Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool brands

Tool brands

I'm looking into building and getting my tools in order. I pretty much have all the basics but have to get to my dad's tools to finish any work I have to do on my Jeep. He has spent over 50k on tools and has the top brands as he has his own garage and I don't plan on spending anything near that. But with whats out there and affordable what are some good brands I should buy from? I have a bunch of craftsman stuff already and don't know if there is any other brands I should buy from.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Craftsman is no longer made in USA, so I've been buying Kobalt from Lowe's. They seem well made. I'm really glad I bought a set of 1/2" drive from there.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2nd kobalt. Really well made and a legit hassle free warranty.

Same. Kobalt is what Ive been replacing my Craftsman with

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465780427.384614.jpg

I've also bought some random specialty wrenches from Amazon, to change my transfer case.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

I've got a handful of different brands of stuff. I don't mind spending more on stuff that will be used more often. Beyond that, I'm just a driveway mechanic that will be using most tools infrequently. I've got a 100+ piece craftsman mechanics toolset that's gotten the most use over the years. I've broken the ratchet a handful of times and gotten it replaced for free at Sears. I've had no problems with Tekton hand tools from Amazon lately as well. Their impact sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers do exactly what they're supposed to do. Beyond that, I like Milwaukee powered tools and also have a few from Craftsman and Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight.

Buy what suites your fancy and what you can afford.
    The build of "Equinso-Ocha", aka White Devil:
    http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...White-Devil%29

Been Around the Block jtpedersen's Avatar
    Same here, I've been migrating to Lowe's Kobalt brand. I've a mix of Craftsman, Husky, Snap-On, S&K accumulated over the years. Decided over the next year I'm going to completely refresh the tool drawer. Life's a lot easier with one brand, whatever it is, and you know right where to look to see what size something is, or the like.

Kobalt caught my eye ~3 years ago. It might be 'nice' to have a full set of Snap-On or S&K, but I cannot say I've felt the least bit disappointed with Kobalt. Seems like really good bang for the buck. Certainly true for all the core tools. Specialty stuff you'll still need to look elsewhere it seems.

I also use Kobalt torque wrenches & so far they've been fine.

My tools range from Harbor Freight through Snap-On. Even some random auto parts store stuff. Depends on what the tool is for. I'll be more likely to spend money on certain tools as opposed to others depending on what I'll use them for. I've had good luck with HF sockets, but not their wrenches.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Invest in something you'll keep forever and won't ever have to worry about.
    If you are going to buy a single company's hardline list of tools I'd look no further than Snap On.

After my snappy fanboy response is out of the way....

Carlyle is good stuff. And easy to find or return if something breaks at your local Napa.

Williams. Another good one. (Owned by Snap On) some say it's just rebranded snap on with a way better price tag.

S-K. Used to be known for great stuff. They went down hill, filed for bankruptcy and some big guys bought the brand. They are back to making good stuff. I have a torx bit set that I like.

Stay away from harbor freight. I don't care what people say on the internet about their sockets and wrenches. They are shit.
    en hopup veritas

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast