Relocating winch control box

cmireles

Has anyone relocated there winch control boxes to under the hood somewhere? If so, did you make up something on your own or did you buy some sort of kit? I currently have mine mounted on the M8000 in the standard position and I don't like it because it makes contact with the bottom of the grill.

swampdog

The EVO 1/4 pounder comes with a spacer plate that mounts between the bumper and the frame horn that slides the bumper out about 1/4" which is enough that it doesn't rub. Maybe you can look into a spacer plate to slide the bumper forward just a bit?

WJCO

Meme King
Has anyone relocated there winch control boxes to under the hood somewhere? If so, did you make up something on your own or did you buy some sort of kit? I currently have mine mounted on the M8000 in the standard position and I don't like it because it makes contact with the bottom of the grill.

I don't know of anyone on here that did it, but Warn did it in this video with a Zeon. I assume for M8000, they will have a relocation kit with longer wiring :idontknow: or you can just get longer wiring and do a custom setup. In this video, you can see how Warn did it with a Zeon. But the Zeon has an available wiring kit from Warn that is available.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Any other reason you want to move it outside of it making contact with the grill?

cmireles

The EVO 1/4 pounder comes with a spacer plate that mounts between the bumper and the frame horn that slides the bumper out about 1/4" which is enough that it doesn't rub. Maybe you can look into a spacer plate to slide the bumper forward just a bit?

This would be a good idea but my home made bumper setup includes a winch plate welded directly to the frame.

I don't know of anyone on here that did it, but Warn did it in this video with a Zeon. I assume for M8000, they will have a relocation kit with longer wiring :idontknow: or you can just get longer wiring and do a custom setup. In this video, you can see how Warn did it with a Zeon. But the Zeon has an available wiring kit from Warn that is available.

Yeah I did see the kit for the zeon. I wish they made one for all of their winches with separate control boxes. I'm thinking maybe just extended cables and a fabbed mount.

Any other reason you want to move it outside of it making contact with the grill?

Other than contact and not being able to completely cover my winch with my cover, not really. Maybe to look a little sleeker.

JKbrick

Considered moving the control box on my Warn basically for looks but to keep it out of the weather also. Then I looked at possible mounting positions under the hood that would be easy to get to the plug still and finally decided it was not worth my time. Could not find a spot I was happy with

WJCO

Meme King
Post some pics of what you got going on. Maybe we can figure something custom out. But yes, I'm sure you could use some bulk cable and re-locate the box somehow. I just did a Google image search and it has been done.

cmireles

Post some pics of what you got going on. Maybe we can figure something custom out. But yes, I'm sure you could use some bulk cable and re-locate the box somehow. I just did a Google image search and it has been done.

I'll get some pics up early this weekend when I don't have work and it dries up outside [emoji106]🏻

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It's hard for me to tell from the picture. What's going on there?

Sorry old bad photos. Need to get some new ones but I took the plug off a control box and made a new bracket so that it sits in the bottom of the centre grille slot which is the first photo. The solenoid pack is just mounted on a bracket behind the winch.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466120874.679755.jpg
Here's a better shot of the plug in the grille. You can't really see the rest of it without removing the grille

cmireles

Here are 2 shots of the setup. The bumper consists of a slab of 1/4 inch steel bent for 1 inch of overlay at the top and 2 on bottom. I reused the factory tow hooks until such time I can buy D ring mounts. The bumper is spaced out 1 inch from the frame, and the winch plate was placed as far forward as it could go.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466296057.144290.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466296082.367123.jpg

Don't mind the rust on the bumper, I did a horrible paint job.

WJCO

Meme King
If it were mine I would see if you could grind out the control box holes and slide the box forward and refasten.

cmireles

Old(ish) thread revival. Ended up taking WJCO's advice, grinder out the holes and slid it forward a bit. Worked great, thanks to everyone for the tips [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Cool. Glad it worked. Thanks for posting the fix. It may help someone else that has a similar setup.

Top Bottom