Stalling on obstacles

Slimebones

This is one for you manual transmission guys. Sometimes when attempting very steep obstacles when I lose all traction, the engine will stall. When this happens of course I lose the power braking and steering. At that point i need to restart engine, but have one foot on the brake pedal and other foot depressing clutch. (another foot would be helpful here for accelerator) I can see the advantage of automatic here and see how stall could have been avoided in the first place with one foot on gas and other on brake. Anyway, the thought occured to me that I might be able to avoid the stall with my manual transmission if I could also control the throttle and use my feet on the clutch and brake. I could connect a throttle cable with lever to my shift lever for example to control the throttle with my hand, in this type situation. Anyone have any experience or advise on such a setup?

swampdog

This is one for you manual transmission guys. Sometimes when attempting very steep obstacles when I lose all traction, the engine will stall. When this happens of course I lose the power braking and steering. At that point i need to restart engine, but have one foot on the brake pedal and other foot depressing clutch. (another foot would be helpful here for accelerator) I can see the advantage of automatic here and see how stall could have been avoided in the first place with one foot on gas and other on brake. Anyway, the thought occured to me that I might be able to avoid the stall with my manual transmission if I could also control the throttle and use my feet on the clutch and brake. I could connect a throttle cable with lever to my shift lever for example to control the throttle with my hand, in this type situation. Anyone have any experience or advise on such a setup?

There is no way I would do this. With my manual, as long as I am in 4-Lo, it won't stall in 1st gear, even on a steep object. I just let the clutch out and it crawls.

Kyle7R

There is no way I would do this. With my manual, as long as I am in 4-Lo, it won't stall in 1st gear, even on a steep object. I just let the clutch out and it crawls.

This x2. Even in 4hi I can crawl without throttle over some obstacles, 4lo I'm pretty sure would climb up a brick wall without any throttle.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That sounds like a lot of work when you can just use the e-brake to hold the Jeep while you apply gas. Keep the button pressed while you ease off of the clutch and into the gas, slowly lowering the e-brake as you feel the Jeep going forward.

Also, the brakes are supposed to hold for 3-5 seconds when in 4Low. And, when in 4Low you can start the Jeep without pushing in the clutch in 1st gear. I dont remember if it is every model or just the Rubicons.

swampdog

That sounds like a lot of work when you can just use the e-brake to hold the Jeep while you apply gas. Keep the button pressed while you ease off of the clutch and into the gas, slowly lowering the e-brake as you feel the Jeep going forward.

Also, the brakes are supposed to hold for 3-5 seconds when in 4Low. And, when in 4Low you can start the Jeep without pushing in the clutch in 1st gear. I dont remember if it is every model or just the Rubicons.

The E-brake is great advice. And the clutchless start capability is on all models in 4L

Scrambler

Here is a write up Eddie did for a TJ hand throttle. http://www.4x4xplor.com/handthrottle.html

I believe this is what you are talking about wanting to do. Not sure how practical it would be on a JK, though.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

^^^^This right here. You should be in 4 low on a steep obstacle and don't use the clutch. If you stall just crank it without using the clutch. If you have a rubicon it should hold the brake for a few seconds. I'm not sure if other models have the auto brake feature or not.

Otherwise just learn how to get up big obstacles and you'll be fine. I've had my manual on some big stuff and never used the ebrake or anything else. Just learned how to drive it properly. The Jeep has everything you need except technique. [emoji106]🏻there's nothing wrong with stalling aside from dinging your ego.

JoeB-JKURX

Me three on crawling without the clutch. When I first started wheeling my Jeep ('14 UR), I would get all aggressive with the throttle and clutch (and my friends would be saying under their breath "I smell clutch"). After a couple of trips like that and feeling pretty frustrated, I decided on one particularly intimidating obstacle to just let it crawl (keep your damn foot off the clutch). I was amazed at how well it did. I've since had a lot of success with that (even with 35s and stock 4.10 gearing). I do plan to go to 37s as soon as these wear but in addition to going to 4.88, was also thinking about a Centerforce clutch with the heavy flywheel. I understand from some folks I've spoken to that the heavy flywheel will keep the engine from stalling even when the RPMs drop to the 400 range.

JeepJeep75

I'm not sure about the TJ's, but the newer jeeps are all drive by wire. There is no throttle cable to manipulate or add to the gear shifter. You could, if you're the McGuiver type, add a throttle pedal assembly to the gear shifter with some sort of switch to change between foot and hand control. This would be very clunky looking and not very practical. Plus, it would be like learning to drive a manual all over again using your hand and foot in perfect unison to not stall. As others have said, it's all about technique. Use a lower gear, not the clutch to get over obstacles.

Grubbicon

My Juggy is a manual. When Im in tight spots or taking off on something steep I heel toe the gas and brake. With my toes on the brake and my heel on the gas I can get the tires spitting before I even get rid of the brake all together. If for some reason you do stall on the a hill and dont have the brakes let go of the clutch.

EDIT: Ive also had an old YJ that was carb that I had a hand throttle on. Never really used it to take off but since it was carb it was nice to be able to idle it up higher so it wouldnt starve for fuel as easy.

Slimebones

Great advise, I will definitely apply the recommended techniques. I am really impressed with the capabilities of these vehicles. Does anyone have the Superchips flashpaq and use the "crawl mode" and recommend it?

Grubbicon

Great advise, I will definitely apply the recommended techniques. I am really impressed with the capabilities of these vehicles. Does anyone have the Superchips flashpaq and use the "crawl mode" and recommend it?

Not sure how it is with a manual but I tried it once in my auto. For my driving style it slowed down the throttle response to a point where it drove me crazy and put it back fairly fast.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Don't be a clutch cowboy, stay off the clutch as much as possible, IF you stall start it in gear without clutch and throttle up a little as it gets rolling. No clutch start is a cool trick, but don't make a habit of it as it is hard on the starter.

crowrb29

Use your hand brake if you need it.

Slowly feed the throttle if the engine starts slowing down. It usually doesn't take much. Also don't be embarrassed if you do stall. It's part of the learning process. It's better than smoking the clutch.

It turns into a really big ordeal if your clutch gets fried in the middle of the trail.

Top Bottom