Teraflex - Bad rep for a reason or isolated cases?

BenJKWrangler15

Since I joined up the forum, I scrolled a lot trough subjects and encountered many memes, opinions and quite frankly bad rep revolving around Teraflex's products. Are those comments & post isolated cases troughout Teraflex products or are they really not that great?

Teraflex puts out a lot of YouTube content claiming that their products are "above" average if not bullet proof. Is it all just glitter & rainbows or are they really any good?

Let's hear it from real day-to-day Teraflex products users! What do you guys have to say about them?

Thanks!

A concerned shopper.

FLKEYSJK

I have a 2.5 coil lift from Teraflex and I find it to ride kinda harsh. Also I'm pretty sure all of their products are made in China so you just can't expect the same quality as an American product like EVO

mo0s3

I've heard bad and I have heard good, find what works for you and enjoy the trail :)
Everyone has opinions and some hop on the bandwagon to be in the cool crowd lol.
I see a lot of post on teraflex and it seems that Teraflex blames product issues on the installer rather then own up to it. Again, it's just what I have read so you can take that however you like .
These forums are a great resource for products and knowledge and it could save you time and money [emoji16]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly just about everything is crap! It's all Chinese parts. The same as shittybuilt and others that are under the trans american umbrella. When your stuff breaks they will blame it on installer error and not it being a faulty part.

I have their 6" long arm kit & their dual rate swaybar, I've had the lift kit for just over 2 years now and never had a problem with it (I don't wheel that much though). I also really like the swaybar too, never had a problem out of it.

I've heard a few things about the older kits having bad control arm brackets that would fail and I learned from the recent Fork Yeah video that I'm probably going to have to upgrade my bushings at some point.

I met Dennis at EJS this year, he's a actually a very quiet guy in person, but he is awesome and a really great guy. My track record with Teraflex is good so far so I can't say anything bad about them. I'm also kind of biased since I used to live in Utah and because they're the local company everyone ran their stuff.

Last edited:

BenJKWrangler15

Honestly just about everything is crap! It's all Chinese parts. The same as shittybuilt and others that are under the trans american umbrella. When your stuff breaks they will blame it on installer error and not it being a faulty part.

Really? I never would of thought it was a chinese-marketed company! After all, their kits aren't exactly cheap & I do believe that you usually pay for what you get... Damn.

Disapointed, as this is news for me [emoji52]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Really? I never would of thought it was a chinese-marketed company! After all, their kits aren't exactly cheap & I do believe that you usually pay for what you get... Damn.

Disapointed, as this is news for me [emoji52]

Yup! All Chinese. The mopar lift kits are (or at least use to be) just teraflex parts rebranded as mopar.

The reason you hear about them a lot of just because they market the shit out of this crap. Also people will stand behind it even if they don't like it just to justify their purchase of these over priced lifts.

Yup! All Chinese. The mopar lift kits are (or at least use to be) just teraflex parts rebranded as mopar.

The reason you hear about them a lot of just because they market the shit out of this crap. Also people will stand behind it even if they don't like it just to justify their purchase of these over priced lifts.

Yup this is true I originally had a 2.5" lift kit installed on my Jeep at a Jeep dealer in SLC, UT and it was a Teraflex kit.

Nimbo

I had/have the 2.5" TeraFlex coil lift, and it ruined the Jeep in my opinion. I was sucked in by the marketing without coming onto a forum like this and hearing the real deal reports. I have replaced my shocks with Rancho 9000's and soon to replace my coils, and I CAN'T WAIT! The ride was so harsh and jarring, all it served was giving enough room for 35's. I would never go TeraFlex for anything, other than a giggle at their entertaining videos.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

To help the op can you give him a list of TF products you used and why you didn't like them?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
To help the op can you give him a list of TF products you used and why you didn't like them?

Their shocks are garbage monotube that leak.
Their springs are harder than a rock.
Their control arm bushing blow out after one trip.
Their tire carrier doesn't hold the tire on the tailgate, it cracks.
Their speed bumps are aluminum beer cans with spray foam in them.

What else you want? Their budget boost is alright since it's the same poly spacers as everyone else.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

What else you want? Their budget boost is alright since it's the same poly spacers as everyone else.

I'll agree with their spacers. Kinda hard to fuck those up.

USMC Wrangler

I have TF coil spacers in the rear with no issues. Like OverlanderJK and olram30 said, hard to jack those up.

I did have TF sway bar quick disconnects. They were a pain to remove/install. After several months one of the lower studs sheared off while on pavement. TF would not warranty them nor the vender. They went in the garbage and I decided never to buy anything of theirs again made out of "metal". I know it's not a major component, but that was pretty hairy trying to drive home without having the front swaybar connected.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I have a rear track bar relocation bracket from them haven't had any problems yet but that bracket is really not a big parts like a carrier honestly could have made it my self from a piece of square tubing.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

[emoji106][emoji106] I like the beer can analogy.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is part of the problem for me. I get it that most people are on a budget and others just want instant gratification rather than saving up to buy top end parts. That's why companies like Smittybilt exist. They serve a purpose and that's great for some people. That said, you kinda know what you are getting with Smittybilt and the price matches the product. TeraFlex crap isn't exactly cheap though. It boggles my mind that people are willing to pay a premium for shit that has such a proven record of failing. In my opinion, TeraFlex is just expensive Smittybilt.

I wonder how many of you would buy a Smittybilt suspension (if there was such a thing) or pay $700 for a Smittybilt tire carrier.

Last edited:

BenJKWrangler15

Here is part of the problem for me. I get it that most people are on a budget and others just want instant gratification rather than saving up to buy top end parts. That's why companies like Smittybilt exist. They serve a purpose and that's great for some people. That said, you kinda know what you are getting with Smittybilt and the price matches the product. TeraFlex crap isn't exactly cheap though. It boggles my mind that people are willing to pay a premium for shit that has such a proven record of failing. In my opinion, TeraFlex is just expensive Smittybilt.

I wonder how many of you would buy a Smittybilt suspension (if there was such a thing) or pay $700 for a Smittybilt tire carrier.

And here comes in the you pay for what you get mentality; Smittybilt is know to be cheap, easy & to get the job done while saving up for better parts, let's say while Teraflex is overpriced for the quality you get from their products, according to a lot of users. That said, I wouldn't be as sad to buy one of their kit for a 1/3 of the price, knowing that it isn't the best shit to get out there but at least having a bang for my bucks while saving for better & still enjoy life off road. They could do a lot better...

Only thing I also trust & love from TF is their install videos & shit. Man, they are handy, easy to follow and give great tips along the way!!! Even though what they are installing is crap... At least you get to learn shit from it, as I am a Certified Driveway Mechanic ahahah.

Top Bottom