New 35's Mastercraft Courser MXT vs Toyo OC RT

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Guys, I'm totally at an impasse on which tires I should get. I DD my 2 dr 65 miles per day mostly highway. I'm looking for a tire that will work great for the dozen or so days I wheel per year. While still running nicely on the highway, I'm fully aware that ride is subjective but would love to hear about some experiences of each.

The Toyo weighs in at 75 lbs and the MXT is lighter at 62lbs, I plan on keeping my stock carrier. So I'm not sure if that will be a problem with the heavier Toyo? Toyo is more of an AT/MT hybrid and has a 45k warranty.

I've read the threads already about each (both seem to have good feedback) but still at a loss. I'm sure I'd be happy either way.

Thanks for the help!

Exodus 4x4

If it were me and I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Toyo. Your stock carrier can handle the weight just fine as long as you make sure the isolators are snug against the tire. I ran a heavy wheel and tire combo on mine for pretty good while before moving to 37's and an aftermarket carrier.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I have heard great things about the toyos, but have never used them. Check out Nitto also, ive been using trail grapplers for years and love them

dannymalkin

I have the mastercraft mxts, about 8000 miles on them and the tread wear is good so far for a mud terrain. I'm doing a five tire rotation. Furthest I've driven was around 5 hours no problem, and that's with a lower psi. Off Road they've been great, and not too loud on the road. With that far of a commute I'd still say it's a tough choice. GL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just so that we're on the same page here, we're talking about a 7 lb. weight difference here. If you're really concerned about 7 lbs., you should STILL be concerned without it.

That being said, Toyo's are made in the USA at their White, GA plant and I have always found them to be great tires. Nitto's are good too but then, Toyo is their parent company.

RebelconJk

I'm running the Mastercraft MXT's i really like them so far, they have done really well off road and are not bad as far as road noise. I have herd the Toyo R/T are not the best as far as traction in the rain.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I was making sure that was one item that I shouldn't be concerned about. Really I just needed some feedback on some people's experience with each tire. Tire weight wasn't even a catalyst for my question, but I was just throwing that spec out there. Thanks.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm running the Mastercraft MXT's i really like them so far, they have done really well off road and are not bad as far as road noise. I have herd the Toyo R/T are not the best as far as traction in the rain.

The price seems reasonable too and mastercrafts are made by Cooper. I've heard good things about both.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Also, to respond to a few Nitto suggestions, those are def a viable alternative they are in the mix but the price is holding me back a bit.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Also, to respond to a few Nitto suggestions, those are def a viable alternative they are in the mix but the price is holding me back a bit.

Either way you go your looking at some good tires. If you want a better look at some trail grapplers up close let me know, your not too far

dchotrod

I'm running the Toyo's & have nothing but good to say. Ride is great. Noise isn't too bad (just did a 20 hour road trip & they never seemed loud for what type of tire they are). Off road, rain, & snow they've done exceptionally well.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Either way you go your looking at some good tires. If you want a better look at some trail grapplers up close let me know, your not too far

Yea, I may take you up on that... better yet we need to try to get another wheeling trip together maybe in august. it was too bad you couldn't make it last time. Hope everything got fixed up.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm running the Toyo's & have nothing but good to say. Ride is great. Noise isn't too bad (just did a 20 hour road trip & they never seemed loud for what type of tire they are). Off road, rain, & snow they've done exceptionally well.

That's great to hear. Thanks for chiming in!

DRTYRAT30

I've been running the 37 MXT's on 17" rims for about 1,500 miles and they have been great. Quiet on road and freeway. I've only been offroad with them once in mostly pack dirt light Rock so not much info there, but I'm going to run Slick Rock Ca trail in a few weeks and I'll post a report. My jeeps a 2dr and I've found running at 26psi seems to work well for DD around. I had them balanced on a road force machine and have been good so far. The only Toyo I've run was a Mud T/A on a 4dr super duty and the were great also. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467346826.572167.jpg

Journeyman

About 30k on my rt's and about half tread I'd say. They do start to make some noise if you get lazy and push a rotation beyond 5k. So far they have not had any cupping wear of the center lugs, just a bit on the shoulder lugs. But once I rotate them everything evens out. They are an E rated tire so they can be a harsher ride if aired up to much for the weight of my jku. We just got home from a road trip and I had noticed the air pressure was creeping up, but wasn't to worried about it cause we putting in some highway miles to get home (38 psi) Today was a maintenance day. Rotate tires, grease everything and change out a left front wheel speed sensor. I dropped to 30 psi, which is what I usually run on the highway. So much better! That 8psi was a huge difference.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yea, I may take you up on that... better yet we need to try to get another wheeling trip together maybe in august. it was too bad you couldn't make it last time. Hope everything got fixed up.

I agree on an up coming trip, I was pretty bummed about the last one.. Most the important stuff is fixed, but still have a couple things to figure out before going off-road.

Top Bottom