Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding help

Welding help

Im sure Im gonna catch shit for this because im not really sure where to post it lol. Im looking in learning to weld as I've been wanting to learn for a while now. Im looking for a MIG and would like to be able to weld up to 1/4" steel. Im not very knowledgeable in this area so someone please correct me if my wants are unrealistic. I have to check but I'm pretty sure the service in my house is 150. I have plenty of room in my breaker box and would most likely be setting up an entire separate circuit to run the welder. Please educate me and advise me on a decent welder without paying a ton of money for a miller! Thank you!

Lincoln, Eastwood, and Hobart are good brands. I would look into something like this or the like and you won't even need to modify your home circuit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...14-1/100670934

If you go with flux core wire, you won't need the gas tank either, welds aren't as clean looking but still gets the job done.

Other thing to consider: the money involved in upgrading your circuit, plus needing a 240v extension cord for working in different locations of the garage = $$$$$$$$$$$ Those cords are expensive.

Knows a Thing or Two OhNoTheJiggies's Avatar
    I installed my own breaker and made a cord using individual pieces on sale at Lowes, saved me quite a bit of money. If you aren't handy with electrics, don't do the breaker yourself though. I had an electrician fiend help me out for a few beers afterwards. The cord is pretty simple though.

When I got my welder(cheap harbor freight thing) I got it as recommended by quite a few people. Saying that if In the learning process I manage to blow it up or break it, in pretty much any way, they'll replace it on the spot and I can try some more. Then when I get better I'll buy a good, quality welder.

Search Craigslist for a Miller Lincoln or Hobart

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Lincoln, Eastwood, and Hobart are good brands. I would look into something like this or the like and you won't even need to modify your home circuit:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...14-1/100670934

If you go with flux core wire, you won't need the gas tank either, welds aren't as clean looking but still gets the job done.

Other thing to consider: the money involved in upgrading your circuit, plus needing a 240v extension cord for working in different locations of the garage = $$$$$$$$$$$ Those cords are expensive.
    The extension cable is easy to do. Hit up lowes for the parts. The most critical part is the new 240V circuit. OP: if you aren't comfortable wiring it then please hire a professional. Many MIG welders are 120/240 so it gives you some flexibility being able to fab things on existing circuitry.

Knows a Thing or Two jeff_in_rc's Avatar
    Check with your community college for welding classes, ours has a great one and when I can afford to buy what I need I will be taking the classes.
    2004 RED TJ Rubicon
    Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club

Quote Originally Posted by GR8WHITE View Post
    Search Craigslist for a Miller Lincoln or Hobart
    Great idea. I just picked up a used Miller Plasma Cutter for 500 bucks on ebay. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I just picked up a used Miller Plasma Cutter for 500 bucks on ebay. Works great.
    I'm jealous. Hahaha.

Catch this!
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469221081.433695.jpg

But seriously if you really want to learn find someone who knows what they are doing or find a short course to do.

Knows a Thing or Two jeff_in_rc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.gunman View Post

WTF??? don't get this one.
    2004 RED TJ Rubicon
    Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast