(Insert Cool Jeep Name Here) Build/Wishlist.

caminton

Stealing this idea from HardRock87 with Jack Skellington's build, but this thread is just for me to post my future plans, and throw ideas and thoughts I have up there. I'll update this as I go.

IMG_6653.jpg IMG_6643.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

From my initial wave....
Hey guys, checking in from Lompoc, CA. USAF stationed at Vandenberg for the next year or so.
My DD is a 2012 JK Sahara. Mods include:
-CrawlerConceptz Skinny Front Bumper w/Bar, Tabs, and Fogs
-J.W. Speaker 8700 J Series Headlights
-CB w/4' Firestik on a Teraflex Mount
-285/70r18 TOYO A/T Open Country's on 18in. Series XD Rims
-removed rear bumper and stock muffler
-installed a friend's stock Rubicon coils (front and rear)/shocks (rear) and gained almost 2in.

waiting to be installed:
-RK quick disconnects
-front Rubicon shocks

I have a plethora of planned mods for the next year or so. Can't wait to get started.

So far, my plans include:
MetalCloak Overline Fenders and Body Armor
MetalCloak 4.5" Gamechanger Suspension
Undecided about shocks, feel free to sway me one way or another
New 17" rims (I have 18s now, and realize that 17s will make my tires cheaper, and give me more options as far as tires go)
37s or 38s, undecided on brand
SuperChips TrailDash 2 combined with THIS (EAS Power Switch) and wired up to my accessories with THIS (Painless Performance Trail Rocker System with no switches)
New front axle (probably a PR44 because of this thread
Regearing to 4.88s, ARB lockers
Crawler Conceptz Body Mounted Tire Carrier

That's all I can think of for now, but I know there's more. Can't wait to get started.
I've also added several things since starting the thread.

Last edited:

bones37

That looks good already and your plans sound exciting too. 4+" on the lift is a ton for a 2 door. You may want to look in the 3" range. I'm running 37's now with Rock Krawler's 3.5" and could easily do 38's or even clear 40's with more bump stops.

caminton

Thanks for the kind words.

I literally go back and forth between the 3.5 and the 4.5 every time I think about lift...the plan (for now) is to get the Overline installed first, then axle/gears/lockers/wheels and tires, and see where I'm at as far as lift. I'll still probably end up going with the 4.5, but it could change.

caminton

Tossing around the idea of naming it Tuscan Raider (from Star Wars) because I plan on painting it a darker tan and running black armor/wheels. Thoughts?

caminton

Changed my oil this weekend (boring, I know) and put in a high-flow K&N air filter. Getting a lot better MPG, and it sounds better without the muffler with the high-flow filter.

caminton

Went over to 10abadilla/jk's house today and cut my stock flares. I'm really pleased with how they turned out!
Here we are taping the lines off.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228733.483138.jpg

The lines we used for the rear.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228754.434688.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228798.407519.jpg

Rear cut and front lined off. I don't have a picture of the front lines from the front unfortunately.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228817.060191.jpg

Front cut.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228861.316216.jpg

And here's the finished product!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228896.868875.jpg

After I put on the steps and came home.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228928.041899.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471228973.332106.jpg

Also put on my new RK quick disconnects. They're a little long...darn, guess I need to get more lift!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471229012.487074.jpg

Super pleased with how it all turned out. Huge shout it to Anthony for the help, couldn't have done it without him. He did most of the work on the flares because I don't have a dremel and had no desire to screw this up. Thanks again for all the help man.

madstiles

Looking good ! I went with Bilstein shocks and so far they have been great. Can't wait to see this as it progresses.

caminton

Looking good ! I went with Bilstein shocks and so far they have been great. Can't wait to see this as it progresses.

Thanks! I'm looking at either doing the Rocksports from MetalCloak, or their 6Paks. It comes down to if I want to go coil overs in the future. The 6Paks would allow the most travel outside of coil overs, but are pretty expensive and have a lot of maintenance to them.

caminton

Have you had great luck with metal cloak in the past?

I haven't personally, but I know a lot of guys that have. Their armor and fenders are amazing, and I've seen their lifts run on everything from a street only DD to dedicated rigs that aren't street legal. They're an extremely comfortable ride with a ton of flex.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I haven't personally, but I know a lot of guys that have. Their armor and fenders are amazing, and I've seen their lifts run on everything from a street only DD to dedicated rigs that aren't street legal. They're an extremely comfortable ride with a ton of flex.

I haven't seen them in person and don't know anyone that runs Metal Cloak. I was curious why you would choose to use that company over others provided all the support on this website for different setups?

caminton

I haven't seen them in person and don't know anyone that runs Metal Cloak. I was curious why you would choose to use that company over others provided all the support on this website for different setups?

Great question. Mostly because I made up my mind a long time ago (before I was on WAL) which lift I wanted to run. I've done my research and decided which lift was best for me, the use I want to get out of it, and price. Matson and the guys at MetalCloak are top notch, and are willing to stand behind their product even though they don't offer a warranty.
It's not a dig towards EVO or Rancho or any of the WAL sponsors; it's just a decision that was made before I was introduced to WAL and I've been planning on for some time. MetalCloak's Duroflex joints in their control arms and such are the best in the business, and I'm really excited to get my lift in the next few months

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Great question. Mostly because I made up my mind a long time ago (before I was on WAL) which lift I wanted to run. I've done my research and decided which lift was best for me, the use I want to get out of it, and price. Matson and the guys at MetalCloak are top notch, and are willing to stand behind their product even though they don't offer a warranty.
It's not a dig towards EVO or Rancho or any of the WAL sponsors; it's just a decision that was made before I was introduced to WAL and I've been planning on for some time. MetalCloak's Duroflex joints in their control arms and such are the best in the business, and I'm really excited to get my lift in the next few months

There is no warranty on Metal Cloaks Lifts yet they stand behind their product? Thats an interesting concept

caminton

There is no warranty on Metal Cloaks Lifts yet they stand behind their product? Thats an interesting concept

If you call and talk to the guys, they'll offer you all kinds of solutions and even replace products if there was no fault of yours. A buddy of mine did something to his tie rod and they replaced it free of charge because it wasn't his fault that it messed up. I can't remember the specifics though.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If you call and talk to the guys, they'll offer you all kinds of solutions and even replace products if there was no fault of yours. A buddy of mine did something to his tie rod and they replaced it free of charge because it wasn't his fault that it messed up. I can't remember the specifics though.

I was told a similar line through Rock Krawler, and while they did stand behind their product, their product still failed..

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Since your not a 100% on what ride height you want and your concerned about travel, why not look at the EVO Enforcer Pro? Its around the same price range your in, and there is a lot more support for that suspension system here. All that adjustability and performance for the same price with tons of support..

caminton

Since your not a 100% on what ride height you want and your concerned about travel, why not look at the EVO Enforcer Pro? Its around the same price range your in, and there is a lot more support for that suspension system here. All that adjustability and performance for the same price with tons of support..

I've looked at it, and it looks great. I just think that for me personally, the MetalCloak GameChanger is the lift that does everything I want it to for he price I want it to.

I guess I should also update my OP. I've decided on the 4.5" with Hi Steer kit, specifically because the 3.5" kit and the Hi Steer separately are the same price as the 4.5" kit that includes the Hi Steer.

Top Bottom