Trail cooks! What do you use to cook on?

RUBEERCON

I'm going to purchase a green mountain pellet grill. It's 12v and 110 power source. Anyone using one??

This grill will be used at home and occasionally on 2-3 day off road trips
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466650617.485540.jpg

We have been carrying a Weber round grill grate and setting it on rocks with charcoal under it.

What do you guys cook on the trail with?

RUBEERCON

Dang it! 2 more grills I want now! I always wanted to get into stir fry.

Burned in the green mountain tonight. It's pretty wicked but a bit bulky if you have lots of other gear. The 12volt source is pretty neat. Set and forget smoker with wifi phone app and temp probe. Now have to read up on how to use all the features.

Is that Brunton running on a propane bottle?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Dang it! 2 more grills I want now! I always wanted to get into stir fry.

Burned in the green mountain tonight. It's pretty wicked but a bit bulky if you have lots of other gear. The 12volt source is pretty neat. Set and forget smoker with wifi phone app and temp probe. Now have to read up on how to use all the features.

Is that Brunton running on a propane bottle?

You can't buy the Brunton anymore (at least not new). It will run on small green bottles or a regular propane tank (comes with provisions for both). Back when they were originally sold, the MSRP was between $400-$600. I scored and got this one brand new in the box, never used or unpacked, for $99 at a garage sale this summer. It is seriously bombproof. If you can find one used in the $200 range, I'd snap it up.

RUBEERCON

Green Mountain pellet grill burn in completed. It should work great, holds 150 deg and heats up to 550 for searing. It was 90 outside so those are optimal temps. Grill area will hold 3 chickens or a big pork but. Looks like the perfect unit for feeding groups up to 8 people. Im sure it will hold 10 burger patties.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466787413.014378.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Green Mountain pellet grill burn in completed. It should work great, holds 150 deg and heats up to 550 for searing. It was 90 outside so those are optimal temps. Grill area will hold 3 chickens or a big pork but. Looks like the perfect unit for feeding groups up to 8 people. Im sure it will hold 10 burger patties.
View attachment 209653

Do you have a trailer to haul that thing? It looks massive!

No way I could haul something like that on the trail. At least not with all my recover gear, tools and other gear for 4 people.

RUBEERCON

Building my off road trailer as we speak. Yes it's about the size of a cooler. My winch bag and tools and camp gear all wedge in. Puma compressor and yeti50. Just leaves room for me and the wife. I need to work on a better system. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466802271.480641.jpg

toxicwaste29

We sell those where I work. I could have tried getting you good pricing. I prefer a camp grill. Those are heavy and take up a lot of space since you also have to carry around a bag of pellets. Also not a fan inside a vehicle since they can tip and spill stuff. Inside a truck bed though would be okay

RUBEERCON

Agree. It's for the occasional trip and base camp. I still like my replacement grill grate laid over stacked rocks and a small bag of charcoal. That set up is hardly noticeable in the pack of gear.

jetboil makes a two burner grill that folds up nicely into a pretty compact package for weekend trips. it's called the genesis and runs off the small green propane tanks and comes with fry pan and a 5 liter pot. i'll probably end up getting one of these along with the flash attachment before my next big camping trip. right now, we just have a small propane weber...not ideal for packing.

http://www.jetboil.com/genesis-base-camp-system/

GraniteCrystal

jetboil makes a two burner grill that folds up nicely into a pretty compact package for weekend trips. it's called the genesis and runs off the small green propane tanks and comes with fry pan and a 5 liter pot. i'll probably end up getting one of these along with the flash attachment before my next big camping trip. right now, we just have a small propane weber...not ideal for packing.

http://www.jetboil.com/genesis-base-camp-system/

That's sweet. I hadn't seen them come out with that yet. Also, there's a small to decent chance that I helped design the lid with strainer on that thing. Did some work for them back in college on something like this. Cool to see it in real life if that is my work.

Top Bottom