5th Wheel toy hauler advice

PilotJK

Hi everyone!

I'm looking into a 5th wheel toy hauler. Any suggestions and recommendations? Doing some research and its a little confusing...

mackey

Buy used. I had a 30 ft Rage-N. Loved it. I don't think they make them anymore. If you do a lot of dry camping, get the largest water, grey and black tanks available.

FastZach

My dad just bought a new 42' XLR with the 12' garage. It is really nice. Paid about $60k for it. If buying new I would be super careful. Local dealers in AZ quoted $90k plus for the same trailer.

Speeddmn

Buy used, buy used! They deprecate so much that if you trade in a couple years later you are still 50% upside down! Buy in the winter when demand is less. When I say buy used, find one with a built in generator and low hours, usually means they used plug ins at a camp ground. Find the one with the layout you want. Typical 4 seat UTV's are 12 foot in length, look for fuel station, toy lock, patio set for the back door. I would look for one with 3 slides on the driver side, this way the awening is better used, outdoor kitchens are awesome also! Since its 2016, find something from 2010-2014. Check the tires and spare, if any look rotted replace them all.

Buy used! Haha, good luck. Wish I would have used my own advice!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They almost all smell like gas on the inside unless they have a true separated garage. Local dealer told me the smell of gas in the living space is the #1 complaint he gets from people who have owned one for more than one year and are looking to sell or trade in.

FastZach

Buy used, buy used! They deprecate so much that if you trade in a couple years later you are still 50% upside down! Buy in the winter when demand is less. When I say buy used, find one with a built in generator and low hours, usually means they used plug ins at a camp ground. Find the one with the layout you want. Typical 4 seat UTV's are 12 foot in length, look for fuel station, toy lock, patio set for the back door. I would look for one with 3 slides on the driver side, this way the awening is better used, outdoor kitchens are awesome also! Since its 2016, find something from 2010-2014. Check the tires and spare, if any look rotted replace them all.

Buy used! Haha, good luck. Wish I would have used my own advice!

Buying used is the way to go but we ran into people who paid way to much retail and were asking new price for a 2 year old trailer. To the OP, this is sound advice

Mtb275

They almost all smell like gas on the inside unless they have a true separated garage. Local dealer told me the smell of gas in the living space is the #1 complaint he gets from people who have owned one for more than one year and are looking to sell or trade in.

I had a 32' Sandpiper toy hauler for seven years. I never had an issue with the gas smell. It is all how you take care of it. Shut fuel off on toys before you transport them. Clean the hauler after you have had toys in it. And the biggest thing, don't use your toy hauler as a long term storage space for your toys.

Speeddmn

I had a 32' Sandpiper toy hauler for seven years. I never had an issue with the gas smell. It is all how you take care of it. Shut fuel off on toys before you transport them. Clean the hauler after you have had toys in it. And the biggest thing, don't use your toy hauler as a long term storage space for your toys.

Yes, the fuel smell can get you. The seperate garage is the "way" to go, but it is lost living space at camp. If you go with a garage, same advice, sont store toys in it for long term, open the vents when driving. If going with out the garage, same advice! If you can get used from the dealer thats the way to go. Same as buying a car, dont pyo r all the dumb crap at the dealer, buy the protection stuff after, extending the warranty also.

PilotJK

Thanks for the feedback... What do you all think regarding the D rings. Some manufacturers claim there's the strongest? Any truth or is it a sales pitch?

Speeddmn

Thanks for the feedback... What do you all think regarding the D rings. Some manufacturers claim there's the strongest? Any truth or is it a sales pitch?

Talkin the attachments on the floor? I don't have a 5th wheel, but I have a 27 foot bumper pull toy hauler, and I've destroyed atleast one every trip out. The mount itself is tough, the ring portion is a very light/weak metal and bends to easy.

Top Bottom