-J

Deuane

That old mining area looks badass!! i wish 99% of the land in Texas wasnt private!! these pics make me want to go exploring!

-J

Not REALLY.. Southwest of Texas, Where I am station now Ft bliss. where a Jeep Jk can not take you, In that area where you go Hiking and explore the area, historically been use, part of hiking can be dangerous if you fell down and land on a sharp leaf like a knife that can kill you. Part of the trail are on a high mountain also, it rough terrain, and can be dangerous.. there is a historical smuggles cave on top of Franklin Mtn, also part of texas use to be under sea, Part of Franklin mtn u will see sea shelf, and there a tour during the spring and summer of a dinosaur fossil. and here a few pic..

Attachments

• 1q.jpg
    1q.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 4e.jpg
    4e.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 5r.jpg
    5r.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 124

JKBANDIT55

-J

Thanks! Thats why Im so eager to finish exploring the area. Every time I go up there I find something new and exciting!

attachment.php

It may be alittle out of subject, Here my baby in Afghanistan for RCP--Route Clearance, It call the Husky. I drove long hours 4 to 10 hrs with this, is has big tire.. it can survive a 10lb blast which my tire blown went flat and drive it back to base.. The Road in Afghanistan on high mountain is narrow, dirt road and medium terrain, there time I hug the mountain than the edge of the cliff. Back in 2010-2011.. I could be in Afghanistan right now due to surgery..

i drove the husky in iraq back in 08-09 doing route clearance, those are awesome vehicles. its my favorite out of our route clearance package but i will admit after 10+ hours in one it gets a little cramped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom