Ultimate Dana 60 wheels/flare options

toshigav

Hi folks.
Looking at purchasing the new Ultimate Dana 60 axles here in Australia for my CRD JK UNLIMITED 6speed.
Reasons vary as I know the reputation that Dynatrac has but.......
Here in Australia we do not have some of the less relaxed laws that you appear to have in the states.
If I run an aftermarket axle I need to have permission to do so an in my case it needs to be engineered.
Reason for the Ultimate Dana 60 is that since it is Mopar it is considered factory here and requires no paperwork.
A smart fellow here has had them engineered and I can also increase my load carrying from 2300kg to 3500kg important when towing a caravan.
Now my problem.
I would like advice on width.
It is my understanding that the UD60 is 69 inches wide - some 5 inches wider than stock.
I HAVE to have my tyres in side the fenders.
I have an option to fit the PS extra wide flares at 2 inches wider than stock.
I need wheels at the right stud pattern but the right offset to fit under the fenders.
37*12.5 tyres NITTO trail grapplers.
Your advice appreciated greatly as (if I go with the UD60) only one other vehicle here is being done and they are 3600klm from me.

Thanks heaps.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Mate don't know where you're getting your advice from but the UD60s were never fitted by Chrysler Australia so the engineering process is the same whether you go UD60, dynatrac or even super duty. Also is that GVM increase state level? As I'm not aware of anyone that's got the approval at a federal level.

toshigav

Mate don't know where you're getting your advice from but the UD60s were never fitted by Chrysler Australia so the engineering process is the same whether you go UD60, dynatrac or even super duty. Also is that GVM increase state level? As I'm not aware of anyone that's got the approval at a federal level.

Information came from transport dept here in the territory.
No engineering required for these only for the other brands.
All I have to do is make sure wheel track is good and inside the flared guards.
The engineering for the increased rating is done and comes with the axles.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Information came from transport dept here in the territory.
No engineering required for these only for the other brands.
All I have to do is make sure wheel track is good and inside the flared guards.
The engineering for the increased rating is done and comes with the axles.

Must be different in the Territory cause it ain't that way in Queensland. The engineering required for the bolt ins is pretty minor though.

What did they quote for the axles? The Dana rep told me retail was $21k for the set!

toshigav

Must be different in the Territory cause it ain't that way in Queensland. The engineering required for the bolt ins is pretty minor though.

What did they quote for the axles? The Dana rep told me retail was $21k for the set!

mate.
Ring them again.
They will do better than that.
I have read that they do not warrant these in the sates but of course they have to here by law.
The Territory have reasonably
Axed laws here.
You make application.
Tell them what you want.
A panel sits and says yes or no or what more you need to do.
If it has been done before anywhere in Australia then almost a guarantee. The extra towing is a bonus.
I am in the very beginning of this have made no decisions as yet.
Simply cannot afford $20,000 for a D44 front and D60 rear.
I have a CRD so no big horsepower just thinking if I can get D60 front and rear cheaper than D44 front and D60 rear combo - why not.
I know the best way f the best is Dynatrac - no argument here.
Low horse power, small 37" tyres will not see any danger at all in damaging these.
D60' are overkill but when they are cheaper than a 44/60 combo plus the plug and play blush big brakes seems a good option for me.
The extra wide track may be my only enemy hence looking for advice on wheels and offset to fit under the PS extra wide flares

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've no plans on getting them just happened to see them at a trade show so asked for a price. I got the impression they could do a lot better.

toshigav

I've no plans on getting them just happened to see them at a trade show so asked for a price. I got the impression they could do a lot better.

Not sure how long ago that was.
I have been told (only hear say) that they bought heaps into the country and have sold very few.
I am hoping that is not due to the difficulty in getting them to fit I.e wheels, track, flared etc.
Looking at walker Evans 17*8.5 with 5 3/4 back space.
Would these work and remain under the fenders as previously mentions?

Last edited:

dunstan74

Just throwing an idea around, how about looking into having some custom fenders made up?

Hell you could even go as far as the make them quick disconnect ,solving coverage issues onroad and still letting you take avantage of having exposed tyres offroad.

I have no idea the cost of something like that but i think its a pretty cool idea.

Ausjeep113

If you want a lighter and more flexible option on flares you could go with the double black offroad flat flares mate I run them on mine and are awesome!! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465247238.262727.jpg they'll only give the same coverage as the poison Spyder ones but could be worth an idea or just go with custom ones.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
They aren't the best looking flare out there, but Mopar Performance has a set of highline type wide fenders for the JK. Dynatrac has a set on their Jeep. In the pics I posted below, you can see the width of the flare and the amount of tire coverage it gives. The XD60 axles in it are likely the standard 68.5" wide. Looks like it has Trail ready beadlocks, not sure of the backspacing.

IMG_4653.jpg IMG_4782.jpg IMG_4823.jpg IMG_4923.jpg IMG_5087.jpg

toshigav

Highoctane.
Thanks for the reply.
Looks like the fenders do cover the tyres fairly well.
And if as you say the axle in that jeep is 68.5 then there is hope that I can cover my tyres being 12.5 inch wide.
Will look up the flares and see what width they are.
If they are within the specs of the PS then all is good.
Can't use those particular ones due to my AEV snorkel fitted.
I do like the look of them though as I like the std style also.
Just need some back spacing.
Thinking walker Evans as they have 5 3/4 back space.
A fellow here in Aus said a +30 or +35 would be the go but I do not know what that would be in back spacing.

toshigav

I just had a thought.
I know the axle is 69" wide but I assume this is the widest points either side (yes a dumb statement) I.e the outer hub.
Or
Is it the measurement from where the wheels mount.
What I don't know is the total width wheel mount to wheel mount - outer part of the disc where wheel bolts on.
Obviously if this is the same and or similar then I have little or no issue.
Waiting on a call back from Dana Australia.
Will post the result for information to those looking at these as an option especially here in Australia.

Last edited:

dunstan74

Im pretty sure the 69" messurment is wheel mounting surface.

It would be great if you could post any info dana aus gives you especially a price point.

toshigav

I just had a thought.
I know the axle is 69" wide but I assume this is the widest points either side (yes a dumb statement) I.e the outer hub.
Or
Is it the measurement from where the wheels mount.
What I don't know is the total width wheel mount to wheel mount - outer part of the disc where wheel bolts on.
Obviously if this is the same and or similar then I have little or no issue.
Waiting on a call back from Dana Australia.
Will post the result for information to those looking at these as an option especially here in Australia.

Ok.
Measurement from the outer part of the disc to either side is 64".
The extra part on disc housing to where the wheel mounts is 2.5" multiply buy both sides is 5" + the 64" is a total of 69".
This means that if measured from the inside of the wheels where they butt up against the disc housing is 69".
My Dana 30 63.58" from the outer of the disc to outer of the disc or 1615mm.
The UD 60 is 1625mm.
I then have about 25mm per side before the wheels mounts giving a total of 1665mm or 65.5".
That equates to 3.5 inches in total.
Really it is the thickness of the disc where the wheel mounts that is the difference between the two.
This would mean that In theory if I was able to use my wheels with the +10 spacing then the outer part of the tyre would sit 1 & 3/4 wider Han it does now.
If the PS fenders are two inches wider then stock then I should have no issues.
anyone care to look over what I wrote and concur or disagree.
If not and my calculations are correct or at least close enough I have solved the problem myself.
Would have saved me making this post and any of you who might have read it some time.
:cheesy:

Ausjeep113

Ok.
Measurement from the outer part of the disc to either side is 64".
The extra part on disc housing to where the wheel mounts is 2.5" multiply buy both sides is 5" + the 64" is a total of 69".
This means that if measured from the inside of the wheels where they butt up against the disc housing is 69".
My Dana 30 63.58" from the outer of the disc to outer of the disc or 1615mm.
The UD 60 is 1625mm.
I then have about 25mm per side before the wheels mounts giving a total of 1665mm or 65.5".
That equates to 3.5 inches in total.
Really it is the thickness of the disc where the wheel mounts that is the difference between the two.
This would mean that In theory if I was able to use my wheels with the +10 spacing then the outer part of the tyre would sit 1 & 3/4 wider Han it does now.
If the PS fenders are two inches wider then stock then I should have no issues.
anyone care to look over what I wrote and concur or disagree.
If not and my calculations are correct or at least close enough I have solved the problem myself.
Would have saved me making this post and any of you who might have read it some time.
:cheesy:

Based on those numbers there if they are all correct it looks like you may have solved your problem. [emoji106]🏻

Hi folks.
Looking at purchasing the new Ultimate Dana 60 axles here in Australia for my CRD JK UNLIMITED 6speed.
Here in Australia we do not have some of the less relaxed laws that you appear to have in the states.
If I run an aftermarket axle I need to have permission to do so an in my case it needs to be engineered.
Reason for the Ultimate Dana 60 is that since it is Mopar it is considered factory here and requires no paperwork.
A smart fellow here has had them engineered and I can also increase my load carrying from 2300kg to 3500kg important when towing a caravan.
Now my problem.
It is my understanding that the UD60 is 69 inches wide - some 5 inches wider than stock.
I need wheels at the right stud pattern but the right offset to fit under the fenders.
Your advice appreciated greatly as (if I go with the UD60) only one other vehicle here is being done and they are 3600klm from me.

Thanks heaps.

Have you actually made the purchase yet? I'm in the process of contacting one of our Australian dealers and finding out more info on what you're saying.

Hi folks.
Now my problem.

Thanks heaps.

Give our dealer in Australia a call to verify or disprove all this.

Murchison Products
U85/86
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD 4500
Australia

toshigav

Have you actually made the purchase yet? I'm in the process of contacting one of our Australian dealers and finding out more info on what you're saying.

Hello.
Not yet made the purchase.
I have two problems.
1. Is time.
The Dana's are in stock read to go.
2. Is cost.
And yes I totally agree saving a little more for the best is the way to go.
But here in Aus we are not talking a little.
Even a teraflex eqivelant would cost $20,000 here.
I neither run the big tyres you guys run nor do I have the big HP.
A little 2.8 diesel and 37's.
So 60's are overkill?
Yes I agree.
But will be bullet proof for the driving we do here.

toshigav

Hi Dynatrac.
Do you do any of your Dana 60's with a factory 5 on 5" wheel pattern
Or.
Can a custom one be ordered.
Looking now at doing a Dana in the front and simply re gear the rear until more money can be saved.A wise man once said "just save a little longer and go for the best".
Love an XD in the front.
Gear ration is a problem for me.
Getting recommendations from 4:1 to 4:8's
CRD 6sp unlimited.
Currently sit on 1800rpm in 5th gear at 80kmh.
As you would know 5thi is direct drive do this is why I mentioned this gear.
6th at 100kmh is again at 1800rpm.
Currently run 35's but will upgrade to 37's when need replacing.
Happy to run 35's around town as no highway speeds.
Bare in mind that we can travel 10000km round trip here.
Thanks heaps for your advice.

Top Bottom