Tent, or hammock

Dalton gang

So my fam and i camped covict lake this last weekend and our tent is very nice and as big as my frigginn house. Im trying to slim down sise for easy off road camping. So im thinking 2 small tents . I have one for backpacking, the kids brought up hammocks, just wondering your thoughts on the best way to go.

Jk909

I did the hammock thing when I was single and things were simple lol but I don't think I'm going to try it with my baby until he's older. I used a hammock with the mosquito net and when it rains you can throw one of those cheap military ponchos over it. That combo always kept me happy

mcw*402

Went on a trip a few weeks ago and one in our group camped in a hammock....it was a pretty cool set up for just one person.....I've thought about going that route to save space

boostdtalon

I have a ENO double nest hammock for myself. Awesome why to go. I also have a tent with cots for the misses and children.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Family of 4. We started off with a "taj mahal" tent thinking that it would be nice to all be together. We have since moved to two small tents. Much better for a lot of reasons. For space reasons I'd like to get to hammock sleeping. But we are not there yet, nor do I know if it is even possible with one jeep and where we go (read: can't guarantee there will always be a place to hang 4 hammocks). We are seriously considering an off road trailer in the next year or so.

Subscribed to see what others think.

Jk909

Family of 4. We started off with a "taj mahal" tent thinking that it would be nice to all be together. We have since moved to two small tents. Much better for a lot of reasons. For space reasons I'd like to get to hammock sleeping. But we are not there yet, nor do I know if it is even possible with one jeep and where we go (read: can't guarantee there will always be a place to hang 4 hammocks). We are seriously considering an off road trailer in the next year or so.

Subscribed to see what others think.

Same here man. My family keeps growing and due to the lack of space in my two door a trailer seems to be the best option. Hammocks were awesome when I was single because they didn't take up any space

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is an additional vote for an off-road trailer when the family is going.

I borrowed one from a friend for memorial weekend. It towed great, was relatively painless to set up and take down, and gave me the ability to carry a bunch of wood, water, gas, and a full kitchen setup.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464967287.674660.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464967297.741375.jpg

stormtroopedjk

Here is an additional vote for an off-road trailer when the family is going.

I borrowed one from a friend for memorial weekend. It towed great, was relatively painless to set up and take down, and gave me the ability to carry a bunch of wood, water, gas, and a full kitchen setup.

View attachment 206444
View attachment 206445

Wow that's an awesome looking little trailer ! We're getting one built right now it should be done in about a month or so.

GraniteCrystal

Dalton gang

Thanks! Im building a trailer , and will go with the 2 tent set up . 4 people 2 small dogs it sounds like the way to go. Here is a pic of my project , i cant wait to take it out.

Attachments

• 1464997943177.jpg
    1464997943177.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 1464997966000.jpg
    1464997966000.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 191

Desertman

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466341414.321644.jpg This is what I am using at the moment. I also have a TCOP US army tent for more covert desert use. My jeep is a two door so I pack light and leave the canopy and wife at home.

TRLJNKY

Lol how I roll. Mom and I up top, 2 girls on a mattress in the back of the jeep and my two boys go old school tent camping on the ground with the dog. A big step back to the simple life from my Travel Trailer

Attachments

• 1466351226842.jpg
    1466351226842.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 150

HardRock87

Hammocks hands down. I love them for my back. A few years ago I was on a wooden roller coaster, and I have ridden that coaster several times, but on one sunny afternoon on one of the turns. I could feel a vertebrate move. :eek: As if you put 2 first stacked on top and moved the top fist almost 1 inch.:eek: Ever since I have had back problems. Doctors gave me the all clear. Nothing was torn, busted, or any damage at all. :clap2: To this day though I won't ride wooden coasters even though they are my favorite. :crybaby:

Harley74

Hammocks hands down. I love them for my back. A few years ago I was on a wooden roller coaster, and I have ridden that coaster several times, but on one sunny afternoon on one of the turns. I could feel a vertebrate move. :eek: As if you put 2 first stacked on top and moved the top fist almost 1 inch.:eek: Ever since I have had back problems. Doctors gave me the all clear. Nothing was torn, busted, or any damage at all. :clap2: To this day though I won't ride wooden coasters even though they are my favorite. :crybaby:

What kind of set up do you have? I just got 2 of the skeeter beeters. Hopefully my son and I will be camping in the hammocks real soon!When the wife and dogs go we use our tent and sleep on cots.
Feel you with the back issues!

HardRock87

What kind of set up do you have? I just got 2 of the skeeter beeters. Hopefully my son and I will be camping in the hammocks real soon!When the wife and dogs go we use our tent and sleep on cots.
Feel you with the back issues!

I don't really have a setup since I haven't been camping in a while, but I love hammocks. Hammocks to me will beat any tent and some form of a "bed" any day. I've seen some attach hammocks to their Jeeps and the other end to either a tree or a post that they put into the ground.

Harley74

I don't really have a setup since I haven't been camping in a while, but I love hammocks. Hammocks to me will beat any tent and some form of a "bed" any day. I've seen some attach hammocks to their Jeeps and the other end to either a tree or a post that they put into the ground.

My son camping at the lake Camp Ground.

Attachments

• 1466958046356.jpg
    1466958046356.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom