Jeep won't start

Torqt JK

About a week ago I go to start my jeep and it won't start. For about a fraction of a second it makes a sound then nothing. No clicking. No dash light, absolutely nothing.

I checked a few fuses, "starter fuse" and didn't find anything. So I jumped it and it ran fine for a few days with no issues. Then this morning and again this afternoon, same exact thing. Don't know what to do.

The only thing that seems a bit out of ordinary was my "sway bar" light has come on while highway driving a few times. I installed a new battery about 8 months ago.

If anyone has any ideas would appreciate it.

Drdiesel1

Could be an amperage draw, alternator failure or a bad battery.
Have you added any aftermarket electrical devices lately ?

WJCO

Meme King
Check for clean and tight terminals. Specifically look for heavy corrosion on the cables.

Torqt JK

Maybe your local auto parts store will check it for you. They usually do it for free.

Yea I guess that's next. I just checked alternator by disconnected neg battery while running and there was no change.

It seems like a connection of some kind is gone bad, like a relay, but would I be able to start it after it's been jumped and turned off if it's a bad relay switch?

Drdiesel1

Yea I guess that's next. I just checked alternator by disconnected neg battery while running and there was no change.

It seems like a connection of some kind is gone bad, like a relay, but would I be able to start it after it's been jumped and turned off if it's a bad relay switch?

The jump start will give the battery some voltage. The alt. should charge it while it's running. This is why it restarts, but if the battery
has a bad cell, the battery will never recover from a low voltage state. It's easiest to test the battery and charging system with a tester.
If you can jump start, I doubt it's a starter relay. The battery isn't supplying the necessary voltage to even turn on the dash lights.

It's either a battery or alternator fault. Testing is the only way to know for sure. What brand battery did you buy ?

jeeeep

Hooked
I didn't have any no start but experienced real slow crank like the battery was dead. had it recharged several times but didn't change anything.
took it to Orielly's and the battery passed all tests except the cranking test. the voltage was dropping when cranked too far below the stated CCA.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Kinda but it would jump easy. Replaced the battery and everything was fine. If you have AAA they will test the battery for you at your house. Give a printout on the battery issues. Try to sell you a new battery but just decline and go get a better one for half the price at a auto parts store.

Torqt JK

I just had battery and altinator checked at autozone, battery is fine. Found the issue is the a Voltage regulator failure, need to replace whole alternator. $200+ anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Eagle1911

First remove the negative cable from the battery. Then disconnect the electrical connections on the alternator. Then remove the belt. You can now remove the mounting bolts and at this time the alternator can be removed. Installation is accomplished in reverse order.

Drdiesel1

I just had battery and altinator checked at autozone, battery is fine. Found the issue is the a Voltage regulator failure, need to replace whole alternator. $200+ anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Yes! Don't buy an aftermarket alternator. Get one from the dealer and it will last a long time.
The aftermarket junk just doesn't hold up for long. It's pretty easy to DIY.

I would also recharge the battery so it's not overloading the new alt. to bring it back up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom