Pre powder coat seam sealer

Lexiewalker

Just pre installed my new steel poison spyder front crusher flares. Before powder coating it specifies to seal up any seams with a product that can resist the high heat of powder coating. When I called the shop I planned on having them powder coated at for a recommendation he did not seem to even know what I was talking about. [emoji16][emoji30] anyone installed these fenders in the past have any recommendations?

Lexiewalker

It will be along the top as well. It's a sheet with a tube along the edge. Both the top and bottom seam along there needs to be sealed

I apologize, I don't have experience with powder coating. I did not expect an exterior seam. I would call the powder guys again and ask what temperature they use for curing. I would then research for something that can be sanded and take the temperature. I'm sure there's a product suitable for that.

g00se04

My body shop missed this step on my fenders and now I have little rust spots. I believe 3m makes the best seam sealer.

Nick Zambo

I work in a body shop for a pretty good number of years and built cars on the side for shows. And this doesn't mean I know everything or even pretend too.

Powder coat will not stick to the seal sealer for long if at all. If you use silicon it will fish eye.

If these were my fenders and I wanted them to last I would find a good body shop. Have them use a high build epoxy zinc primer water sand them seam seal all the areas that need it. Then have them painted to the colour of your choice, and just because I know from my past experience I would bed line the underside.

This would take care of just about everything.

(If you find a good body shop they will be able to seal top of the fender so that it looks mint. If it looks anything less your probably at the wrong shop).

Again this is just my own personal opinion and what I have seen in the past. I would skip the powder coating altogether. That said this likely would not be cheap either.

Hope this helps.

Lexiewalker

Yall should have spent the few extra measly bucks and bought the aluminum versions.

For all the money the steel ones ran me anyway you think I chose them to save 50 bucks? 🤔 i don't live in a coastal area, it never snows and the weight is not an issue for me.

Moving on - I just found a different (presumably older) version of the install instructions that seem a little different. Suggesting an extra thick powder coat and possibly a sealant on top. Thoughts?

Lexiewalker

I work in a body shop for a pretty good number of years and built cars on the side for shows. And this doesn't mean I know everything or even pretend too.

Powder coat will not stick to the seal sealer for long if at all. If you use silicon it will fish eye.

If these were my fenders and I wanted them to last I would find a good body shop. Have them use a high build epoxy zinc primer water sand them seam seal all the areas that need it. Then have them painted to the colour of your choice, and just because I know from my past experience I would bed line the underside.

This would take care of just about everything.

(If you find a good body shop they will be able to seal top of the fender so that it looks mint. If it looks anything less your probably at the wrong shop).

Again this is just my own personal opinion and what I have seen in the past. I would skip the powder coating altogether. That said this likely would not be cheap either.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I was already prepared to bedline the bottoms for Ive heard the rock noise becomes annoying quickly.
So far (ive been asking around a while before I purchased) I've been set on getting it powder coated. I just found and uploaded a pic of an older manual that sheds a little more light for me going forward.

Top Bottom