Bought my first welder

rogerk93

So I just,bought my,first welder a lincoln 140hd it has pretty good reviews for a mig welder. I usually have to send my jeep out to get stuff welded so i thought it would,be better to learn and be able to do more. Any tips or tricks on how to properly weld?

Grubbicon

One big think is make sure your welding surfaces are nice and clean. As said already there are some good videos out there to help out. Mainly the biggest thing is just practice.

rogerk93

Yea when I asked around one guy told me it was fine to weld over paint it won't change anything but that was the first I heard that and was wondering what his welds looked like lol

Grubbicon

Yea when I asked around one guy told me it was fine to weld over paint it won't change anything but that was the first I heard that and was wondering what his welds looked like lol

He may be using a stick welder. In that case doesnt matter how clean it is. You HAVE to be grounded to a raw surface and I doubt mig will even arc on paint.

EDIT: Another thing that came to mind is make sure to keep your nozzle clean so it doesnt mess with your gas.

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
With mig welding you NEED to make sure all the surfaces being welded are clean. The only paint you can mig weld, is weldable primer paint. Like others have mentioned YouTube is a good place to help you learn. Other then that it is all about practice.

Top Bottom