Jmayps' 2013 2dr JK Build of GEMINI

jmayps

Decided it was time to go ahead and start a build thread for my 2013 black JK Sport that my wife and I have named "GEMINI." I bought the JK in 2014 after my old F-150 died. Had the opportunity to go ahead and get my dream vehicle and decided it was time. Good thing it was love at first sight, because my F-150 actually died at the dealership....so it was either drive the JK home or get a cab.

Anyways, this will be a long and slow build, but I'm excited to see where it goes as well as hopefully receive some advice from experienced Wayalifers!

IMG_0690.jpg
This is what she looked like the day we got her. A little has changed since then and I will go ahead and recap on what has been added.

jmayps

I recently moved out to Southern Pines, NC and had added a few more modifications to GEMINI. First order of business was a 2.5" TF BB as well as rubicon shocks and JKU coils and a new set of 285/75r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on level 8 trackers.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857343.969685.jpg

Once the BB, JKUR takeoffs were added, the next upgrade was a fender trim and to add GEMINI decals on the hood. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857537.550460.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857485.500566.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857502.083877.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857579.319587.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857595.034083.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465857721.799622.jpg

This past week I also added the EVO hi-lift mount, some RC flood lights on the windshield, and the Dynomax Evolution competition exhaust. Will add more pictures soon.

jmayps

Just got back from a trip to Emerald Island, NC. Finally got my decals in the mail! Installed them today and also got a shot of the RC LED fog lights I installed last week. Lowered them as much as possible or buy still shining up into the trees. Will have to figure out how to get them to shine lower.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466365749.791074.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466365786.640163.jpg

And here's a shot of the EVO rear d-ring mounts and the hi-lift mount.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466365833.624443.jpg

jmayps

Finally sold the Smittybilt Rock rails and winch and am starting to save up for my next few upgrades: regear to 4:98, rear locker, EVO 3" enforcer, and EVO Rock sliders.

Question about locking only the rear...how much more improvement will I see when using it off road vs having a front locker (not going to get a front locker until I upgrade the front axle)? If anybody has had or still has just a rear locker how beneficial was it and what did it cost to install along with regearing?

Lank

I can't speak towards what kind of improvements you'd see but..

As far as install price goes, normally shops won't charge extra labor because they already have to pull the carrier in order to do the gear swap. However, depending on the kind of locker you get, you might have to also run air/electric lines

Rear locker will help a ton with off road performance. Pricing all depends on what kind of locker you go with. I recommend regearing and adding an ARB rear locker at the the same time. Regearing will cost around $1800 I believe. Then add arb to the front whenever you get your new axle.

jmayps

Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking about running an ARB air locker once I have the funds. Seems like most of you guys are running the compressor under the hood vs under the seat. Any reason why one location is better than the other? Also in guessing you need the dual compressor to run front/rear lockers and use it for oba

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the responses! I'm thinking about running an ARB air locker once I have the funds. Seems like most of you guys are running the compressor under the hood vs under the seat. Any reason why one location is better than the other? Also in guessing you need the dual compressor to run front/rear lockers and use it for oba

You don't need the dual compressor for air lockers. As far location, inside will save under hood space and keep the inlet air cleaner but will be noisier. Regardless of noise, with lockers the compressor only comes on for a second or two. With all that being said, the ARB twin is still a badass machine.

bthomas

Mines under hood, I don't remember seeing to many other options when I got mine. Do the under seat mounts work with seats in a 2 door? The larger single compressor (CKMA12) works for locker engagement and OBA source. The smaller single is for locker engagement only. I have no experience with the big twin, I'm sure it's a sweet set up though.

jmayps

Awesome that's good to know that I can use either compressor for lockers. Right now I'm trying to decide which spot. Don't want a compressor dying because it was exposed to engine heat and dust, but also don't want to risk getting one under my seat wet... Bc this has happened to me (I got a little too confident)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472817402.750235.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472817429.182840.jpg

swampdog

Finally sold the Smittybilt Rock rails and winch and am starting to save up for my next few upgrades: regear to 4:98, rear locker, EVO 3" enforcer, and EVO Rock sliders.

Question about locking only the rear...how much more improvement will I see when using it off road vs having a front locker (not going to get a front locker until I upgrade the front axle)? If anybody has had or still has just a rear locker how beneficial was it and what did it cost to install along with regearing?

I got my JKU regeared from 3.21 to 4.88 and had an ARB locker installed in the rear (35 Spline) at the same time. The work was done by Jody Treadway at Carolina Axle in Asheville, NC. He did flawless work and regeared both axles and installed new rear shafts, seals, and the locker for $500 in labor. Screaming deal. His work was flawless and he is a great guy as well. I have referred multiple other WAL members to him all with great results as well. As you are in NC, this is probably your best bet for an awesome price. Also, East Coast Gear Supply is in Raleigh and they would probably do a great job as well, but maybe not for as cheap.

The locker is the rear has been a game changer for ease of crawling on the trail and has lead to less wear and tear on the vehicle as I'm not having to hard bump as many ledges. All in all, great investment.

I went with the ARB Twin compressor and can air up my 35s on beadlocks from 8psi to 27psi is roughly 90 seconds each. I couldn't be happier with the compressor.

Top Bottom