Red Rock Rubicon Rebuild (2 door)

bones37

I decided to start a build thread to show what I have done to my Jeep over the past 5+ years and the changes I continue to make today. I’m not at the point where I am looking to tear everything down and start over (as the thread name may imply), but I have constantly tweaked or am trying new things. Hopefully this will help answer questions that other people may have when looking to start a build or changing things up.

Most importantly, I felt the need to add another 2 door thread to the mix. This began as a 2008 Rubicon in Red Rock Crystal with 4.10 stock gearing.

Where to begin… I started with the Rubicon suspension and 14/57 springs with the tow package. I cycled through JKUR 18/59 springs, a 2.5” BB, 18/59 springs and the BB, and even added a body lift to it. I scrapped all that and went with a Rock Krawler 2.5” lift. I now run a Rock Krawler X-Factor 3.5” lift. I have ran the stock 32’s, 35’s and 37’s. More changes coming soon. I’ll try to cover everything along the way. There are some install things that I don’t have pictures of and other things I will omit (brake pad/rotor changes, etc).

My goals from the beginning were to maximize my spending to fun ratio and do mods I wanted only once (doing it right the first time). My preferences changed a lot, so that went out the window early on. I ran it stock for awhile before starting to build. I have done everything in my garage ever since.

01.jpg

Last edited:

bones37

I started out with the 18/59 swap and a body lift. I later added the 2.5” BB on top of that. Looking back on it, the Jeep looked a little ridiculous. I was running 35” Falken Rocky Mountain tires with cut fenders and a huge gap in the wheel wells. I didn’t have to run bump stops to prevent the wheels from getting buried.

Here are a few pictures of the body lift going on, the 35’s on 15” wheels, the BB, cutting the fender flares, and adding a set of ACE sliders. Not pictured, I corrected caster with a set of lower adjustable control arms and centered the axle with a new adjustable track bar. I also added a MBRP light/bull bar to the stock front bumper.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:

bones37

I didn’t care for the chopped stock bumper and the thin cut fender flares, so those were replaced. For the front bumper, I went with a Pavement Ends bumper and winch plate. I welded the light bar to the winch plate. I replaced the fender flares with Bushwackers. I added a Warn 8000 winch and roller fairlead, as well as a Pavement Ends rear bumper.

09.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

bones37

I later added some Teraflex D44 diff covers, an Or-Fab tire carrier, and IPF 968 lights. I built a hoist for my hardtop earlier when I had the Jeep, but here is a picture showing it with the lights.

The Or-Fab carrier was the jerry can version. I purchased two Rampage jerry can containers to store my trail stuff. The containers were red, but I bedlined them since the red clashed with the Red Rock exterior.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

bones37

I started messing with shocks and coils to replace my setup. I tried out a Rubicon Express 4” coil for a bit, but wasn’t a fan. Again, way too tall. Pictured here with Fox shocks up front (4-6”).

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

bones37

I started to think bigger with my build in Stage 2.

37’s. Mud tires. Closing the gap from the tire to my fender flares.

37x13.5x18 Toyo Open Country MT’s on XD Monster wheels.

I had to take a considerable amount of the pinch seam off, as well as a few inches from the Rubi rails.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

bones37

I switched out the coils to Rock Krawler's 2.5" (the old style). I still have a body lift here. This was in 2013.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

Last edited:

bones37

Here are a few things I added to the interior that didn’t get posted earlier.

I have a Pioneer 4300 head unit with Polk db speakers. I was running a 12” Infinity Reference subwoofer in back, but it was taking up too much space (more on that later).

I added heated seats to the front and covered the seats and rear bench in Cover King’s leatherette covers. These things are amazing and make cleaning super easy. I have a black lab and hair was almost impossible to clean off before covering.

Finally, I added an Or-Fab vent plate for the tailgate and a CB mount.

The CB is a Uniden and I have it stored in the glove box with the amp. It looks a little crowded, but it’s out of sight with the glove door modification.

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

bones37

Here are some better pictures of the carrier and cans, prior to the new rear bumper. I added a VIAIR compressor, mounted to a Synergy bracket.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

Last edited:

bones37

As I mentioned earlier, I replaced my coils with a Rock Krawler 2.5. I would eventually piece it together to make it an X-Factor. I am using adjustable JKS front end links, and JKS front and rear adjustable track bars.

I ditched the hard top since I moved and have had no regrets ever since. I have been running soft top only year-round for the past 3+ years. Here’s a shot coming out from dinner one night when it started sleeting.

Here’s another picture on a clear day after installing a Drake fuel door.

55.jpg

56.jpg

Last edited:

bones37

Time for more armor protection.

Or-Fab rocker armor and sliders. I passed along the Ace sliders to a friend.

I removed the factory Rubicon hood sticker that started peeling and replaced it with a black one.

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

bones37

I replaced the tie rod ends and drag link. I also replaced the roller fairlead with a hawse because I like the look better.

Finally, I added a Fox ATS stabilizer.

Here are some more pics.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

bones37

I decided to rip out the carpet and bedline the interior. I had to get creative with the cable routing for my speakers and amp. This is one reason why I moved the amp to the glove box. The grill also got bedlined.

I also mounted the subwoofer to the tailgate. I was thinking about building another box, but the Rockford Fosgate 10” and enclosure I picked up fit it perfect. A few L brackets and upper support, and we are good to go.

You’ll also notice I took off the roll bar padding and paint matched the areas that weren’t finished from the factory.

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

Top Bottom