Dana Spicer Driveshafts

steve_r2

Can anyone please give their thoughts on Dana Spicer driveshafts.
I need to replace my front shaft. I know people recommend J E Reel and Coast but both are very difficult to get here and would cost a arm and a leg to get.
Quadratec will ship the Dana Spicer shaft at a reasonable cost but I would like to know if they are worth it or have to bite the bullet and save for one of the above.
Cheers

steve_r2

I asked the same question a couple weeks back and this is what the thread I started came up with

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=37231

Thanks Wethy.....interesting thread from above. Dana shafts "seem" to have positive views.
I am in the same situation as you as my Jeep is my DD and I will not be running anything higher than 35's. Plus my wheeling is in the dunes here so doesn't take the beating that a lot of the guys have on rocks.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Can anyone please give their thoughts on Dana Spicer driveshafts.
I need to replace my front shaft. I know people recommend J E Reel and Coast but both are very difficult to get here and would cost a arm and a leg to get.
Quadratec will ship the Dana Spicer shaft at a reasonable cost but I would like to know if they are worth it or have to bite the bullet and save for one of the above.
Cheers

Have you considered having one made locally? Probably work out a lot cheaper

steve_r2

Have you considered having one made locally? Probably work out a lot cheaper

2nd...... I have considered it but have not found anyone as yet. Even then I would have to a 1000% sure it would be suitable as a lot of work done here is questionable at the best. Not a risk I wish to take .

DKjeep

What about just getting the high angle rzeppa replacement joint from teraflex for $150? What exactly is wrong with yours now?

WJCO

Meme King
What about just getting the high angle rzeppa replacement joint from teraflex for $150? What exactly is wrong with yours now?

Don't know of anyone who has run that yet personally, but I don't see how a joint failure would be avoided there regardless. Jeeps that have been run with Rpezza joints for years usually have a failure at that joint once the vehicle is lifted. I don't see how any manufacturer has found a way around that.

DKjeep

Don't know of anyone who has run that yet personally, but I don't see how a joint failure would be avoided there regardless. Jeeps that have been run with Rpezza joints for years usually have a failure at that joint once the vehicle is lifted. I don't see how any manufacturer has found a way around that.

It's the boot that fails. I'm definitely not all knowing but I have not heard of the joint itself failing unless it was due to the boot being ripped and it losing all the grease causing the joint to fail. The joint I mentioned is nothing better than the stock joint which itself is stronger get than any 1310 joint. It's the boot and boot housing that comes with it that allows for a far greater articulation without pinching the boot causing it to fail. There are other short comings of the stock shaft for sure but it's far less finicky of a setup as far as caster / driveshaft angle is concerned and it has zero maintenance which some 1310 shafts seem to come with not to mention the assorted vibration problems.

WJCO

Meme King
It's the boot that fails. I'm definitely not all knowing but I have not heard of the joint itself failing unless it was due to the boot being ripped and it losing all the grease causing the joint to fail. The joint I mentioned is nothing better than the stock joint which itself is stronger get than any 1310 joint. It's the boot and boot housing that comes with it that allows for a far greater articulation without pinching the boot causing it to fail. There are other short comings of the stock shaft for sure but it's far less finicky of a setup as far as caster / driveshaft angle is concerned and it has zero maintenance which some 1310 shafts seem to come with not to mention the assorted vibration problems.

Are you talking front or rear shaft? Regardless of the boot, The front Rzeppa joint is at too steep of an angle after a lift. Thus causing the joint to wear out prematurely. The DC ujoint shafts can handle the steeper angles better. I have looked at the TF Rzeppa joint and it still makes no sense to me how that product would eliminate the issue of the drive line angle. But then again, like I said, I have not seen anyone who as actually used it yet.

EDIT: I think the boot you're talking about is an entirely different part of the shaft.

DKjeep

Are you talking front or rear shaft? Regardless of the boot, The front Rzeppa joint is at too steep of an angle after a lift. Thus causing the joint to wear out prematurely. The DC ujoint shafts can handle the steeper angles better. I have looked at the TF Rzeppa joint and it still makes no sense to me how that product would eliminate the issue of the drive line angle. But then again, like I said, I have not seen anyone who as actually used it yet.

EDIT: I think the boot you're talking about is an entirely different part of the shaft.

Front, and the boot I'm talking about in particular is the one that surrounds the joint itself. Not the boot that protects the slip.

DKjeep

Here are some pics of it. And I am not going to argue that rzeppa style joints dont like high angles, no doubt about that but I still have not seen one fail due to high angle. Its always the boot. The way I see it is if you daily drive your rig the rzeppa joints are the way to go. If you wheel more often maybe some good aftermarket 1310 or 1350 shafts are better suited to you. These are cheaper than last I looked, can be had for $138 after a coupon from northridge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Here are some pics of it. And I am not going to argue that rzeppa style joints dont like high angles, no doubt about that but I still have not seen one fail due to high angle. Its always the boot. The way I see it is if you daily drive your rig the rzeppa joints are the way to go. If you wheel more often maybe some good aftermarket 1310 or 1350 shafts are better suited to you. These are cheaper than last I looked, can be had for $138 after a coupon from northridge.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Time will tell.

Top Bottom