Project-JK Jeep Helicopter Desert Pursuit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in May, I received an interesting email from the owner and general manager of a company called Powerline Patrol Services. Located in Gilbert, Arizona, this unique company specializes in high voltage asset inspections for utility companies and apparently, they were seriously looking into the options and possibilities of building a more capable patrol vehicle. As I would learn, most power line patrol vehicles today are built off of standard 3/4 ton trucks which have stiff suspension systems and have limited wheel travel. Unfortunately, these drawbacks significantly limit the patrol range of these vehicles to easy driving locations and, when the terrain gets too tough, the only other option available has been to employ the use of Helicopters. In the search for a better and more cost effective solution, Powerline Patrol Services came across a few of our YouTube videos and, as you can guess, that's when they contacted me.

Inspired by what they saw in our videos, Powerline Patrol Services decided that a new patrol vehicle based on the Jeep JK Wrangler might be the solution they've been looking for. Eager to test market this concept, they hired a production company to create a promotional video highlighting some of the unique services they offer and asked if we might be willing to bring out our JK so that they could film it traversing the rough power line roads and difficult right-of-ways that are commonly found in the Arizona desert. Happy to help out in any way that we could, we hammered out the details and made our out to Phoenix.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, Powerline Patrol has a JK a lot like Moby only packed full of high tech equipment. It's really badass.

RamP

That was awesome.
I build the best helicopters in the world and it was very cool to see one put to use as a chase vehicle for Moby. What an opportunity.
Now just convince them to buy a Sikorsky chopper and it will be perfect.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was awesome.
I build the best helicopters in the world and it was very cool to see one put to use as a chase vehicle for Moby. What an opportunity.
Now just convince them to buy a Sikorsky chopper and it will be perfect.

While I love driving Moby hard and fast, I must say that I was jealous of Cindy for getting the e-ticked ride that she got :yup:

TheDuff

Sadly, when I tried to view this video, I found it has been blocked:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tyler19

Sadly, when I tried to view this video, I found it has been blocked:(

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Did you try on your phone? It wasn't available to view it from my phone, so I got on my laptop and it said it wasn't able to upload the video, I then refreshed the page and it worked.

CZEBJKU

I just tried to watch it on my phone and it said it was blocked due to copyrights. I also tried watching some of the Wayalife videos on YouTube last night and some of those gave me the same message and was unable to watch.

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys. Most of our earlier videos were made using songs that have now been blocked by YouTube and can no longer be viewed on a mobile device. Try to watch them on a computer.

GCM 2

Sorry guys. Most of our earlier videos were made using songs that have now been blocked by YouTube and can no longer be viewed on a mobile device. Try to watch them on a computer.

Boy, this thread got bumped from out of nowhere! By the way, the actual Powerline Patrol rig is at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ this weekend. Dave K. is hanging out with Dynatrac and EVO Manufacturing ;)

image-1092899586.jpg

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Boy, this thread got bumped from out of nowhere! By the way, the actual Powerline Patrol rig is at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ this weekend. Dave K. is hanging out with Dynatrac and EVO Manufacturing ;)

View attachment 83479

HAHAHA! I was going wait a minute I've seen that video. All you guys were in the Florence video together. Love that one!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 83479

LOL!! Crazy what gets bumped out of nowhere. Did you make it out to the show too? If so, see anything cool?

GCM 2

LOL!! Crazy what gets bumped out of nowhere. Did you make it out to the show too? If so, see anything cool?

Unfortunately no, I did not make to the Expo. I had a late email on thursday night from work that had me leaving Moab early on Friday morning, which meant I missed a half day of wheeling with Mel and a few Kawasaki reps on their UTV's. Mel was only about 6 or 7 hrs behind on friday afternoon when he left Moab for the Overland Expo in Flagstaff.

We felt very guilty half way through the day Wednesday on Rusty Nail and Poison Spyder when you and Cindy were not there to enjoy the completely empty trails with us. This trip was so last minute and was actually a business trip for Mel, but being that offroading is Mel's business how could you not end up having a blast! :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately no, I did not make to the Expo. I had a late email on thursday night from work that had me leaving Moab early on Friday morning, which meant I missed a half day of wheeling with Mel and a few Kawasaki reps on their UTV's. Mel was only about 6 or 7 hrs behind on friday afternoon when he left Moab for the Overland Expo in Flagstaff.

We felt very guilty half way through the day Wednesday on Rusty Nail and Poison Spyder when you and Cindy were not there to enjoy the completely empty trails with us. This trip was so last minute and was actually a business trip for Mel, but being that offroading is Mel's business how could you not end up having a blast! :thumb:

:cheesy: I appreciate you guys feeling guilty on our behalf but really, there was need for it. I have little doubt that there'll be other trips that we'll get a chance to hook up. Bummer you had to cut out early and had to miss the show.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I even drove all the way to flagstaff and waited at the gates for you.

Top Bottom