So I took an overlanding vacation....

Petej

Fathers day weekend kicked off my week long overlanding-esque adventure. I loaded the Red Wagon down with the camping/survival gear and headed out from Vancouver, Washington.

Base camp for the first few days was a well known camping resort of Name that will not mentioned due to forum rules....

From there (the next day), I headed to Nicolai Mountain OHV, between Clatskanie and Astoria, Or. to meet up with my trail guide. 8 (yes, eight!) miles up a very active, steep, switchbacked logging road (Shingle Mill Rd) is the trailhead for Nicolai. Mandatory rules for traveling Shingle Mill? 25 MPH MAX, preferrably 10-15... Every mile, you call out on the radio the number of vehicles, types of vehicles, the mile post and whether you are going up or down. The road is "just" wide enough for one log truck at a time, or two smaller vehicles to pass each other if you hug the shoulder tightly (some areas do give you some pucker though!) Luckily the worst we dealt with was the Clatsop County Inmate work crew coming down after cleaning up the trailhead bathroom.

After traveling the service road or taking the trails (which range from Basic to "You have to be insane"), you will reach the summit at roughly 2250 feet at the radio tower. Gorgeous view from there. I tried one trail got promptly hung up on a log half way through. With no trees available that wouldn't pull me off trail, we decided to anchor off my buddies rig.... All that accomplished was pulling him backwards in the mud. I didn't budge. I did manage to reverse off the log with some effort and turn around, headed back the way we came. Somewhere in the process, I wrenched my back and took a passenger seat for a time so I could let it rest and just enjoy the scenery. The Red Wagon collected plenty of war paint that day....

The gravel pile was setup by ODF as a hill climb and driver challenge. If it wasn't sloughing off so bad, we would have done the climb. You can see the ridge in the background. 90 degree ridge near the top was a bit much for us...

2250 feet in elevation gives you this gorgeous view.

Once my guide and I were done with Nicolai, I headed off to the sands of Long Beach for the remainder of the day and the entire following day.

I took a self guided tour of Fort Columbia, just outside of Chinook, WA

Near the end of my vacation, I hit up Tillamook State Forest to help with an event there. (Sorry, no pictures of this adventure) :(

GraniteCrystal

Videos are great! I put them up all the time. Publish it on YouTube and then put the link here. Assuming you aren't advertising anything in the video and it's just a pretty drive up the beach, we'd love to see it!

Modit

Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.
I've been wanting to get up that way for some time.

Petej

I'm only about two hours away from Long Beach and an hour away from Astoria. They are regular haunts for me.

Petej

Nice! I wish we could drive on the beaches here in Georgia.

There are some limits to how far you can drive on the Beaches here in Washington and Oregon.

Speed limit for both states is 25MPH. No stunts (Ex: Donuts, rooster tails) that would endanger yourself and other drivers. If you're alone on the stretch of beach, it's at your own risk.

I know Washington better than Oregon though.

Long Beach has 26 miles of sand, but not all of that is drive-able, especially during the Tourist Season (April through September) due to the insane amount of people on the beach. I covered about 3 or four miles during that short drive. I had some video of the ten mile drive between Long Beach and Ocean Park, but that video was corrupted, so it never rendered correctly. :( ATV's, and Side By sides are NOT allowed on Washington Beaches. Oregon is fine with these though from my understanding.

What drives me insane (and Local Law enforcement) is all the idiots that think you can drive your Motorhome/RV/Towed trailer out on the sand. They get stuck, often in the tideline where the sand turns into quick sand. The tickets for getting stuck and doing dumb crap are expensive, plus, YOU have to cover your own tow bill, plus deal with your insurance company in the event you do get stuck.

There is ONE towing company in Ocean Park that will rescue you from the beach.... He's usually accompanied by a state trooper....

Top Bottom