First-timers trip to Moab: Impressions & experiences

Ddays

Hooked
Just got back from my first trip to Moab this past week & thought I'd share my thoughts for the guys that haven't made the leap and scheduled a trip out there. This is kinda a stream of consciousness deal so forgive me if I ramble on or jump back & forth.

First off, four of us drove out in the Jeep from the Pittsburgh, Pa area. 1800 miles one way. The first portion of the trip if you drive is ho-hum. Until you get to Western Kansas. I apologize upfront people of Western Kansas, but that area is miserable. THERE IS NOTHING THERE! Don't get too cocky eastern Colorado, if you didn't have the good part of the state to brag about you'd be in the same category!

I've never driven through mountains like I did through I-70 through Colorado. Now I understand why so many guys do V8 swaps. 'Ol Gruff was wheezin and draggin his ass up & down those mountains. Didn't help with four people (3 women) and a shitload of gear. Here's how low we were sitting. This is less all of us in the Jeep..

0708162126.jpg

Colorado is a gorgeous state. I plan on going back and spending time there for sure.

Moab is an unbelievable area geography wise. The scale of this place is just plain magnificent. I was unprepared for that aspect. The cliffs, arches, and canyons can't be described and photos don't do it justice. You have to experience it.

The biggest thing that honestly caught me totally by surprise is the amount of shelf roads there are there. Hell, half the paved roads have death defying corners with NO GUARDRAILS.
I know, I know, I should have known, but damn, Charles Wells Moab guide don't tell you about that shit! If you are afraid of heights, do lots of research before you get here. I'm not telling you to not come here if you are, just be prepared!

The first trail we started off with was Gemini Bridges. It was shown as an easy one and I figured I'd start the wife out there & see how it went. Well, it didn't. Its definitely an easy one and stock Jeeps have no issue with this trail. The issue is the height of the road. First shelf road experience and she was really freaked out. Once we got up on the plateau we did just fine but then we got to the actual Gemini Bridges....

I am continuously amazed that we survive as a species. I was passed on the way to the Gemini Bridges by a couple idiots in rented Jeeps that had to be going 30 mph. I pulled over & let the jackasses go. When we got to the Bridges, the small kids that suffered whiplash at the hands of their stupidass dad were now running and chasing each other OVER THE GODDAM BRIDGES! Freakout episode #2 for the wife. She couldn't watch and had to go back to the Jeep. I almost said something to Walker Evans but you know how those conversations end up. We left.

Arches National Park was stop #2. Like the rest of the idiot tourists we hiked up that freakin hillside to see Delicate Arch in the heat of the day. Sorry to admit, this was my Darwinnian moment. Its worth the hike but not in 98 degree heat. Bring a backpack with LOTS of water and go in the morning like smart people do. Thankfully we did bring water.

Trail #2 the next day was Fisher Towers. Same deal. Easy trail to start off and do Fins & Things next. Yeah, right. More of the shelf roads and she just couldn't handle the heights. Honestly, I've never seen someone that terrified. She tried like hell but just couldn't do it. I turned around took her back. The kids & I finished but on the way back we went over some obstacles and heard an big ass thunk that all made us stop & look at each other. Turns out the issue I thought I had fixed with my rear track bar wasn't fixed and the passenger side bracket took a one inch chunk out of the composite stop block and bottomed on the spring. That is gonna be phone call #1 tomorrow morning. I cannot believe how many issues I've had with this RK kit. I cant believe I am the only one having issues with it.

That's all for part 1. I'll post up pics & more stuff tomorrow. Thanks for reading...

Ddays

Hooked
It was an absolute blast! I have to organize my photos & I'll post them up tomorrow. Didn't get the chance to get a hold of you on the way back. We were trying to outrun a shitty storm in NW Kansas Thursday afternoon. The weather does not like me out there...:naw: Hell, we just missed that damn storm in Kansas on the way out there on Friday the 1st...

Sullivan

I'll be headed to Moab for the first time in October. Can't wait. Although I'm not bringing wife and kids. And I'll be aiming for some challenges.

RolandJKU

Very cool. Sounds like a good time. We went for the first time in 2008 with an Isuzu group. A lot of fun. I think that was the last year you could drive across Gemini bridges. We also went to tower arch (pretty sure that's the name) inside arches park. And a couple other trails. I really want to go back.

Sullivan

And that is why I prefer to wheel without the wife lol. She takes pucker factor to a whole new level lol.

Mine does too. Just got back from Colorado a few weeks ago. Wife was freaking out because I when she asked if I was actually going to go up Cleveland Rock on Holy cross trail, I told her hell yes!
I laughed and jumped in the jeep.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468207476.847845.jpg

agr1144

I've made it out from Maryland a few times and I'd recommend chicken corners for a long easy run, it does have a shelf road and the trail's namesake might have her get out and walk a bit, but my wife and I really enjoyed it. Several side trails too. Kane creek is out that way, a little more difficult but a good run. Although I found Kane more like 7 hours to run than the advertised 4 in the book.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
First-timers trip to Moab: Impressions & experiences

It was an absolute blast! I have to organize my photos & I'll post them up tomorrow.

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to reading and seeing more!

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

My wife and I are looking extremely forward to going to Moab for the first time this October. We both love the adventure. She does okay on crazy shelf roads. Should be a blast! [emoji106] Thanks for sharing Ddays.

Mine does too. Just got back from Colorado a few weeks ago. Wife was freaking out because I when she asked if I was actually going to go up Cleveland Rock on Holy cross trail, I told her hell yes!
I laughed and jumped in the jeep.
View attachment 212191

Haha that's great. There's a YouTube video somewhere with an older man and his wife (with a European accent) doing black bear pass in CO. And she's FREAKING out the entire time, and every switch back. It's absolutely hilarious.

Jk_nate

I'm going to Moab August the 10th for the first time. I'm excited even though it's going to be hot as hell! Lol

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sounds like I'll be leaving my wife at the rental when I head out that way. Lol

Looking forward to the pics!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Glad you had a great time bro! Sorry the wife kind of spoiled some of it but I totally understand! Adams the same way with cliffs ;)

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks all! Yeah, those cliff roads are something! We really don't have anything like those around here. Sure I've been on roads like them but usually with trees alongside or guardrails! Talked to another family from Ohio and the Dad just couldn't believe how many roads were like this as well. His wife was the same way.

Its funny, I never thought I was afraid of heights before but a couple times I was grabbing the seat cushion with both cheeks! You get used to it as the days go on, but still, its intimidating at first. Next time out won't be a big deal & we'll plan wife activities while I go on the tougher trails!

Ddays

Hooked
Glad you had a great time bro! Sorry the wife kind of spoiled some of it but I totally understand! Adams the same way with cliffs ;)

LOL, No shit! Well I'm in good company then!

I'm gonna go back in a year or so. Driving to Utah TWICE in 3 months is more than enough for me! Kansas :icon_crazy: You can't go fast enough and Gruff don't like 80mph! Neither do I!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
LOL, No shit! Well I'm in good company then!

I'm gonna go back in a year or so. Driving to Utah TWICE in 3 months is more than enough for me! Kansas :icon_crazy: You can't go fast enough and Gruff don't like 80mph! Neither do I!

Lol! I wanted to kill myself driving thru Kansas! I also laughed at the speed limit of 80 in Utah and gladly only did 65-70 cause I knew knuckles would hate me if I tried

PabloK

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you had a great time! I do agree Colorado is just amazing... great place to own a jeep!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Great write up for this trip. Moab and the Colorado high country are so close in miles to each other and so far apart in the type of trails you'll encounter. Hope you get a chance to come back and explore each. You can spend a lifetime wheelin' both places. Sullivan's shot of Cleveland Rock on Holy Cross Trail represents one of the more famous single challenges near I-70. It gets worse every year from erosion, lots of wheelers and is a biddy when it rains. :thumb::thumb:to both of you!

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks for sharing... sounds like you had a great time! I do agree Colorado is just amazing... great place to own a jeep!

Great write up for this trip. Moab and the Colorado high country are so close in miles to each other and so far apart in the type of trails you'll encounter. Hope you get a chance to come back and explore each. You can spend a lifetime wheelin' both places. Sullivan's shot of Cleveland Rock on Holy Cross Trail represents one of the more famous single challenges near I-70. It gets worse every year from erosion, lots of wheelers and is a biddy when it rains. :thumb::thumb:to both of you!

Its really striking how the terrain changes in just that 4 hour trip between Moab and the high country on I-70. That corridor's gotta be one of the meccas for 4WD trails. I've never been to the California & Nevada areas yet but what great places to live. And it seems almost everyone out there is an outdoorsman of some type.

Colorado's gonna be next trip I plan. Lots of shelf roads there as well I presume? :shock:

Top Bottom