17s, 18s, 20? What to go with (or keep)?

caminton

So right now I'm running 18x9 Series XD rims (not sure of the model, they came on the jeep) and I like the look of them. They have some rock rash and I broke off a few of the little accent things, I don't really care about that though.
I'm looking at going to 37's or 38's soon (Probably Nitto TGs, but I might try out the new Ridge Grapplers) and I can't decide if I want to spend the money on 17s/20s, or if I want to keep my 18s and just fork over the extra cash for tires.
Any thoughts?

Side note: IF (that's a big if) I get new rims, I will be going for slabs. So that'll push me back further on my timeline to save the money and get the wheels/tires at the same time.

caminton

Yeah, I just really don't want to spend more money on rims right now. I don't NEED beadlocks, but if I get new rims, I'm gonna get beadlocks. So it's less of a "What's better?" and more of a "Should I spend this extra money, or am I gonna be ok how I am?"

Napalm

Yeah, I just really don't want to spend more money on rims right now. I don't NEED beadlocks, but if I get new rims, I'm gonna get beadlocks. So it's less of a "What's better?" and more of a "Should I spend this extra money, or am I gonna be ok how I am?"

In my opinion, run the rims and tires you have right now as long as you can hold out, and then upgrade wheels/tires at the same time if you decide to change wheels. Don't waste your money on 18" tires your not absolutely sure that's it's what you want to keep for the long haul. Wheels and tires are pricey, especially in 18".

Run what you have and save while you do, then get the wheel and tire you want.

Just my opinion :)

thardy

Banned

You could probably sell your current setup to help fund your new wheels and tires. I, personally, wouldn't spend the extra cash on tires for 18s. I'd drop down to a stock Rubicon wheels and spacers before doing that.

Mikelang

I just bought new wheels and tires for my jeep. 17in wheels and 37in tires. I'm very happy with the look. Unless you have a money tree in your backyard, forking up for new wheels and tires at the same time sucks. Especially if your getting 5 each. I'd start saving now and run what you have until you save enough.

dillard09

I say save till you get what you want. In the meantime run what you have.
I know there is a guy selling 4 slabs with 37x nitto TG (2 good 2 bad tires) for 1300 for them all on Craigslist in SF valley.

OhNoTheJiggies

If you want to save money, you can find a used set of 17s for $2-300 but I understand what you're debating. I got a killer deal on 18" beadlocks a while back and when I upgraded to 37s, I debated getting some chamber pros in 17".

After a lot of thought and comparison, I ended up keeping my 18s and getting the STT pros.

The 37x1350r18 STTs are load range D... The 37x1350r17 STTs are load range E. Just something else you may or may not care about.

Aren't there deals on Slabs often?(I know they're still not cheap) but you could keep saving up till the deal rolls around again... Someone else would probably know more about them than I

caminton

If you want to save money, you can find a used set of 17s for $2-300 but I understand what you're debating. I got a killer deal on 18" beadlocks a while back and when I upgraded to 37s, I debated getting some chamber pros in 17".

After a lot of thought and comparison, I ended up keeping my 18s and getting the STT pros.

The 37x1350r18 STTs are load range D... The 37x1350r17 STTs are load range E. Just something else you may or may not care about.

Aren't there deals on Slabs often?(I know they're still not cheap) but you could keep saving up till the deal rolls around again... Someone else would probably know more about them than I

THIS is what I was looking for. So you found it better to stay with 18s instead of buying 17s and selling your 18s?
Load range doesn't matter too much to me. I don't tow often and I don't wheel enough for it to matter.

There are deals on slabs often, but it's still a lot of money. And a lot of cash upfront

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Load range doesn't matter too much to me. I don't tow often and I don't wheel enough for it to matter.

You'll find load range mattering a lot quicker than you think. I run my load range E tires at 10psi with out bead locks to get my tires to grab obsticles. I started out running them at 15 and I found that I was just spinning my tires on top of the obsticles rather than grabbing them.

thardy

Banned
THIS is what I was looking for. So you found it better to stay with 18s instead of buying 17s and selling your 18s?

There are deals on slabs often, but it's still a lot of money. And a lot of cash upfront

So you were looking for someone to tell you that sticking with 18s is ok? It's your jeep, do what you want. He also didn't say that he found the 18s to be better, just that he got a great deal on the wheels and decided to stick with them.

So you were looking for someone to tell you that sticking with 18s is ok? It's your jeep, do what you want. He also didn't say that he found the 18s to be better, just that he got a great deal on the wheels and decided to stick with them.

This is how I read it too.

In the long run you are better off with the 17s. You will spend way more in a few tire changes on the 18s than if you buy the slabs.

GoldenJK

Why not buy tires now in the 18s, run on your rims and someday upgrade to slabs in an 18. Yes they cost more but if your worried about that then stay away from 37s. Running 37s right means lots of upgrades in your future. I think upgrading the brakes is a must. I went with the pro grips which fit most 17" rims and I'm super happy with them but 18s give you more options. Also, if you wheel hard then it's hydro assist, axels, gears, etc. It never stops.

caminton

Why not buy tires now in the 18s, run on your rims and someday upgrade to slabs in an 18. Yes they cost more but if your worried about that then stay away from 37s. Running 37s right means lots of upgrades in your future. I think upgrading the brakes is a must. I went with the pro grips which fit most 17" rims and I'm super happy with them but 18s give you more options. Also, if you wheel hard then it's hydro assist, axels, gears, etc. It never stops.

I will probably do the first part of this and buy my first set of 37s/38s in an 18 on my rim. But the second part goes against my initial post.
I don't want 18" slabs, because 18" tires are more expensive than 17". 17" tires offer more functionality too. It has nothing to do with 37's. I know that 37s are expensive. A 37x13.50x17 is less expensive than a 37x13.50x18 and THAT is what this is about.

Thanks for the insight.

thardy

Banned
I will probably do the first part of this and buy my first set of 37s/38s in an 18 on my rim. But the second part goes against my initial post.
I don't want 18" slabs, because 18" tires are more expensive than 17". 17" tires offer more functionality too. It has nothing to do with 37's. I know that 37s are expensive. A 37x13.50x17 is less expensive than a 37x13.50x18 and THAT is what this is about.

Thanks for the insight.

Then why not do what I, and others have suggested? Get some stockers or cheap 17s to buy your 37s and sell your current setup to help fund the slabs?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Then why not do what I, and others have suggested? Get some stockers or cheap 17s to buy your 37s and sell your current setup to help fund the slabs?

This ^^^^

You could even just get some cheap steel 17s and sell your current wheels/tyres until you can afford the slabs

Dalton gang

Just the thread i was looking for , i got stock rims spacers and 35s. They do great on and off road. Im thinking 37s soon and i have a shot at 20 inch rims, not slabs unfortunately but how are 20 inch rims with 35s ? I would need to swap setups .

caminton

Just the thread i was looking for , i got stock rims spacers and 35s. They do great on and off road. Im thinking 37s soon and i have a shot at 20 inch rims, not slabs unfortunately but how are 20 inch rims with 35s ? I would need to swap setups .

You're losing a lot of sidewall with 20s. 40s would be good with a 20in rim, but idk about 35. You're gonna look like a major mall crawler.

Gravedigger11

You're losing a lot of sidewall with 20s. 40s would be good with a 20in rim, but idk about 35. You're gonna look like a major mall crawler.

This sums it up. 17s is the largest i will go. I want as much sidewall as possible. I'd run 15s if I could.

cartertripp

17s on 37s is the best way to go imo. I don't think I would ever go 20" wheels. They give the jeep a show rig look versus an offroad look.

Top Bottom