Jeep TJ lift kit and tire clearance

spencerd45

Hello everyone,

A close friend of mine just purchased a 3.5 in lift kit for his tj 4cylinder. Jeep is very light with soft top and half doors. He is planning to run Nitto Trail Grappler 295/70 R17 (about 33.5 actual size). He is going to be using 17in stock jk rims with a 1.5 in adapter/spacer. (I believe they are 7.5 wide with 5.75 BS)

We will be doing the install next week and was curios: Will he have any issues with rubbing on control arms or any other clearance issues? Will the lift kit be enough to run the new tires?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Spencer

JPLJC Wanderer

I'm currently running 2.5" suspension and a 1" body of my '05 with 35's and don't have any problems ... Although I am running flat fenders so I'm guessing that helps too [emoji1] ... I think he'll be fine !!

Scrambler

I'm running 33x10.5 on the stock TJ Wheels with no spacers and I only get rub at full lock. Granted, this is street driving and it hasn't been offroad since I have owned it, so can't comment on clearance issues in that situation. If I were to make an educated guess, though, I'd say you would have more than enough clearance for that tire and wheel combo with that much lift.

ob_tj

He should be fine. I'm running a 4 inch with 33x12.50s and I have more than enough clearance. At full turn I don't rub on anything. Only time I rub is when I'm at full flex.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have a 3 in. suspension and 1 in. body lift with 33 12.50 on my TJ and never had any issues with rubbing.

Moabbnd

With 1.5" adapters, there may be some rubbing, but not terrible. I ran 315/70r17 BFG ATs on a 2.5" suspension and 1.25" body lift with JK moabs and 1.5" adapters on my previous 97 TJ with the 4cyl 5spd. I would rather run 2" adapters to alleviate the rubbing IMO, but those are hard to find in a hub centric version. JK Moabs run 6.25" backspacing

Moabbnd

Will the 4 banger be able to go anywhere without gearing changes?

It'll be slow. 4.88s are recommended for 33s, so 4.10s aren't great. It'll hold 65 on the highway at lower elevation and no headwind. 35s, forget keeping up with traffic

ob_tj

It'll be slow. 4.88s are recommended for 33s, so 4.10s aren't great. It'll hold 65 on the highway at lower elevation and no headwind. 35s, forget keeping up with traffic

A buddy of mine has a 4 cylinder tj on 33s with 4.10s and he has a hard time getting it up over 60!

Top Bottom