37" tire width... 12.5 or 13.5?

37" tire width... 12.5 or 13.5?

I couldnt find a convo about this anywhere so id like to hear your thoughts, opinions and reasoning as to why you would prefer one over the other.

Edit: let me add that they would probably be going on a non-beadlock wheel with a width of 8.5-9". BS on those wheels looks to run between 4.25-4.5".

Last edited:

Moabbnd

After seeing 37x12.5r17 BFG mud terrains on a 17x9" wheel, I'd suggest 13.5s for that tall of a tire. The 12.5s are nice, but almost seem like pizza cutters

After seeing 37x12.5r17 BFG mud terrains on a 17x9" wheel, I'd suggest 13.5s for that tall of a tire. The 12.5s are nice, but almost seem like pizza cutters
I agree with you on the look. Wasnt sure if there were any big drawbacks to the 13.5, other than i may have some clearance issues while turning. Maybe not though...

Tumbleweed

I wanted the Toyo Open Country M/T in the 37 x 12.5 x 17 flavor. I really wanted this tire in the 12.5" width. Couldn't find that size anywhere. I ended up with the 13.5" width. I have had some serious rubbing issues with these tires on my ATX rims with 4.5" back spacing. I added a washer under the steering stop bolts. I also added Spidertrax 1/5" wheel spacers and still rub a bit. I wish I could have found the Toyos in 12.5" width.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the look. Wasnt sure if there were any big drawbacks to the 13.5, other than i may have some clearance issues while turning. Maybe not though...

i have 37x12.5.17 nitto trail grapplers on my 3.5" lift. i think they look great, but another inch would have looked really mean. i'm happy with them...that said, i do have some rubbing on my front sway bar at full turn. i may add spidertrax spacers, or i may just avoid full turning lol. if you go 13.5, you'll likely have to add spacers.

i have 37x12.5.17 nitto trail grapplers on my 3.5" lift. i think they look great, but another inch would have looked really mean. i'm happy with them...that said, i do have some rubbing on my front sway bar at full turn. i may add spidertrax spacers, or i may just avoid full turning lol. if you go 13.5, you'll likely have to add spacers.
I really want to lose the spacers. I have them on my factory wheels now with 35x12.5 tire and slight rub my lcas sometimes at full turn. If 37x13.5 is going to be a huge issue with 4.25 bs, then ill just go 37x12.5...

I really want to lose the spacers. I have them on my factory wheels now with 35x12.5 tire and slight rub my lcas sometimes at full turn. If 37x13.5 is going to be a huge issue with 4.25 bs, then ill just go 37x12.5...

yea, if you don't want to use spacers then 12.5 might be the way to go. but i agree man, 13.5 width looks really badass.

RockyJk

I had 13.5 Toyo's on my 4 door and it didn't rub, the wheels had 4.5 backspacing

Peak

I was considering going with 13.5's but the weight on the mud grapplers and Toyo muds jumps up quite a bit.

swampdog

So a friend of mine just got the 37x13.5 Coopers and I must say I will be going with a 13.5" when I upgrade. The stance is much more fitting of the taller tire and an extra inch of contact patch per wheel never hurts.

So a friend of mine just got the 37x13.5 Coopers and I must say I will be going with a 13.5" when I upgrade. The stance is much more fitting of the taller tire and an extra inch of contact patch per wheel never hurts.

I do think the wider tire looks a bit better, but if i wont be able to turn, im fine with the 12.50.

MOOK

There are many factors to consider with any size 37 when it comes to rubbing, as others have mentioned. Other factors are your lift height and what control arms you use, also wheel width can determine things. For instance a 17x10 wheel with 4.5 backspace is equivalent to a 17x9 wheel with 3.5 backspace. Track bar alignment is important as can cause rubbing on one side but not the other.

MOOK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464977166.389101.jpg this is with about 2.5in of lift, slabs with toyo 37x1350. Stock arms and on full turn would slightly kiss the frame and control arm. Steering stop adjustment with about a half inch more lift would of solved it but I lived with it

Top Bottom