Tow rigs

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I'm curious what others are using to haul there jeeps around with. Im trying to make some decisions and can't decide, and could use some feedback from someone doing it regularly.

projectMMTB

H&S motorsports tuned 6.7l Ford F250.
We tow our boat, camper, and my jeep with it and it does great. No, not at the same time obviously.
I have a buddy who tows his mud truck on 40s with a stock 2016 ram 2500 and it does great too.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466797013.482455.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466797037.893562.jpg
Ours is a 4" lift on 37s

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
H&S motorsports tuned 6.7l Ford F250.
We tow our boat, camper, and my jeep with it and it does great. No, not at the same time obviously.
I have a buddy who tows his mud truck on 40s with a stock 2016 ram 2500 and it does great too.
View attachment 209678
View attachment 209679
Ours is a 4" lift on 37s

Great looking truck. What type of trailer do you use?

I am looking at dodge 2500 diesel and a 20' gooseneck. I am kicking around the idea of a bumper pull so I could also haul a camper in the bed, but can't decide..

trailraider

this was my set up. I have recently acquired a Rebel. (no pics yet)

Attachments

• Jays iphone 032.jpg
    Jays iphone 032.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 878

projectMMTB

Great looking truck. What type of trailer do you use?

I am looking at dodge 2500 diesel and a 20' gooseneck. I am kicking around the idea of a bumper pull so I could also haul a camper in the bed, but can't decide..

We tow everything bumper pull. Jeep trailer I believe is 18ft
Our camper is 36ft and we have no problems towing it either and outweighs my jeep by a lot. Invest in a good sway bar/stabilizer system for your camper if you get one and it keeps the trailer from wondering around.

projectMMTB

On a side note we towed the camper with a tuned 5.0 f150 before we traded it and got the new truck and it did DECENT. But not GREAT. Night and day between the f150 and f250.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
We tow everything bumper pull. Jeep trailer I believe is 18ft
Our camper is 36ft and we have no problems towing it either and outweighs my jeep by a lot. Invest in a good sway bar/stabilizer system for your camper if you get one and it keeps the trailer from wondering around.

thank you for the feedback. How much does your camper weigh?

Speeddmn

A goodneck is and will always tow better better then any bumper pull. Get a big enough trailer to put a camper on the front and jeep on the back. Pretty common and will tow much better then one thinks

trailraider

How did that pull?

it pulls really nice. I haven't pulled with the Rebel yet, but I'm hoping the air ride will be nicer. the Kids kept complaining the rear was too small. so I got a crew cab now.

I also pull a 32' travel trailer at about 8500lbs loaded.

the truck was capable of just under 11,000.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
A goodneck is and will always tow better better then any bumper pull. Get a big enough trailer to put a camper on the front and jeep on the back. Pretty common and will tow much better then one thinks

That is what I would like to do, and would need a minimum of 26' deck to make it work. Im just arguing bumper pull because I could get into everything cheaper, but don't want to sacrifice safety since the load will be at or over 10,000 no matter which option. A guy told me one time that anything over 10,000 shouldn't be touched with your bumper. Never hauled that much, so no clue

Grubbicon

I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466800714.629110.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466800729.573974.jpg

EDIT: I think its worth mentioning that I wouldnt consider a truck that is not 4wd. There is a few places we go wheeling that require 4wd to get to the parking lot because its a long steep gravel hill. Also times ground is wet enough have to use it.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying

EDIT: I think its worth mentioning that I wouldnt consider a truck that is not 4wd. There is a few places we go wheeling that require 4wd to get to the parking lot because its a long steep gravel hill. Also times ground is wet enough have to use it.

I really like your truck, I wish I had a need for a dually. Thanks for sharing, and I totally agree with getting 4wd. There is a place I frequent that I'm not sure how you would leave if you had to pull out in 2wd..

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying.

View attachment 209688 View attachment 209689

Man that is a nice looking truck. Other than drinking DEF. what's your thoughts on it? They're pretty rare over here but I'm looking at one to tow the bigger boats at work.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would get a crew cab 4x4 diesel dually if possible. The dually will help with the weight and the swaying if you get into wind. The diesel will just help all around. They won't work as hard as a gas pulling the same load. They will also get better mpg. I would also get the 4x4 because I've seen too many 2wd diesels stuck on wet grass. They are just too heavy on the front end. I would get a 35 or 40 foot gooseneck trailer so I could A) put a camper on the front of it when needed to help keep the wife happy and B) haul two rigs at once if needed. Obviously pulling the camper off. A 40 footer is long and can be a pain but once you get use to it they aren't too bad.

All of that being said, I'm broke as shit so I just drive mine and hope it doesn't break and really haven't done anything or went anywhere it was worth hauling. If needed I can borrow my parents truck and trailer but want to get my own someday.

Top Bottom