iPad Mount in JK

tcjku

I've seen several threads where people are trying to mount their iPad or other tablet in their JK. There were a lot of ingenious solutions, but some of them seemed a bit rickety. I found a cheap, solid solution and I'm going to share it here:

RAM provide a rail mount that is designed for rails that have a 90 degree angle on them. It fits perfectly on the JK's grab rail. The model is RAM-B-108BU. It comes with a couple of different hose clamps, the longer of which is 8" and is long enough to go around the grab rail. This mount costs around $20. It looks like this:

RAM-B-108BU.jpg

To avoid damage to the grab rail, I cut the end from a couple of tube socks and wrapped them around the grab rail before clamping the mount on. Here's what the mount looks like when attached to the rail:

2016-07-18 18.49.39.jpg

2016-07-18 18.49.09.jpg

Once the mount is installed you can use a short RAM mount arm and the tablet mount of your choice. The mount is solid and put the iPad in a place where it is easily reached but not in the way of any other controls or vents. Here's what the finished product looks like:

2016-07-18 18.54.17.jpg

Hopefully that saves someone some time and effort.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
2 things.

1 what size ball is it? The smaller ones are just rubber over a post and will fail from vibration within a couple of months.

2 it's in the airbag deployment zone so may become a projectile in a crash

tcjku

1 what size ball is it? The smaller ones are just rubber over a post and will fail from vibration within a couple of months.

It's the 1" ball. I've been using this style of ball on mounts for various things, including the mirrors on my KTM690, which vibrates a lot, and not had a failure yet. Of course, your experience may be different.

2 it's in the airbag deployment zone so may become a projectile in a crash

Good point. I don't think the mount on its own would go anywhere in the event of an airbag deployment. Not so sure about the ipad mount - but that would be the same of any solution that sits over on the passenger side.

tcjku

This works very well. Carolina Metal Masters

Agreed - I looked at this solution. It is, however, significantly more expensive than the Ram mount. Now, if Carolina Metal Masters just sold the ball mount that screws into the jeep in-place of the stock bolt for $10 I'd have gone that route instead.

EttienneM

Here is my ram mount idea. I used rubber well nuts and it turned out very stable.
ac5668f0d578b5961b99aa113c97c3e8.jpg
e58cf843d9f4d0cb6e566a9ebc30e0c7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It's the 1" ball. I've been using this style of ball on mounts for various things, including the mirrors on my KTM690, which vibrates a lot, and not had a failure yet. Of course, your experience may be different.

Good point. I don't think the mount on its own would go anywhere in the event of an airbag deployment. Not so sure about the ipad mount - but that would be the same of any solution that sits over on the passenger side.

An iPad is significantly heavier than a motorbike mirror. The weight and distance from the ball is what determines how long it will last. If your happy that's fine but go up to one of the sizes with a steel ball when it does fail.

I've seen airbags bend 6mm steel plate. The forces released to deploy them are huge and the result in a crash unpredictable. I refuse to mount anything in front of one without disabling it

raven12

I just placed an order for 67 Designs mount. I don't have pics yet, but hopefully I can post some later on this week when it arrives. It mounts using the 7mm bolt in the tray above the radio.

tcjku

Here is my ram mount idea.

That is ingenious. I don't think I could look up at the ipad like that though, so it wouldn't work for me.

I just placed an order for 67 Designs mount.

That's pretty neat - I didn't come across those when I was looking. The 2 ball mount is interesting!

67D-CF-JKM-B2-01_1024x1024.png

@raven12 - when you get yours, can you tell me if the 67 design balls are RAM mount compatible?

raven12

@raven12 - when you get yours, can you tell me if the 67 design balls are RAM mount compatible?

The ball itself isn't. I was under the impression that it was until I emailed them. Theirs is a 20mm ball while RAM is a 1" ball. They do make a RAM compatible mount though. Its on their site. It's just that the ball will then be too big for any of their CF arms. Have to go with only RAM stuff after that.

What enclosure are you using for your iPad? I am frankensteining different parts to get it all to play nice.

tcjku

The ball itself isn't. I was under the impression that it was until I emailed them. Theirs is a 20mm ball while RAM is a 1" ball.

Good to know, and maybe something that could be remedied by wrapping some electrical tape around the balls.

What enclosure are you using for your iPad?

I'm using this one because there's no way the iPad will shake out of it, and it's under $20, but you may want something more universal for future-proofing: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP15U

Desertman

Have the ram yoke mount on the grab handle along with the ram mount for my iPad mini. I use the mini as my GPS as I can use the open source maps for desert driving but I still have my trusty garmin for real emergency accuracy .

mrjoe90

This is what I am running and it works amazingly! Blends in a good 85%, most people who ride don't realize it's an actual iPad ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469041605.590623.jpg

tcjku

This is what I am running and it works amazingly!

I looked at that one too, but didn't want to obscure my factory radio. Does that one only work with a mini, or does it work with a full-sized ipad 2? How easy is it to remove and re-install?

mrjoe90

I looked at that one too, but didn't want to obscure my factory radio. Does that one only work with a mini, or does it work with a full-sized ipad 2? How easy is it to remove and re-install?

I see you have the touch screen radio (430 I think), I have the basic radio with BT so this is my replacement. I use the steering wheel controls to work everything.

It works with all mini versions but not the full size guys. Install took me 2-3min, removal shouldn't take longer than that

Top Bottom