Obd2 Information options?

Pyro1415

Ladies, gents and all of you in the other's category.
I have a 5,000 mile road trip ahead of me this summer while towing a trailer and I was wondering if anyone had a good set up or a bad set up for engine/trans info.
I would like to know of any good Bluetooth obd2 reader with an iPhone app combos on the 2010 JKU (3.8 auto) I know of a few but since I'm 7,000 miles from my jeep and will only have a few days of prep I wanted to make sure I was in the clear and had something that works.
If torque or an app like that can't provide good information I'm willing to go the programmer route. I know the superchips trail dash 2 and bully dog gt have some good info but they also have bad reviews with the good. Plus maybe a tow tune will help.

Info needed Trans temp, engine coolant temp
Everything else is just a nice want.
I'll be hopefully pushing 5.13s on 37s with about 3,000 to 4,000 lbs behind me approximately 55mph outside of the mountains.

Rottenbelly

I used the torque app for years now.
On my 07 I had it set up to show trans temp and all that.
Used a cheap 24 dollar Bluetooth obd2 reader.
You have to create a wakeup in the editor to get trans temp.
Screen should look like this.... you have to enter the info

Then create the trans temp with these values.

That's gets you trans temp. This was one of my 4 screens of info with trans and coolant temps.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

That's gets you trans temp. This was one of my 4 screens of info with trans and coolant temps.

That's awesome. I'm so glad I don't have to spend $400 on a tuner that might brick my brick lol. Thanks for the info, guess I'll order the reader.

JKCRWLR

BIG shout out to Rottenbelly on this info. [emoji119]🏻

I have been frustrated with the fact that I couldn't get the trans temp to display in the Torque app on my Insane Audio deck.
I justified spending the coin on the deck by saving the money from not having to buy a Traildash or keeping my Flashpaq plugged in all the time.
Then comes along Rottenbelly! [emoji106]🏻

Created the pids per screenshots and after a few minutes it works!!

Thanks Rottenbelly, [emoji481] on me!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465308346.395076.jpg

Rottenbelly

That's awesome. I'm so glad I don't have to spend $400 on a tuner that might brick my brick lol. Thanks for the info, guess I'll order the reader.

BIG shout out to Rottenbelly on this info. [emoji119]

I have been frustrated with the fact that I couldn't get the trans temp to display in the Torque app on my Insane Audio deck.
I justified spending the coin on the deck by saving the money from not having to buy a Traildash or keeping my Flashpaq plugged in all the time.
Then comes along Rottenbelly! [emoji106]

Created the pids per screenshots and after a few minutes it works!!

Thanks Rottenbelly, [emoji481] on me!

View attachment 207161

Your welcome guys. :thumb:

JKCRWLR

Your welcome guys. :thumb:

Would you mind if I shared the info on Insane Audio's forum? I'll give you full credit.
Also, have you verified accuracy of the trans temp readings? The output in the Tourque app was displaying a little higher than expected so I think I will verify with another source to be sure.

Thanks again!

Wayne

Rottenbelly

Would you mind if I shared the info on Insane Audio's forum? I'll give you full credit.
Also, have you verified accuracy of the trans temp readings? The output in the Tourque app was displaying a little higher than expected so I think I will verify with another source to be sure.

Thanks again!

Wayne
I never verified the temp to be accurate, but I do know it was consistent on my jeep. Going up the mtns out here I would run 205-207 everytime.
I did a few test running in 4 hi and getting the temp up and then dropping to 4 lo and watching the temp go down.
I don't mind you sharing it. I can't take all the credit, someone showed me that info years ago when I lived in Mississippi but I can't remember who it was.

I do know the coolant temp is accurate. My fan would kick on and off at the same temps everytime.

Last edited:

Peak

I'd consider a Trans cooler since you will probably be pushing high RPM while towing

Frydaddy

This is great! I was just about to say that Torque would show my coolant temp tracking with my Trans, But the PID changes everything. I've been so afraid to mess with programming PIDs, are there any other codes that might be useful?

Rottenbelly

This is great! I was just about to say that Torque would show my coolant temp tracking with my Trans, But the PID changes everything. I've been so afraid to mess with programming PIDs, are there any other codes that might be useful?

I don't think this works on 12 + yet either. I have a manual 15 so I have no way to test.
I believe if you run this on the 12+ it just tracks off coolant temp but I'm not sure.

Frydaddy

Ok, I just got a Bluetooth OBD module, the two temps were tracking from the beginning. I'll have to try this PID tonight.

Frydaddy

I must be doing something wrong with setting up the PIDs. What am I supposed to do with the wakeup PID? It just creates two gauges?

JKCRWLR

I must be doing something wrong with setting up the PIDs. What am I supposed to do with the wakeup PID? It just creates two gauges?

Yes, the wakeup pid needs to be a gauge on the screen. It won't show any information, it just wakes the pid for the trans temp.
I followed all the instructions but didn't create the gauge and couldn't figure why it wasn't working. Now works great!

Frydaddy

Dang, I guess I don't have a trans sensor then, I didn't see the wakeup gauge refresh light at all.

Pyro1415

I'd consider a Trans cooler since you will probably be pushing high RPM while towing

I plan on ordering the Ripp Trans cooler,($110) just waiting for a sales department to email me back on a few question in regards to parts numbers not matching.
Will also change my antifreeze ratio for the drive to help with cooling at elevation, while that 3.8 is at 4K plus rpms for a week lol.

Pyro1415

Does anyone have a recommended iPhone app that gives Trans temp? Will torque work with a tablet(no internet or gps)?

JeepDrum

Does anyone have a recommended iPhone app that gives Trans temp? Will torque work with a tablet(no internet or gps)?

I don't know about an iPhone equivalent, but torque will definitely work with a tablet. I'm assuming most or all of the tablets these days probably have Bluetooth to connect to the OBD2 scanner. If it didn't though, there are scanners that use a direct wifi connection so you could use one of those types if the tablet doesn't have Bluetooth for some reason.

Frydaddy

I don't know about an iPhone equivalent, but torque will definitely work with a tablet. I'm assuming most or all of the tablets these days probably have Bluetooth to connect to the OBD2 scanner. If it didn't though, there are scanners that use a direct wifi connection so you could use one of those types if the tablet doesn't have Bluetooth for some reason.

If it is at all possible, Avoid the OBD2 devices with WiFi. When your phone/tablet is connected, it loses wifi connection to your router. So if youre in your garage, you cannot be on the internet and connected to your vehicle at the same time. Thats why i picked the bluetooth one. When it sits at the house, it automatically updates everything.

Top Bottom