JK springs and shocks on a TJ

CC Dad

Has anyone done this? I have a friend that owns a shop and I he said next time he lifts a JK he would give me the shocks and springs he removes if I want them. I'm not really interested in the lift this is suppose to give but I would consider it a bonus. I have heard it will give a dramatically better ride. I'm working on making my jeep something better for my wife and I to travel in. So anyway has anyone done it and is it worth the trouble?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Has anyone done this? I have a friend that owns a shop and I he said next time he lifts a JK he would give me the shocks and springs he removes if I want them. I'm not really interested in the lift this is suppose to give but I would consider it a bonus. I have heard it will give a dramatically better ride. I'm working on making my jeep something better for my wife and I to travel in. So anyway has anyone done it and is it worth the trouble?

There was a guy around me that did this to his tj. I think he got a decent amount of lift out of them. Couldn't tell you about how it rode tho cause i knew he threw spacers on top of them to get 7" total of lift. Sorry that this isn't much help on the ride quality

Scrambler

The front springs will work. The backs will need some modification. The shocks need some adapters. The back will lift it substantially more than the front. Most people run a spacer on the front springs.

CC Dad

Will it be enough lift to need a t case drop or an SYE? I'm not sure I want to get in to all that right now.

spencerd45

Not sure about this. I did this with my jku and my friends tj. He has a 1997 jeep tj 4cyld, soft top, half doors. (Lightest combination I could imagine) and he only gained about 2 inches of lift, mostly in the rear. In my case it was a waste of time and effort

Scrambler

Not sure about this. I did this with my jku and my friends tj. He has a 1997 jeep tj 4cyld, soft top, half doors. (Lightest combination I could imagine) and he only gained about 2 inches of lift, mostly in the rear. In my case it was a waste of time and effort

I concur with this. After reading multiple posts by people who have done it and talking with my boss who did it on a 4.0 TJ, it really is a lot of effort for minimal gains. Although, my boss gained close to 4" in the rear, granted this was on an 8.8 rear end which probably accounts for the extra 2". His advice to me when I was kicking this idea around was to save up for good a long arm kit. He ran the JKU shocks and springs for a very short period of time before going with a complete long arm kit and was much more comfortable wheeling.

CC Dad

Like I said in my first post I'm more interested in improving the ride quality than the lift it provides. I wouldn't mind around a 2" lift but I never plan on running anything bigger than 31's.

spencerd45

I concur with this. After reading multiple posts by people who have done it and talking with my boss who did it on a 4.0 TJ, it really is a lot of effort for minimal gains. Although, my boss gained close to 4" in the rear, granted this was on an 8.8 rear end which probably accounts for the extra 2". His advice to me when I was kicking this idea around was to save up for good a long arm kit. He ran the JKU shocks and springs for a very short period of time before going with a complete long arm kit and was much more comfortable wheeling.

Also depends on what springs are on the jk. Did the springs come off a jk or a jku. Was it a rubicon? Trailering package? Each jk is equipped with a different spring package depending on options

Each of those play a role in the amount of lift gained. If you have coils off a jk sport with a soft top, u might not gain as much lift as if the coils came of a jkur with a trailering package and hard top

If I'm not mistaken, each coil has a tag on it from the factory. The higher the number the stiffer the spring to maintain equal ride height on every jeep. Higher number = more lift on the tj

Scrambler

Also depends on what springs are on the jk. Did the springs come off a jk or a jku. Was it a rubicon? Trailering package? Each jk is equipped with a different spring package depending on options

Each of those play a role in the amount of lift gained. If you have coils off a jk sport with a soft top, u might not gain as much lift as if the coils came of a jkur with a trailering package and hard top

If I'm not mistaken, each coil has a tag on it from the factory. The higher the number the stiffer the spring to maintain equal ride height on every jeep. Higher number = more lift on the tj

You are very much correct. I thought it was given that these were off of a JKUR from the OP. Would definitely not be worth the time to throw on springs from any other package. The back will always be much higher when switching out the springs unless you were to possibly mix and match springs from different JK models, i.e. Sport backs and Rubicon fronts. I don't know anyone that has done this so I cannot confirm. The moral of the story, or at least my opinion, to the OP, is to not waste your time and buy a lift designed for the TJ. This is the route I will be taking and giving my JKUR spring and shocks to a member.

Top Bottom