('15 Un-Rubi) - Front Axle Weld Bracket - What would cause this break?

james2003w

2015 Rubicon Unlimited - 35,9** miles
I have a puck lift from Les Schwab (2.5" lift, original springs, after market shocks). 35" Toyo R/Ts - No other mods that would affect how it drives

I was turning into a parking stall, and I felt a "pop" or "snap" and my steering wheel went form straight to not straight. Took it to Les Schwab, and this is what they found. A weld on the front axle (passenger side) cleanly broke. From my understanding this is a factory weld, and the lift kit that I have installed (and tires I'm running) would not cause this kind of break. Would it? -- What would have caused this kind of break, anyone know?

Jeep has been towed to the Dealer, and currently awaiting an investigation from Chrysler to determine if it will be covered under my warranty.

Edit:
Please ignore the failure of my phone's ability to rotate photos correctly
Video: https://youtu.be/EJlkINW0AQk (please ignore the audio)

IMG_2844.jpg IMG_2842.jpg

Last edited:

ttfhell

You cracked it earlier most likely wheeling. It happens, factory mounts aren't known for strength or thickness.

james2003w

You cracked it earlier most likely wheeling. It happens, factory mounts aren't known for strength or thickness.

I mostly do forest service roads, if it did get cracked due to "wheeling" then it would have been April of 2015 when I went to Walker Valley with others. That is the only thing I can think of that would have caused any damage... as I was running no lift and 33" M/T's

Top Bottom